Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest firetotheworks

Has Rafa even met Ashley ?

By most accounts he's considering staying, so probably not. :lol:

The clause is there so we can terminate his contract because the club won't pay epl manager wages while we are in the championship.  Make no mistake the press release will say a mutual parting because rafa doesnt want to be in the championship, but the reality will be us activating the release clause.  In other words yet more lies to cover up the incompetence and lack of ambition of those wasters running our club.    Charmless is at best a club secretary and Carr was a complete failure when he tried managing in the lower divisions of the football league and at best Moncur had a brief modicum of success as manager of Carlisle.  The mantra from them will be  why pay Rafa  £5m a year when Nigel Pearson is available for £1m.

The clause is there so we can terminate his contract because the club won't pay epl manager wages while we are in the championship.  Make no mistake the press release will say a mutual parting because rafa doesnt want to be in the championship, but the reality will be us activating the release clause.  In other words yet more lies to cover up the incompetence and lack of ambition.  Why pay Rafa  £5m a year when Nigel Pearson is available for £1m.

Obviously I couldn't deny this under Ashley, but then again, why appoint Rafa in the first place if Nigel Pearson is available for £1m?

Wouldn't mind seeing Mark Warburton take over if Rafa goes but he will probably stick with Rangers I reckon.  Mind you Ashley might go for him just to f*** over the Rangers board.

wtf?

The clause is there so we can terminate his contract because the club won't pay epl manager wages while we are in the championship.  Make no mistake the press release will say a mutual parting because rafa doesnt want to be in the championship, but the reality will be us activating the release clause.  In other words yet more lies to cover up the incompetence and lack of ambition.  Why pay Rafa  £5m a year when Nigel Pearson is available for £1m.

Obviously I couldn't deny this under Ashley, but then again, why appoint Rafa in the first place if Nigel Pearson is available for £1m?

Because they were arrogant enough to think it was never going to happen.

Because they were arrogant enough to think it was never going to happen.

Fair point, hopefully that doesn't extend to thinking any old manager can get us immediately back up.

That said, it's Rafa himself who I'm more worried about here, it's very likely he'll decide not to bother with the Championship anyway.

A lot of pessimism over Benitez staying. Let's put it this way - he'll be willing to listen.

And if the board doesn't activate the clause* and actually want him to stay, I think they'll offer him what he wants.

*a big assumption given their history, but they did go out-of-character by appointing Rafa in the first place

Ain't a clue what he decides to do. The entire media has basically gotten on this story as "they hired Rafa too late. Charnley given control by Ashley and failed." If media expert Keith Bishop had any brains he'd be telling his mate Mike Ashley that the only way to right this wrong is so everything possible to keep Rafa and bin Charnley to turn the story and get your brand back in the PL.

Don't think we're gonna get a quick announcement on this one. If Rafa is thinking about it, he might want to "think about it" until we see how Spain do and what happens with their managers job. The board will just be happy to keep him here as long as possible to squeeze out extra season ticket sales, and each day longer is a day closer to next season's excuse of "By the time Rafa decided, all the good managers had already been hired. We're lucky to have Laurie Sanchez really."

Think Rafa may ask for the removal of Graham Carr, and I don't blame him.

If Rafa stays there's no way he won't want his own scouts in place, especially after seeing the sort of squad Carr has put together.

Don't think we're gonna get a quick announcement on this one. If Rafa is thinking about it, he might want to "think about it" until we see how Spain do and what happens with their managers job. The board will just be happy to keep him here as long as possible to squeeze out extra season ticket sales, and each day longer is a day closer to next season's excuse of "By the time Rafa decided, all the good managers had already been hired. We're lucky to have Laurie Sanchez really."

There's no way he'll put himself in that position

I don't think this will drag on. Rafa is too sound to treat the fans like that and if the club are being cunts at all he'll tell them to piss off.

Think we'll know by early next week.

Agreed. Lawrie Sanchez is a much smarter cookie than people give him credit for.

Agreed. Lawrie Sanchez is a much smarter cookie than people give him credit for.

You mean Laurie Sanchez his big brother? :lol:

You mean Laurie Sanchez his big brother? :lol:

Thought you mean there was no way Sanchez would allow himself to be put in the position of being a fallback appointment. He's got a bit of pride after all. :lol:

I mean on one hand, there's not better way of making a club your own than the kind of total clear out relegation brings.  My worry is if he starts making demands about how much freedom or funds he gets our lot will go "Nar, don't need a manager who'll be awkward and want players for the team instead of as a spin on the sell-on gambler, certainly ain't payin' 'im that much neither, came up last time with that Irish geezer we found in the locker room and he was practically free."

I mean on one hand, there's not better way of making a club your own than the kind of total clear out relegation brings.  My worry is if he starts making demands about how much freedom or funds he gets our lot will go "Nar, don't need a manager who'll be awkward and want players for the team instead of as a spin on the sell-on gambler, certainly ain't payin' 'im that much neither, came up last time with that Irish geezer we found in the locker room and he was practically free."

Fair enough if they don't want promotion and to continue on their downward spiral.

Even they must realise it is not working and there needs to be radical changes.