Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-united-next-manager-mike-ashley-jets-in-to-decide-steve-mcclaren-s-fate-a6924161.html

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, will fly into England today to hold talks with Lee Charnley in which the club’s managing director is expected to present his case for Rafa Benitez to become manager.

Benitez’s representatives are prepared for their man to sign a three-year contract to replace Steve McClaren, the current head coach. However, there is the possibility that the former Liverpool manager will not want to take control at St James’ Park until after Newcastle’s trip to title-chasing Leicester City on Monday.

Story is already bs as Ashley is out drinking in Soho tonight.

Imagine if Ashley came in and said, "nah, we'll stick with McClaren."

Man ... that would actually be a lot less stressful. You could just watch everything crash and burn and laugh at the dufus.

This Rafa possibility has filled me with hope and would have me on tenterhooks the rest of the way, praying everyday that we stay up so he can stay on.

Mad situation.

Sam is a proven manager in a relegation fight. I've not looked over his records but I assume Benitez has never been in this kind of situation, so it's not completely a stupid statement by the mackem.

I agree with this - IF Benitez signs, he will be faced by an incredibly difficult situation.

Not only have the dumbclucks in charge left it too late(he should have been in after the Chelsea game) to give him a fighting chance but he will be dealing with a bunch of players who are probably the most spineless he has had to manage in his whole career. Not only are they spineless, but some are already making plans for themselves at what they consider to be better clubs than NUFC and have zero reason or motivation to rouse themselves for the fight ahead. Also, as this mackem says, Allardyce has had much experience of facing possible relegation and the players he has at Sunderland may not be as talented as some of ours but they DO seem to have more stomach for the fight - we shall see how much Newcastle players want to stay up when we watch the Derby very soon and we CANNOT afford to lose that.

Given 2 sets of similar players in a mid-table situation, you would choose Benitez over Allardyce every day of the week, but these clubs are not in that position. IF NUFC stay up, Benitez would do a great job given time and finance to get the players he needs, but he faces a really tough gig if he becomes manager.

Nobody could condemn him if we still go down because he has very little time to sort things out and that is not his fault.

Still waiting on a curveball.. it's not like those daft transfer rumours that the sun makes up and then never happens, pretty much every respected news outlet has reported that he's agreed a 3 year deal. The only thing that could be holding this up is the minor details.

Regardless of whether he takes over for the Leicester game or not, I think the mood will lift enough to at least give them a decent game of it. I'll have mixed feelings if we did manage to get a result, i'd love to see them win the league.. it would be so good for football in general, i'd hate to think losing to our shower of cunts would derail that. Unless we also took points off spuds on the last day.. that would balance it out.

Sam is a proven manager in a relegation fight. I've not looked over his records but I assume Benitez has never been in this kind of situation, so it's not completely a stupid statement by the mackem.

I agree with this - IF Benitez signs, he will be faced by an incredibly difficult situation.

Not only have the dumbclucks in charge left it too late(he should have been in after the Chelsea game) to give him a fighting chance but he will be dealing with a bunch of players who are probably the most spineless he has had to manage in his whole career. Not only are they spineless, but some are already making plans for themselves at what they consider to be better clubs than NUFC and have zero reason or motivation to rouse themselves for the fight ahead. Also, as this mackem says, Allardyce has had much experience of facing possible relegation and the players he has at Sunderland may not be as talented as some of ours but they DO seem to have more stomach for the fight - we shall see how much Newcastle players want to stay up when we watch the Derby very soon and we CANNOT afford to lose that.

Given 2 sets of similar players in a mid-table situation, you would choose Benitez over Allardyce every day of the week, but these clubs are not in that position. IF NUFC stay up, Benitez would do a great job given time and finance to get the players he needs, but he faces a really tough gig if he becomes manager.

Nobody could condemn him if we still go down because he has very little time to sort things out and that is not his fault.

I would never chose fat Sam over Benitez under any circumstances.  If we do get him, and I think we will, our unmotivated players will all get a bounce and I can see the players improving enough to get us out of trouble. I think the derby atmosphere will be very similar to the first derby after we were promoted and that will also boost our performance . This might sound daft but a fit and motivated Cisse could keep us up on his own, we just need somebody to find that player.

Still waiting on a curveball.. it's not like those daft transfer rumours that the sun makes up and then never happens, pretty much every respected news outlet has reported that he's agreed a 3 year deal. The only thing that could be holding this up is the minor details.

Regardless of whether he takes over for the Leicester game or not, I think the mood will lift enough to at least give them a decent game of it. I'll have mixed feelings if we did manage to get a result, i'd love to see them win the league.. it would be so good for football in general, i'd hate to think losing to our shower of c***s would derail that. Unless we also took points off spuds on the last day.. that would balance it out.

:facepalm:

Guest chopey

Paul merson keeps saying that Leicester dosing what they are doing will never happen again in a million years, but I can't see why not every club in the premiership has the ability to outspend most of Europe and create a great team and they no longer have to sell their top players, just look at Stones at Everton, it's all about coaching and management now.

Paul merson keeps saying that Leicester dosing what they are doing will never happen again in a million years, but I can't see why not every club in the premiership has the ability to outspend most of Europe and create a great team and they no longer have to sell their top players, just look at Stones at Everton, it's all about coaching and management now.

It happened 15 and 20 years ago with us. I wouldn't really take anything Merson says seriously, he doesn't even know what day it is.

don't know why but the possibility of this going tits up is more agonizing than the slow walk to relegation we were on :lol: killing me this. get it done.

Such conflicting emotions right now, I had alrerady accepted relegation so in some ways I'm pissed off that they may be trying to give me hope again with this appointment.

Then I'm thinking how it will feel if we do get Benitez and then still lose the derby and get relegated...  :(

I would never chose fat Sam over Benitez under any circumstances.  If we do get him, and I think we will, our unmotivated players will all get a bounce and I can see the players improving enough to get us out of trouble. I think the derby atmosphere will be very similar to the first derby after we were promoted and that will also boost our performance . This might sound daft but a fit and motivated Cisse could keep us up on his own, we just need somebody to find that player.

Exactly that, Benitez has a major reputation within the game and probably the contacts to match, even those players wanting out are unlikely to want to p*ss him off/not try because there's a decent chance whoever is considering them will talk to Benitez (if the useless f***ers in charge manage not to f*** the appointment up - which I still believe is a high possibility) and the players won't want to seen as t***s and future negotiations coloured by "even Rafa couldn't get them to play to their best" thoughts. because that'll cost them real £££'s in negotiations.

Oh well, the start of another day. Is today the day this whole thing hits the wall and we're all left p*ssed off?

I have a feeling that everything will be sorted today.

:lol: I can't cope with optimistic Mick, just doesn't seem right.