Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/12/newcastle-hopeful-of-keeping-manager-rafael-benitez-despite-rele/

Newcastle United have held a productive first round of talks with manager Rafael Benítez as hopes rise that the Spaniard will remain at the club despite their relegation to the Championship.

Managing Director Lee Charnley held a meeting with Benítez at the club’s training ground on Thursday afternoon and has made it clear he wants to do everything he can to keep him on as manager.

Benítez had initially said he would not stay if he failed to keep Newcastle in the Premier League, as he had no desire to manage in the second tier of English football, but he has shifted his position in the last few days and will now make a series of demands of Charnley and the club’s owner Mike Ashley.

If those demands are met – which include full control over recruitment, scouting and player development – the 56-year-old will ask for written guarantees directly from Ashley before committing to anything.

Sources close to the former Liverpool and Chelsea manager have stressed everything will have to feel and sound right before he gives his word about staying, but that Newcastle’s desire to keep him seems genuine.

Although Newcastle are acting with a greater sense of urgency after their second relegation in seven years was confirmed by Sunderland’s 3-0 win over Everton on Wednesday night, they have been urging Benítez to commit his long-term future to the club for weeks.

Charnley has come under intense fire following Newcastle’s relegation and there have been calls for him to resign.

The Newcastle Chronicle has urged the club’s former secretary to stand down on their front page on Thursday, although that is not going to happen. Ashley has also reassured his beleaguered managing director that he will not be fired.

Telegraph Sport understands there is a possibility someone will be appointed to help run the club alongside Charnley in the next few months, but Charnley’s loyalty to Ashley has protected him from the sack.

Ashley has never been pressurised into making any decisions by outside influences and while he accepts Charnley has made mistakes, he continues to trust him.

Club sources have told Telegraph Sport that Ashley will not be rushed into doing anything dramatic after relegation and the last thing he wants to do is leave the club without any day-to-day leadership at such a delicate moment.

As a result, he will give Charnley the lead in the attempts to keep Benítez and although that process will be a slow one, their meeting at the training ground went well and both have expressed a desire to come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

Further meetings will take place after Newcastle’s final game of the season against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, although there will then be a break in talks for both sides to ponder their next move. No confirmation on whether Benítez is staying or leaving is likely to take place until the start of June.

Newcastle supporters are likely to loudly express their desire for Benitez to remain in charge of the team against Spurs and it is the adulation he has received from fans that has been the biggest factor in tempting him to stay on Tyneside.

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish::anguish: "Geordie Nation"

Gonna stick me neck out and say inside there'll be a piece on how p*ssed the folk from Geordie Shore got last night, An exclusive on what John Henry Sayers had for tea and an eight-page special update on Alan Barnes.

Out of the team at the minute, only making fleeting substitute appearances.

With regards to the latest development on Benitez, the cynic in me says that 'hope' is being dangled by NUFC to try and quell any unrest before Spurs on Sunday. As I said before, the club will be terrified of the atmosphere turning nasty (which it could well do)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/12/newcastle-hopeful-of-keeping-manager-rafael-benitez-despite-rele/

If those demands are met – which include full control over recruitment, scouting and player development – the 56-year-old will ask for written guarantees directly from Ashley before committing to anything.

The Newcastle Chronicle has urged the club’s former secretary to stand down on their front page on Thursday, although that is not going to happen. Ashley has also reassured his beleaguered managing director that he will not be fired.

So what exactly would be the point of keeping Charnley if his responsibilities are given to Rafa?

So what exactly would be the point of keeping Charnley if his responsibilities are given to Rafa?

Rafa's move - with the caveat any/all of this is true - seems to be more about ousting Carr and limiting the damage Charnley could do to the team on his own. I imagine he'd stick to ruining the merch/commerical/hospitality/etc side of the club's affairs.

Was Lee ever much more than a rubber stamp for Carr anyway? "This is the player you want. This is the price you should expect to pay." There may have been some marginal utility if he haggled a few hundred £k off of prices here and there but not being a football man I assume he often just did as he was told.

Rafa's move - with the caveat any/all of this is true - seems to be more about ousting Carr and limiting the damage Charnley could do to the team on his own. I imagine he'd stick to ruining the merch/commerical/hospitality/etc side of the club's affairs.

Was Lee ever much more than a rubber stamp for Carr anyway? "This is the player you want. This is the price you should expect to pay." There may have been some marginal utility if he haggled a few hundred £k off of prices here and there but not being a football man I assume he often just did as he was told.

Fair point.

They won't be. They'll try their luck and he'll leave.

Who cares if the Chron's front page is in any way cringy? And who cares if other teams hate us? They could call us the Geordie Nation until the cows come home if it helped keep Rafa, I don't see why anyone should feel embarrassed or ashamed of the effort. It's a very British thing I suppose to err on not making a scene - personally I don't care, you don't get if you don't ask and there's not a person supporting this club that wouldn't be over the moon if Rafa stayed.

I mean people were talking about Charnley offering up his naked wife. Talk about cringey--I assume. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure she's a very handsome woman.

:mike:

I mean people were talking about Charnley offering up his naked wife. Talk about cringey--I assume. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure she's a very handsome woman.

Don't we have someone in here who lives across the road from them? Would they be able to tell us if she's worth pushing towards Rafa.