Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Love the man and it was 3 points. I'm not buying us being so "relaxed" leading with only one goal. We should look to lead with more goals earlier doing the game imo. 1 one goal lead always gives the opposition hope and the possibility to score. Even if the team we play against is shit they could score late on. Also its difficult to defend in a relaxed way only leading with one goal, it's always gonna panic most players.  Imo the line is too thin we we are good enough to finish teams off. 3 points today though, get in!

Guest palnese

Would love to us play with Atsu and Ritchie out wide, swapping sides. Shelvey and Diame/Hayden in the middle and Mitro alongside Gayle up front. We'd smash the likes of Rotherham with that.

Rafa is all about balance and control. You'll lose count of the times you'll hear him say 'We controlled the game' or 'We lost control of the game'. He will make late substitutions with that in mind, even when you're chasing a game, and I can't think he'll ever start with two out and out strikers, though you might often finish with two on the pitch.

As for balance, at LFC he used a saying about a 'short blanket'. Pull it too high and your feet get cold; have it too low and the head gets cold (it sounds better when he says it though  :mike:) but it sums up his approach. He will always make sure the defence is protected and he will always make sure there are goals in the team, but one won't outweigh the other. So today Yedlin gets a rest because having not started Atsu before he probably wanted a more solid right back than an attacking right back to stop the feet getting cold. Dummett is solid defensively (in principle) so there's scope to have a more attack-minded left mid and help warm the head etc. 

Last season when he Real got pumped by Barcelona at home, which basically sealed his fate, word is he listened to Perez and the players and played all the Galacticos. No real holding mid, attacking wing backs. I remember being amazed that Rafa allowed himself to play such a team. I don't think he'll be repeating it in a hurry.

Guest neesy111

Fact is mostly everyone would have mitro playing upfront with zero mobility he offers and that is why Rafa is our manager and he isn't picking him.

My problem with Rafa is that you just know that Atsu will be benched again in the next match while Dummet, Colback and Diame will all keep their places.

Dummett was alright defensively today. I think he favours Hayden, not sure on the theory as to why he's been rotated out but he played a few in a row during our winning streak. I wouldn't be suprised if Diame was rotated again also.

Guest palnese

Fact is mostly everyone would have mitro playing upfront with zero mobility he offers and that is why Rafa is our manager and he isn't picking him.

If he had a partner things would like a bit different. On his own with little support he's pretty useless.

Would love to us play with Atsu and Ritchie out wide, swapping sides. Shelvey and Diame/Hayden in the middle and Mitro alongside Gayle up front. We'd smash the likes of Rotherham with that.

:thup: :thup:

Aye to this.

Same 100%

Is there a case to be made that he's setting the team up to play in a balanced way no matter who we're playing? I understand the horse for course angle, by from his point of view we're probably going to be in the premier league next season and we'll need to be balanced then, so the more experienced we are at it the better?

Yeah, always going to focus more on developing a sustainable model than going out to smash the likes of Rotherham. Same reason he won't go to two strikers, he needs everyone to understand his system and be able to rotate players in and out of it.

One thing I admire about him, and always have is that even when he sets up defensively, he doesn't pick strikers up front who are just big lunks. Gayle offers movement and finishing, Diame can look like he's not involved, but his play is ideal for setting away a quick forward like Gayle or Atsu. Playing a big striker is pretty easily dealt with by playing a big defender. That style of attack can be useful in desperation mode, but in major competitions, how many teams actually have that type of striker and are successful?

Anothere fact could be that he doesn't offer zero mobilility and that probably our biggest problem so far is holding the ball up front.

:thup: :thup:

Aye to this.

Same 100%

Pretty certain Shelvey & Diame in the middle would be a disaster like. Thankfully Rafa isn't stuck in some sort of Football Manager mindset and values the defensive side of the game.