Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Wonder if he's lightened up at all since then? He does seem a serious character when asked about football but I don't get the impression anyone would hate playing for him. Interesting one.

Carragher said pretty much the exact same about him, but it worked for them which was the main thing. Looking forward to seeing us play with a plan for a change.

Wonder if he's lightened up at all since then? He does seem a serious character when asked about football but I don't get the impression anyone would hate playing for him. Interesting one.

I was thinking the same.  Just by judging from the training pics and videos, that doesn't seem like it is still the case.  I think he has mellowed even further as he has gotten older.  His demeanour seems more friendly now, I think. 

Have to say, probably one of my only gripes with Rafa.  Is how methodical and sometimes boring his football can be.  What Bellamy is saying there kind of backs it up and I know former players and Liverpool fans say similar.  That said, he is still light years ahead of anything we have had in the last however long.  I also love how meticulous he is.  I wonder what Carver used to say in team meetings  :lol:

Bellamy mentions that there are no small sided training sessions and we have already seen that in the videos/photos this time around. So maybe he has? Also saw them in the Real Madrid videos.

I was thinking the same.  Just by judging from the training pics and videos, that doesn't seem like it is still the case.  I think he has mellowed even further as he has gotten older.  His demeanour seems more friendly now, I think. 

Have to say, probably one of my only gripes with Rafa.  Is how methodical and sometimes boring his football can be.  What Bellamy is saying there kind of backs it up and I know former players and Liverpool fans say similar.  That said, he is still light years ahead of anything we have had in the last however long.  I also love how meticulous he is.  I wonder what Carver used to say in team meetings  :lol:

Didnt we have a Liverpool fan on here saying his teams were boring when they needed to be but also played some amazing football when they were comfortable in games? Something along those lines.

I've never been fond of managers that let you piss around all the time in training sessions. Bellamy describes it like an army drill but that's exactly how it should be imo. Fully professional and rafa makes sure everyone knows exactly what they need to do and who is boss.

The manager is the number one person at any club and sets the tone for everything.

For me it's the Owners. Managers come and go in the main, Owners are there for usually a decade if not longer. Most clubs these days fortunes go up and down due to ownership. Owners/Board bring in the manager too.

Doubt it. Main reason why he's a better manager for underdogs in a way rather than a Real Madrid. Personality and expression works better for your Ronaldo's. Djibrel Cisse should probably run where he is told. You find with Rafa, defensive players seem to really love him. Gerrard for example - doesn't seem as enthused by Rafa as you might expect. But Stevie G is a player with zero tactical discipline, so that makes sense.

Interesting read from Bellamy there, I think we desperately need that kind of organisation to be honest though I do like the forwards to have some freedom, i've generally understood Benitez's method to be that teh whole team has a lot of discipline to allow one or two of his attackers a lot of freedom (like Gerrard at his peak) so it doesn't cost the team any defensive shape. This will be essential imo in the championship where cheaply conceeded draws will come back to haunt us in the the run in.

Guest Joe Cool

I'd be very surprised if Carver's team talks didn't include incentives of bacon sandwiches.

I would have given 100% every game if that was the case. Of course, I wouldn't have played many games since I would have been a fatty.

Depends on your interpretation of 'exciting' football really. Rafa's teams have never been about all-out offense but they do at least have a proclivity for keeping the ball on the deck, which has been neglected in our football over recent years.

We've had chancers, frauds, a grateful tramp and a sackless arsehole managing this great club recently, none of whom have had any semblance of tactical noise, game plan, or long term strategy for the club. Rafa mightn't be gung-ho, but he is exactly what this club needs.

I struggle to think of many top class managers who give the type of freedom Bellamy is taking about to their players these days.

Guest chopey

Its about time modern day footballers realise that for the length of their short career they are paid more than the average person will earn in 10 lifetimes and one of the burdens that comes with this is that they are assests to be used as the club sees fit, its a small price to pay for been made a millionaire to do your hobby.

Rafa can get us to win 1-0 in every game as far as I'm concerned, as long as it gets us back in the PL by May next year....'sexy football' got us a long way, didn't it..!??

Results are EVERYTHING this season..we can leave the gung-ho stuff until the last few games as long as we have the necessary points by then.

Don't give a toss what the media/other clubs' fans say about it either...

Have to say, probably one of my only gripes with Rafa. Is how methodical and sometimes boring his football can be.  What Bellamy is saying there kind of backs it up and I know former players and Liverpool fans say similar.  That said, he is still light years ahead of anything we have had in the last however long.  I also love how meticulous he is.  I wonder what Carver used to say in team meetings  :lol:

I think it's when we were watching Liverpool vs some other PL team at the time, Rafa's style can be boring to watch, but when it's your own team it's great.