Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Wonder if he's lightened up at all since then? He does seem a serious character when asked about football but I don't get the impression anyone would hate playing for him. Interesting one.

Carragher said pretty much the exact same about him, but it worked for them which was the main thing. Looking forward to seeing us play with a plan for a change.

Yeah, seen Carragher at a talk in, said he same but the irony of the night was a lot of signed shirts etc were signed champion league winning players.

I'll settle for that.

Good article that about Bellamy and Rafa. He mentions that there wasn't any 'small-sided games' but based on the GoPro video in Ireland and footage of the Open Day there were definitely small sided games happening, so maybe he has added a bit of 'fun' into his training sessions since Liverpool. We have a pretty young group of players, I'd much rather have a manager who is serious about keeping their feet on the floor rather than trying to be 'one of the lads' which is what quite a few managers seem to do.

It's going to be really weird to support a team who are hopefully very disciplined and defensively astute

Good article that about Bellamy and Rafa. He mentions that there wasn't any 'small-sided games' but based on the GoPro video in Ireland and footage of the Open Day there were definitely small sided games happening, so maybe he has added a bit of 'fun' into his training sessions since Liverpool. We have a pretty young group of players, I'd much rather have a manager who is serious about keeping their feet on the floor rather than trying to be 'one of the lads' which is what quite a few managers seem to do.

It's going to be really weird to support a team who are hopefully very disciplined and defensively astute

Having a manager who is serious about good tactics would be a nice change.

I loved Bellamy as a player, but football success seemed to come second to being mates with the manager if that interview is anything to go by. His respect is sort of grudging for Rafa, yet he's waxing lyrical about Dalglish who did nothing on his return to Liverpool.

I think it depends a lot on the player as well. There's some like Janmaat who were fed up of working with chummy drunkards like Carver and are now looking forward to working in a professional set up. Lascelles is the same. For players who want to be part of something big, this is going to be an exciting time to be at Newcastle. Rafa is going to build a formidable team spirit with everyone prepared to scrap for the cause or bye bye.

I loved Bellamy as a player, but football success seemed to come second to being mates with the manager if that interview is anything to go by. His respect is sort of grudging for Rafa, yet he's waxing lyrical about Dalglish who did nothing on his return to Liverpool.

Based on that interview, he's not waxing lyrical about Dalglish as a manager though?

He's just acknowledging the great players that played at Liverpool, for which Dalglish was a great player for them. That's his only mention of Dalglish

Based on that interview, he's not waxing lyrical about Dalglish as a manager though?

He's just acknowledging the great players that played at Liverpool, for which Dalglish was a great player for them. That's his only mention of Dalglish

He's talking about him as a manager.

"There is no shadow of a doubt about that. To be involved with him was just a huge honour. He was brilliant to play for.

He had such a calming influence over everyone at the club......

....For someone like me, you don’t get much better than playing for Liverpool under Kenny Dalglish.

When Kenny was fired a few months after bringing Liverpool their first trophy for six years, I knew for sure it was time to go"

It's not an interview, it's an excerpt from his book. He explains his reasons for not liking Rafa later on but he also says that if he ever becomes a manager he'll use Rafa as the template, basically.

Guest RafaelBenitez

Rafa is the type of bloke to talk about failings even when you win 4-0, to make you improve. I can imagine alot of players getting salty, but that's how he works, people know it gets results.