Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

How is it massively unrealistic though, really? West Ham finished in a Europa League place last season, Southampton got another.

He's one of the best managers in the world, man. If we spend the money we need he'll build us a squad capable of at least challenging for Europe, I'm pretty certain of that. I'm also pretty certain that if we don't he'll be off not long after the window shuts. If we're a 'mid table side' next season I think it'll be under a different manager.

I'd tend to agree with Mick. Rafa will have a three season plan to get us in the champions league

:lol: I'm not saying you're wrong per se, but we're definitely not going to be playing in the CL in three years time. There's no way in hell. I'd like to see us establish as PL side again and then having a go at the cups consistently. Think it's unrealistic to believe we could compete with the top 6 in 3 or even five years time. Going to take some time now.

How is it massively unrealistic though, really? West Ham finished in a Europa League place last season, Southampton got another.

He's one of the best managers in the world, man. If we spend the money we need he'll build us a squad capable of at least challenging for Europe, I'm pretty certain of that. I'm also pretty certain that if we don't he'll be off not long after the window shuts. If we're a 'mid table side' next season I think it'll be under a different manager.

The step up will be massive for us, even if we spend a shit load of money we'll need time for players to settle in.  I think we'll spend decent money and bring a few players in and it will take another 12 months before we can kick on.  We'll need to get up and gain some stability in the Premiership and that will take time.

The step up will be massive for us, even if we spend a shit load of money we'll need time for players to settle in.  I think we'll spend decent money and bring a few players in and it will take another 12 months before we can kick on.  We'll need to get up and gain some stability in the Premiership and that will take time.

:thup:

I'd tend to agree with Mick. Rafa will have a three season plan to get us in the champions league

[emoji38] I'm not saying you're wrong per se, but we're definitely not going to be playing in the CL in three years time. There's no way in hell. I'd like to see us establish as PL side again and then having a go at the cups consistently. Think it's unrealistic to believe we could compete with the top 6 in 3 or even five years time. Going to take some time now.

[emoji38] you're taking what I'm saying as what I expect as a fan. It's not. However, I genuinely think Rafa has that much confidence in his own ability and belief that he can achieve that.

What we need is to get Rafa to sign a new deal as soon as possible.

Not going to happen yet else signing a 3 year deal would be pointless. I reckon it'll be end of next season when he has a better idea of where we are and where we're going before he considers extending.

How often does a team slowly build towards success? Genuine question. Most of the time it seems like a team either gets a new manager or buys good players and then starts doing better than they were when they had a shit manager and/or shit players.

That is a fair question and point. For me 3 years like I alluded to seems about right. Less would seem unreasonable and more would sound not ambitious enough...that is for a world class manager which is exactly what we have

He's a winner, if we let him buy who he wants and assemble the squad he needs we'll be right up there. If we don't we'll not have to worry about the lesser teams frustrating him at SJP as he'll have f***ed off before then.

Right on..too true.

Has anyone checked on Crumpy? Is he ok?

He's fine.  Said we'll be the worst team to ever win the championship if we win it which for him is quite upbeat.

I was shitting it in the last 20 or so then it cut to a shot of Rafa giving instructions to Yedlin (i think) when he was coming on and the guy just looked like calmness personified.  No panic, just an arm round the shoulder calmly telling him what he wants like everything happening on the pitch was going just the way he planned.  Saved me a pants change anyway, fucking love the bloke.

He's fine.  Said we'll be the worst team to ever win the championship if we win it which for him is quite upbeat.

I was shitting it in the last 20 or so then it cut to a shot of Rafa giving instructions to Yedlin (i think) when he was coming on and the guy just looked like calmness personified.  No panic, just an arm round the shoulder calmly telling him what he wants like everything happening on the pitch was going just the way he planned.  Saved me a pants change anyway, f***ing love the bloke.

This. Each time they cut to him on the sidelines I feel like pinching myself, he oozes calm, experience, intelligence.

I was shitting it in the last 20 or so then it cut to a shot of Rafa giving instructions to Yedlin (i think) when he was coming on and the guy just looked like calmness personified.  No panic, just an arm round the shoulder calmly telling him what he wants like everything happening on the pitch was going just the way he planned.  Saved me a pants change anyway, f***ing love the bloke.

[emoji38] :thup:

Won't happen first season, but according to the true faith lads that met him it seems his plan is to get somewhere near and hope the other teams slip up.

Get somewhere near to what ?

He knew exactly how to play against Huddersfield today. Not many teams know how too, and it's a tactic where everyone has to stick to their position 100% of the time and takes loads of work in the training ground. He got this performance out of the players and did it with little time to prepare after our last match. It is these types of games where you see a difference between great managers, and chumps like Pardew.

And games like today are exactly why the likes of Mbemba don't play - Rafa doesn't trust him to be tactically disciplined, and so he doesn't get picked. Colback, for all his shit passing and shittier fouls, does what Rafa wants, and thus does play.

He knew exactly how to play against Huddersfield today. Not many teams know how too, and it's a tactic where everyone has to stick to their position 100% of the time and takes loads of work in the training ground. He got this performance out of the players and did it with little time to prepare after our last match. It is these types of games where you see a difference between great managers, and chumps like Pardew.

And games like today are exactly why the likes of Mbemba don't play - Rafa doesn't trust him to be tactically disciplined, and so he doesn't get picked. Colback, for all his s*** passing and shittier fouls, does what Rafa wants, and thus does play.

Can't remember him showing many signs of being tactically ill-disciplined.

And games like today are exactly why the likes of Mbemba don't play - Rafa doesn't trust him to be tactically disciplined, and so he doesn't get picked. Colback, for all his s*** passing and shittier fouls, does what Rafa wants, and thus does play.

Can't remember him showing many signs of being tactically ill-disciplined.

He didn't follow Rafa's instructions against Wolves,  which was one of the reasons we played poorly