Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

That's a fabulous read. I had to do a double check to confirm it was a chronicle journalist who wrote it, Mark Douglas as it happens, one of the better local journalists for me.

Douglas needs to have a word with the proof reader.

Never forget

Mikel Antia (First-Team Coach)

Benitez is renowned for returning to players and coaching staff who have served him well in the past - he appointed Boudewijn Zenden at Chelsea and retained former assistant Pako Ayestaran’s services for 11 years - and he has done likewise with Antia.

And, though his surname may simply be an anagram of Vurnon Anita, no he is not a relative of United’s Dutch midfielder.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitezs-backroom-staff-who-11418909

Never forget

Benitez is renowned for returning to players and coaching staff who have served him well in the past - he appointed Boudewijn Zenden at Chelsea and retained former assistant Pako Ayestaran’s services for 11 years - and he has done likewise with Antia.

And, though his surname may simply be an anagram of Vurnon Anita, no he is not a relative of United’s Dutch midfielder.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitezs-backroom-staff-who-11418909

:lol:

Guest firetotheworks

That's a fabulous read. I had to do a double check to confirm it was a chronicle journalist who wrote it, Mark Douglas as it happens, one of the better local journalists for me.

There are loads of typos in there, but it's a decent insight into the methods Rafa uses.

Never forget

:lol:

cant believe i've only just seen this .

Never forget

It is totally tragic that a person got paid to write that.

Never forget

It is totally tragic that a person got paid to write that.

That is just mind numbingly stupid

'Despite being called Rafa he's never actually served in the RAF or indeed any of the armed forces'

Just seen a video on YouTube entitled “Newcastle United Memories” and it came to a part when Keegan was manager in the 90s getting interviewed, and he says

“I looked at the bus as we were going down there and I thought; ‘you know, I don’t want to be the manager who takes this team down to the 3rd Division’ because it wouldn’t have been totally fair on myself and Terry. We inherited somebody else’s players. We inherited a club that was absolutely devoid of leadership from top to bottom, so in many many ways we found ourself in a boat trying to paddle out with people that, I think if we’re honest, they wouldn’t be our choice as footballers. But nevertheless, those same players did us proud.”

The similarities in both us and KK in the 2 seasons in the then 2nd Division (1991/92 & 1992/93) and the season and a quarter we’ve had under Rafa excites me and makes me love the man even more.  :aww:

Interesting little nugget from that useful piece:

Newcastle needed Benitez when he arrived. The call came from Benitez’s people rather than the other way round: an early sign that he did not see the Newcastle job as beneath him, despite recent the most recent lines on his CV overshadowing United significantly.

It sort of underscores the fact that Rafa needed this club to rejuvenate his career, probably less so than we needed him to be honest, but I think he realized that he wouldn't have gotten this kind of support at any other English club, including Liverpool. It also reassures me that if we get promoted this season there's limited probability that he will be lured away by anyone else.

He could have waited for a job at a more stable premier league team, but he picked us knowing it was a tough ask to keep us up, we should probably not be too worried about how odd it is and just take the compliment  :lol: