Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Won't happen first season, but according to the true faith lads that met him it seems his plan is to get somewhere near and hope the other teams slip up.

Get somewhere near to what ?

European spots, so in and around top 6

He knew exactly how to play against Huddersfield today. Not many teams know how too, and it's a tactic where everyone has to stick to their position 100% of the time and takes loads of work in the training ground. He got this performance out of the players and did it with little time to prepare after our last match. It is these types of games where you see a difference between great managers, and chumps like Pardew.

And games like today are exactly why the likes of Mbemba don't play - Rafa doesn't trust him to be tactically disciplined, and so he doesn't get picked. Colback, for all his s*** passing and shittier fouls, does what Rafa wants, and thus does play.

Can't remember him showing many signs of being tactically ill-disciplined.

He didn't follow Rafa's instructions against Wolves,  which was one of the reasons we played poorly

Really ? What did he do ? IIRC the Problems in the Wolves game came from the midfield.

I'm sure it was something to do with Rafa recognised that Wolves' gameplan was high pressing up the field, so the instruction to Mbemba for this game was to use a diagonal ball, but Mbemba repeatedly attempted short passes into midfield which kept getting picked off.

I never knew that. Think it's a tad simplistic to say that's why he's been left out since as it's not as if the wingers were in loads of space so centre halves hoofing long diagonals isn't really a good plan. Surely even if they are instruction players still play whatever they feel is the best option.

I could understand if he was wandering out of position or he kept giving the ball away which it didn't seem like.

I never knew that. Think it's a tad simplistic to say that's why he's been left out since as it's not as if the wingers were in loads of space so centre halves hoofing long diagonals isn't really a good plan. Surely even if they are instruction players still play whatever they feel is the best option.

I could understand if he was wandering out of position or he kept giving the ball away which it didn't seem like.

That was my point - Rafa doesn't tolerate players not doing exactly what he wants them to do. There's no wiggle room with regards to "he thought the short pass was a good option there". And the fact is that Rafa blames Mbemba for the midfield giving the ball away in that game, because even though his passes went to feet, they went to players who then turned it over and, in Rafa's plan, they should never have had it in the first place.

This was reported a few weeks ago, pretty sure in The Chronicle. It fits with what we know about Rafa, it fits with what we saw in that game. Rafa had a plan, Mbemba didn't follow it, we lost, Mbemba doesn't play again.

That was my point - Rafa doesn't tolerate players not doing exactly what he wants them to do. There's no wiggle room with regards to "he thought the short pass was a good option there". And the fact is that Rafa blames Mbemba for the midfield giving the ball away in that game, because even though his passes went to feet, they went to players who then turned it over and, in Rafa's plan, they should never have had it in the first place.

This was reported a few weeks ago, pretty sure in The Chronicle. It fits with what we know about Rafa, it fits with what we saw in that game. Rafa had a plan, Mbemba didn't follow it, we lost, Mbemba doesn't play again.

Probably compounded by the fact Mbemba was fucking useless all round that day, to be fair. And the fact he's simply not Rafa's type of CB.

Guest neesy111

I am a firm believer that the players should stick to what they're told like. Then it's no one's fault but the managers if it goes wrong...

Easier said than done.

I am a firm believer that the players should stick to what they're told like. Then it's no one's fault but the managers if it goes wrong...

Easier said than done.

Obviously players will have varying ability and thus capability to complete desired tasks but aside from that they should be doing their utmost to do as they're told.

Pardew can get fucked though. Helps if your coach actually has more brain power than your average plankton.

Pardew can get fucked though. Helps if your coach actually has more brain power than your average plankton.

[emoji38]

There's just no way in hell a manager that successful sees the game like that. It's a game of decisions based on the model you've been taught. Based being the key word.  Fair enough if you ignore the plan for large periods of the game and don't make the pass when its there but to say there's no wiggle room is crazy.

There's just no way in hell a manager that successful sees the game like that. It's a game of decisions based on the model you've been taught. Based being the key word.  Fair enough if you ignore the plan for large periods of the game and don't make the pass when its there but to say there's no wiggle room is crazy.

Don't ex-players all say similar as well - it's a very strict and disciplined approach from rafa and he's not afraid to drop someone who takes liberties. Saying there's absolutely no wiggle room though is probably a bit far but there's no question the margins are very fine with what he'll tolerate.

Don't ex-players all say similar as well - it's a very strict and disciplined approach from rafa and he's not afraid to drop someone who takes liberties. Saying there's absolutely no wiggle room though is probably a bit far but there's no question the margins are very fine with what he'll tolerate.

Certainly, that's precisely the reason Bellamy gave for leaving LFC. Rafa keeps the team on very tight reins unless they're down with only a few minutes to go. Gotta keep that shape.

Certainly, that's precisely the reason Bellamy gave for leaving LFC. Rafa keeps the team on very tight reins unless they're down with only a few minutes to go. Gotta keep that shape.

"A lot of Rafa’s tactical work was very, very good. He was impressively astute and I learned a lot from him in that area. But he could not come to terms with the idea that some players need an element of freedom and that we express ourselves on the pitch in different ways. He was very rigid.

But there was no scope for spontaneity. None. He distrusted that. Of all the managers I have worked with, he trusted his players the least. That’s just how he was. There was not much enjoyment. There were no small-sided games or anything like that.

Everything was tactical with timed drills and routines." - Bellamy.

Gerrard isn't as fond of Rafa as you would expect. I think it's largely because Gerrard is very much an individual type of player. Spontaneous.

We've craved a manager that will, amongst other things, pin players to the floor and demand respect. I can handle this approach for now; we can deal with mindsets of flamboyant footballers once he's got us into the top 6.

We've craved a manager that will, amongst other things, pin players to the floor and demand respect. I can handle this approach for now; we can deal with mindsets of flamboyant footballers once he's got us into the top 6.

Totally agree. It's about time we had someone who demands respect and the players have a healthy respect for/fear of.

Couldn't give a shite if they like his methods tbqh.

We'll seldom see flamboyant footballers at NUFC under Rafa, like.

If I remember rightly Bellamy's main gripe with Benitez was the fact he made him train for less speed and more endurance, which, as he saw it, completely negated his natural game. That and the fact he basically told him to find a new club on the plane home from their Champions League final defeat.

We'll seldom see flamboyant footballers at NUFC under Rafa, like.

If I remember rightly Bellamy's main gripe with Benitez was the fact he made him train for less speed and more endurance, which, as he saw it, completely negated his natural game. That and the fact he basically told him to find a new club on the plane home from their Champions League final defeat.

Horrible little charvers like Bellamy disliking his methods can only be a good thing.

We might not be playing Keegan-esque football, but winning football is enjoyable football for me like. Always will be.

Agree with that. When you see us lose consecutive home games 0-3 and 0-6 you stop caring about the means. Fwiw Bellamy didn't dislike his methods. He actually said if he ever became a manager, Rafa's approach would be his template.

His autocratic, one-size approach was just obviously unsuited to a pretty unique and difficult player like Bellamy who needed someone with Bobby's flexible people skills to get the best out of him, that's all.