Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

You have to look at Rafas own career to understand why he has chosen us at this moment.  Rafa has his best years as a manager in Valencia and Liverpool where he has nearly full control of all matters.  In contrast, when he was in Chelsea, Real Madrid, etc where he was just a tactical coach, he always tends to fail due to his players ignored his instructions i.e. he did not have enough power.  He needs full control to succeed.  Honestly, there isnt much club in the world that can give him this kinda set up, BUT, we can.  Or I should say, he earned it, by gaining 100% support from the fans and forcing Ashley to give him.

This is a good opportunity for Ashley to wash his hands of any future drama and know the club will be in good hands with Rafa. Think he'll be glad to pass over some responsibility.

again you'd really like to think this was the case eh?  it's how a normal person would react to serial and expensive failure but ashley is certainly not a normal person

Ashley could see it as a chance to protect his investment, possibly with one eye on finally getting the fuck out of dodge if/when Rafa gets us promoted?

Charnley is probably desperate for this to happen because he fucked up so hugely with the last appointment and wants to remain in his job. Can you imagine being the guy who hired Steve McLaren, oversaw NUFC's relegation and then fucked up negotiations with the best chance he has to regain a small amount of credibility?

:lol: "he'll be able to completely rebuild a club from the ground up", it's like you've all just completely forgotten who owns the club. This is a fucking awful job, and that's the reason that our previous managers were Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren. Maybe he promises Rafa a much greater level of control, and maybe he actually gives Rafa a little more control than the previous shitehawks, but it'll not be long before they fall out over a nice bit of casual deceit from Mike, and we'll be back to square one.

Maybe, but that's a totally different discussion to 'why would he stay?'. We already know the answer to that.

It's a different discussion? Surely the inevitable behaviour of the owner of our club (his boss), is a fairly major talking point with regards to why he would, or would not, choose to stay???

Unless Ashley has a complete road to Damascus experience and fundamentally changes his approach, which he hasn't any previous form for, he won't work under Ashley's rules long term.

I don't think he will stay as he won't work on the cheap and why should he?

Well he signed up originally, the behaviour of the plums in charge didn't put him off then.

Before actually being at the club, and working with them directly, and watching first-hand as malaise got us relegated. I'm sure a closer look at the club, and it's ownership, probably goes a long fucking way to making you realise how royally fucked we are.

He'll only stay if he gets certain guarantees in writing. That's not going to leave much room for Ashley to fuck him around.

Ahh good old writing. I am sure Mike has never written anything that he didn't actually mean.

I've said it before, if Rafa takes the job you can be damn sure his lawyers will make his position watertight, there's no way he'll give Ashley the opportunity to do to him what's been done in the past a fact of which he'll be very well aware of. There's no way Ashley and his cronies can spin this one its Rafas way or to the dogs.

I've said it before, if Rafa takes the job you can be damn sure his lawyers will make his position watertight, there's no way he'll give Ashley the opportunity to do to him what's been done in the past a fact of which he'll be very well aware of. There's no way Ashley and his cronies can spin this one its Rafas way or to the dogs.

To my mind then, that's a non starter. There is no way Mike Ashley is going to give up the upper hand in any situation. It's what he is.

Ashley may well fuck it up eventually, by not sanctioning signings or converting the managers office into a Sports Direct store or whatever, but I don't see why he should fuck it up right now. At the end of the day they just had enough discussions for Rafa to sign originally.

I would have thought that the fact that the current model has ended up costing Ashley a shitload of money would be reason enough to give it up. He absolutely needs to have someone like Rafa running the football side of things, it's an investment not a cost. If we had of stayed up, the value of our players would already be climbing as they start to look far more effective with proper coaching.

Guest firetotheworks

As far as I'm concerned, us trying to get rid of Pardew, us having another shit manager in McClaren, us going down even, was all part of the 'short term pain for long term gain' idea, with the gain part of that being getting rid of Ashley and/or bringing in a manager like Rafa. I'll happily take relegation if it means we have Rafa. If we don't, then we fight on to oust Ashley.

:lol: "he'll be able to completely rebuild a club from the ground up", it's like you've all just completely forgotten who owns the club. This is a fucking awful job, and that's the reason that our previous managers were Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren. Maybe he promises Rafa a much greater level of control, and maybe he actually gives Rafa a little more control than the previous shitehawks, but it'll not be long before they fall out over a nice bit of casual deceit from Mike, and we'll be back to square one.

It's a different discussion? Surely the inevitable behaviour of the owner of our club (his boss), is a fairly major talking point with regards to why he would, or would not, choose to stay???

Ahh good old writing. I am sure Mike has never written anything that he didn't actually mean.

Give in to the hope...

tumblr_mm7afqoopc1spvyhro1_500.gif

Guest firetotheworks

You're all fuckwits. Even if he does stay, there is no fucking hope. This is just prolonging Ashley's miserable reign at "NUFC".

So your alternative suggestion is what? Hoping Rafa says no now so that we can all concentrate on ousting Ashley?

Reckon Ashley will give him what he wants. He wants us back in the Prem ASAP, it's the only way this club is of any use to him and his interests. Rafa in charge is surely our best hope of that.

You're all fuckwits. Even if he does stay, there is no fucking hope. This is just prolonging Ashley's miserable reign at "NUFC".

So your alternative suggestion is what? Hoping Rafa says no now so that we can all concentrate on ousting Ashley?

surely using the "ashley will never leave" line of logic then the best scenario is for rafa to stay and be successful on the pitch isn't it?  then we maybe get the benefit of enjoying winning some cups or whatever, and maybe someone else decides to pay whatever stupid asking price ashley is demanding because they can see what the club could achieve with a good manager

Well he signed up originally, the behaviour of the plums in charge didn't put him off then.

Before actually being at the club, and working with them directly, and watching first-hand as malaise got us relegated. I'm sure a closer look at the club, and it's ownership, probably goes a long f***ing way to making you realise how royally f***ed we are.

You seem to be forgetting that he's now worked with them and he's still talking to them. He also said the talks had been professional so far, unless he's lying.

Before actually being at the club, and working with them directly, and watching first-hand as malaise got us relegated. I'm sure a closer look at the club, and it's ownership, probably goes a long f***ing way to making you realise how royally f***ed we are.

You seem to be forgetting that he's now worked with them and he's still talking to them. He also said the talks had been professional so far, unless he's lying.

If he does say no, as is still my expectation, I'd be very very surprised if Rafa comes out and says "They were cunts, I'm done working for them". He'll say some nothingness about not being able to make it work... and inevitably add on that Mike and Lee are the BEST and they'll turn it round (as he boards the first plane out of here).