Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

The problem isn't injuries or formations, tactics etc.. none of it. The problem is that 90% of our squad literally don't give a shit. They're absolute professionals at giving the right sound bytes to the media but they couldn't care less about this club. Coloccini is the captain.. the one all the others have followed.

By the time Rafa manages to drive a wedge between Colo and the rest that follow him, the season will be over. He'll be furious about it.. as it was well within his skills to win games as a manager.. he's just dealing with a particular bunch of bad eggs

I love the man and I love the fact he took on the challenge, but I find it a bit too romantic to believe he'd want to stick around after relegation. His rep will not have taken too big a hit trying to save a club that was already circling the bowl and there will be a lot of opportunities out there.

Would be amazing mind but I don't see it. The regime would probably force him out anyway.

How would they know, though? Friends of his time there?

"If you have LFCTVGo, you can hear it too on Press Box from Tuesday night. John Richardson of the Sunday Express, and Geordie supporter, said that is what he heard from his sources. That the club insisted on the clause and not Rafa."

I love the man and I love the fact he took on the challenge, but I find it a bit too romantic to believe he'd want to stick around after relegation. His rep will not have taken too big a hit trying to save a club that was already circling the bowl and there will be a lot of opportunities out there.

Would be amazing mind but I don't see it. The regime would probably force him out anyway.

It's more the fact, the club should be doing everything to keep him

The relegation release clause always sounded like it was mutual.  I'm sure they mentioned when he signed, that either party can choose to activate the clause.  Rafa can walk, or the club can get rid of him for free. 

That would just be the worst.  Rafa says he was actually keen to stay and the club decide he's too expensive and wants too much power.  I think if we're being honest with ourselves.  Both the club and Benitez, will be happy to go a different direction, when we're relegated.

Has he actually been appointed a director at companies house etc?

That wasn't due to happen until the end of the season.

I realise it isn't a big task (admin wise, to get it done), but it says a lot imo.

I realise it isn't a big task (admin wise, to get it done), but it says a lot imo.

It says we have a clause that either side can activate.

Not a chance he stays on when we are relegated, sadly. It won't even be part of the clubs thinking.

I agree with this.

I think Rafa would fancy it.

Don't get your hopes up, man.  We're fucked.

That's the spirit, etc.

Rafa stays with us, we are leading the Championship then in February 2017, a big club comes in for him. We blow a big lead, lose in the Championship playoff final against the mackems, Rafa wins the Champions league, and Pardew gets a new job at Harchester United. My crystal ball is fucked up.

It says we have a clause that either side can activate.

maybe i'm being overly negative.

The club desperately need someone like Rafa though as it needs to be overhauled from top to bottom.  None of the previous incumbents have shown any interest in the rest of the club beyond the first team (maybe it was not in the job description) but the club is failing at every level and although they have often talked up the Academy and U21s, they are massively underachieving as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for a quick fix as usual rather than seeing the bigger picture.  Keeping Rafa on would be a sign that they are serious about change for once.

However it would be just like us to have Rafa say he would stay and then for us to turn him down.

If he really wants to work in this country, then he has very limited options so if he is given carte blanche to run the club as he sees fit then maybe ....

It took Keegan a good few games (8?) to get his first win when he came back. Unfortunately Rafa hasn't had the instant success that sometimes happens when a new manager is appointed.

Who would consider Benitez's reputation as a manager damaged if Newcastle are relegated? It was always big ask anyway to keep us up. If anything his reputation should be enhanced for having the balls to take the job on. If another club were put off appointing him because he didn't manage to save Newcastle then the jokes on them.

I'm of the opinion that Rafa probably wants to stay here, but he doesn't really fancy  a season in the championship because for a manager of his calibre that could damage his reputation. That said, I think that he wants to be here because we are a similar club to Liverpool and that is the environment he really seems to thrive on. So I wouldn't be that surprised if he stayed on - if anything it's us who would throw a spanner in the works because that's what we do best.