Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I have him quite low down in the pecking order as far as current top managers go tbh. I've never liked his style of play anywhere that he's went and I prefer managers like Wenger, Guardiola and Klopp tbh, but that doesn't mean to say that I now don't think he's a mint manager. Having him as manager of the club that you support is so different, because that huff and puff style that he had at Liverpool wasn't the style that I like, but when it's your own team it's brilliant.

I'd have him below the likes of Guardiola, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Ancelotti and Simone, but very much in that bracket of managers.

I didn't like him until he came here tbh, but there was a grudging respect. Now I'm itching to see if he'll play a bit more attacking football in the championship, because to win the league, draws are no good. That was one of the criticisms I had of him at Liverpool. They used to win a lot of head to heads against the top teams, but sometimes struggled to beat the dross.

Just thinking out loud - how many managers do you think are better than Rafa? I've got Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Klopp, Wenger....

I'd add Simeone to that list, too.

Better than Rafa? Klopp & Wenger it's a no. Ancelotti & Simeone maybe. Lets see how Guardiola goes in the PL, I have a feeling he will struggle.

Simeone maybe. Wenger no. Klopp yes. Ancelotti definitely. I'd rather Benitez than Guardiola too.

:lol: Benitez over Pep.

I might revisit this in a year but aye he is. Pep has been handed teams that are some of the best ever. Benitez has won trophies with second tier sides.  Won the CL with fucking Liverpool ffs.

Best news in a long time for this football club of ours.  Without being dramatic this could be a pivotal moment in our history.

Plus will be nice to stick the middle finger up at all those kunts that said there would be no chance of him staying if we were relegated.

Divide & Conquer, of the supporter/fanbase in full effect here. Ashley's Sports Direct United must love fans like you, who will scrap around for any sort of charitable crumb resembling hope.

If Rafa being appointed our manager and being given full control on transfers plus a budget to go with it is a "crumb"......jeez!

Ps. my kunt comment was directed at those in the media, particularly the twats on SSN on a Saturday afternoon, and was in no way directed at fellow toon fans.

Pps.  without hope there is nothing.

Guest firetotheworks

Just thinking out loud - how many managers do you think are better than Rafa? I've got Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Klopp, Wenger....

Better than Rafa? Klopp & Wenger it's a no. Ancelotti & Simeone maybe. Lets see how Guardiola goes in the PL, I have a feeling he will struggle.

Simeone maybe. Wenger no. Klopp yes. Ancelotti definitely. I'd rather Benitez than Guardiola too.

I might revisit this in a year but aye he is. Pep has been handed teams that are some of the best ever. Benitez has won trophies with second tier sides.  Won the CL with fucking Liverpool ffs.

That's not exactly true imo. Whatever has happened since, Pep created one of the best teams ever at Barcelona, he didn't have it handed to him at all. He set them up that way and he had them playing in that style. Bayern was a very easy gig for him and he didn't prove anything, but that shouldn't taint what he did at Barcelona, because it really was a massive deal.

That's not exactly true imo. Whatever has happened since, Pep created one of the best teams ever at Barcelona, he didn't have it handed to him at all. He set them up that way and he had them playing in that style. Bayern was a very easy gig for him and he didn't prove anything, but that shouldn't taint what he did at Barcelona, because it really was a massive deal.

You're right, and I shouldn't undermine what he did, but IMO what Benitez did at Liverpool and Valencia was far more impressive.

I might revisit this in a year but aye he is. Pep has been handed teams that are some of the best ever. Benitez has won trophies with second tier sides.  Won the CL with f***ing Liverpool ffs.

Rijkaard put that team together imo.

It will be interesting to see how Pep gets along at Man City. His team at Barcelona was probably the best club football team in my memory, but how will that translate to English football?

I might revisit this in a year but aye he is. Pep has been handed teams that are some of the best ever. Benitez has won trophies with second tier sides.  Won the CL with f***ing Liverpool ffs.

I agree with this too, but Pep did get the best out of Messi and stepped them up another level. Still think Benitez's achievements are more impressive.

It's the 'full control' bit I like and that's what he wanted. He sees the potential in this club and knows what he can do with it. We've been crying out for something like this to happen ever since the John Hall days.  It has happened because Ashley must have taken some serious batterings money wise through lousy decisions and appointments.  He's a money man and he'll have said to Rafa (not in so many words)  sort this fucking football club out so that it's making me loads of money because I don't know how to do it.

How comes Barca only got success again once they signed Neymar and Suarez then? absolutely ridiculous some of the criticisms he gets tbh. Only man in the history of football i can think of that consistently wins league titles and gets to at least the CL semis and if he doesn't get the treble it's not considered enough.

Don't ever recall Ferguson, Ancelotti or Mourinho ever getting the same level of expectations or criticism and they had some pretty fucking amazing teams too, hell Ancelotti won the league once with Milan.

How comes Barca only got success again once they signed Neymar and Suarez then? absolutely ridiculous some of the criticisms he gets tbh. Only man in the history of football i can think of that consistently wins league titles and gets to at least the CL semis and if he doesn't get the treble it's not considered enough.

Don't ever recall Ferguson, Ancelotti or Mourinho ever getting the same level of expectations or criticism and they had some pretty f***ing amazing teams too, hell Ancelotti won the league once with Milan.

Shut it Mole, Froggy is trying to be nice for once and support our move and you're trying to correct him.

Don't ever recall Ferguson, Ancelotti or Mourinho ever getting the same level of expectations or criticism and they had some pretty f***ing amazing teams too, hell Ancelotti won the league once with Milan.

All the managers you've mentioned have succeeded with teams that wouldn't be in the top 3 in Europe though. That's why imo.

What a load of bollocks.

When Rijkaard left the team was a mess, key parts of it aka Deco and Ronaldinho and others were leaving or on decline. Iniesta wasn't even a starter at that time, Xavi was in and out of the team wasn't the guy we know him as today. Pique, Alves weren't there, Busquets was in the reserves.

I could go on and on here really, also Messi was a kid at the time although that was good timing more than anything in all fairness. I hate to keep defending him but the amount uninformed crap that gets spewed is amazing to me.

Shut it Mole, Froggy is trying to be nice for once and support our move and you're trying to correct him.

Stop being so defensive, this has nothing to do with Rafa :lol: It has everything to do with the usual bollocks that gets spewed by uninformed idiots.  :rose:

What a load of bollocks.

When Rijkaard left the team was a mess, key parts of it aka Deco and Ronaldinho and others were leaving or on decline. Iniesta wasn't even a starter at that time, Xavi was in and out of the team wasn't the guy we know him as today. Pique, Alves weren't there, Busquets was in the reserves.

I could go on and on here really, also Messi was a kid at the time although that was good timing more than anything in all fairness. I hate to keep defending him but the amount uninformed crap that gets spewed is amazing to me.

Xavi and Iniesta started like 100 games between them in his last season and you reckon they were in and out of the team. :lol: :lol:  Busquets was a fucking kid too.