Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest firetotheworks

Am I the only one that doesn't rate him or think that he's the sort of character to make a enough of an immediate difference?

Am I the only one that doesn't rate him or think that he's the sort of character to make a enough of an immediate difference?

His record speaks for itself, so hopefully he'll have enough respect in the dressing room to get the players to buck up their ideas. That's what I'm hoping for tbh. If it happens of course, which it won't :lol:

I think he sets up for quite dull football, but that is light years better than the shit we get served now. At least its a plan behind it.

He takes shit from no one, so he might kick the players into gear.

No - I totally agree. My gut instinct is that it'll be a disaster of an appointment.

Well I mean, he'd be by a distance the best manager we've had in over a decade.

Not disputing that. It's the timing and the general fit given the shitfest above him and shitfest below him in terms of playing staff.

I'd say we're still nailed on to go down even with him.

I think he sets up for quite dull football, but that is light years better than the shit we get served now. At least its a plan behind it.

He takes shit from no one, so he might kick the players into gear.

Pretty much this. His line ups have been quite defensive IMO, but it's a good model for winning cups. Titles not so much but I don't think we need to concern ourselves there. :lol:

Also, his is a prickly character as you say, I can't see him taking much shit from his players if he wouldn't take it from Mourinho.

Oh and I should add, there's two ways to set up defensively, one is to sit back and hit teams on the break with lightning fast passing. The other is the Pardew/McClaren way of putting everyone in your own half then hoofing it somewhere in the direction of the centre forward. Benitez is the former so that's at least something.

I always say that a manager should be judged by his league record because anyone can win a cup with the right draw and a couple of good performances. Benitez has proved himself extremely adept at getting to finals and winning trophies with his conservative style but less convinced by him over a league season.

As for whether he can make a difference here within ten games, God knows. I don't think any manager can long term while Ashley remains.

Just to remind you our last three managers have been Padrew, Carver and McClaren. He's a fucking massive improvement!

I always say that a manager should be judged by his league record because anyone can win a cup with the right draw and a couple of good performances. Benitez has proved himself extremely adept at getting to finals and winning trophies with his conservative style but less convinced by him over a league season.

As for whether he can make a difference here within ten games, God knows. I don't think any manager can long term while Ashley remains.

The key attribute in a manager, for a team that requires turning around in 10 games, is to be a good man-motivator IMO.

There's more than enough talent in the squad to survive in this league of dross. Just need a manager who can make a decent core of players believe that they should back their talent with the attitude that it's not okay to be losers and have no professional pride. Quite difficult when that's the whole culture of the club though.

Guest firetotheworks

Just to remind you our last three managers have been Padrew, Carver and McClaren. He's a fucking massive improvement!

I'm not disputing that, I just don't think he's as good as some are making out. His record really isn't as great as you would think and the football that his teams play is awful. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him obviously, that would be looking a gift horse in the mouth to the enth degree, but I don't think he's the character to bring a team low on confidence out of a relegation battle. His teams rely upon a solid defense for a start.

Agree on cups if it's a one-off. Roberto Martinez might be an example of that. However, when you make a habit of winning cup competitions surely it's more than a bit of luck. In a sense, our 10 games are a knockout competition. He might be perfect. And, if not, is clearly our best option. Which is why it's not going to happen.