Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Fucking fantastic news and this board immediately starts counting pennies and worrying it's not enough.  :lol:

The pain will come in January and beyond. Until then, enjoy the ride. There's a reason Rafa ended with "I wish the fans an enjoyable summer!" Relax, have fun, he's got this.

Heard this on Total Sport just as I was getting home... fantastic news.  :coolsmiley:

We know Ashley has form, but we can only hope he's learned from previous disasters, and is prepared to let the club be run as a Football Club at last, with the best man we can hope for, at the helm.

Lets look forward to the summer, and not nitpick over this comment, or that quote.

If Rafa is happy to stay on with what he's been told/promised, that's good enough for me.

Roll on next season!!!  :clap2: :indi:

f*** it, if we can't be positive at a time like this then we might as well all pack in.

Absolutely delighted!

:promotion:

:pilko:

It's the same old same old :lol: Promises don't mean anything to a bipolar shitcunt like wor Mike.

Sure, it's positive news, but I'm certainly not throwing out animated promotion emojis willy-nilly.

If that was the case there's no way Rafa would stay imo.

???

If Rafa can see into the future maybe?!

He's not that thick man, genuinely think if it was the same as it always has been he'd have walked.

??? Still don't think you're really understanding my point. How would anyone know Ashley's true intentions, if either a) he's convincingly lying, or b) he doesn't know what his own intentions will be in 6 months time?

I'm not saying Ashley told Rafa the exact same details as ever, I'm just saying that it doesn't matter what Ashley says, because he's a pathological fucken liar and could change his mind at any point.

f*** it, if we can't be positive at a time like this then we might as well all pack in.

Absolutely delighted!

It's the same old same old :lol: Promises don't mean anything to a bipolar shitcunt like wor Mike.

Sure, it's positive news, but I'm certainly not throwing out animated promotion emojis willy-nilly.

???

He's not that thick man, genuinely think if it was the same as it always has been he'd have walked.

??? Still don't think you're really understanding my point. How would anyone know Ashley's true intentions, if either a) he's convincingly lying, or b) he doesn't know what his own intentions will be in 6 months time?

I'm not saying Ashley told Rafa the exact same details as ever, I'm just saying that it doesn't matter what Ashley says, because he's a pathological fucken liar and could change his mind at any point.

Nah i understand completely, i just trust Rafa wouldn't fall for any convincing lies and believe that if Ashley was fucking him over he'd go. Keep in my mind they already fell out in January to some extent so i don't feel like he'd fall for any of that BS.

You might be right, but for now if it's good enough for Rafa then it's good enough for me.

Fantastic news. Rafa's quote is class.. "enjoy your summer" , he's not making a big deal out of it.

Ashley's statement is far more interesting.. as he really had no reason to comment at all, or the club for that matter.

My take on it is that Benitez was well aware of previous managers who may have been promised this or that in private and then it never happened, so to avoid all confusion i'd say he requested that Mike make that statement.

It basically means if he goes back on it, Rafa has an cast iron reason to walk and take Mike to the cleaners.

He's a shrewd man is wor Rafa!

Absolutely delighted!

???

Don't disagree, but has Ashley ever gone on the record about transfer budgets/spending like this before? It wouldn't actually surprise me if Rafa made some sort of public pledge a precondition to him staying.

Keegan fell for his bollocks tbf.

Fwiw, get the feeling that Ashley has learned that his previous approach to running a football club was shite. We'll always be looking owa our shoulder but there's definite cause for optimism.

Speaking after the meeting, Mike Ashley said:

"I've confirmed to Rafa and Lee that they can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means in order to build for next season."

Any idea how much this is likely to be?

Guest Howaythetoon

I think one of the key factors for Ashley where Rafa is concerned is that Rafa is very much a businessman as much as he's a manager. He will have sold Ashley on a business model for the club as much of a football model. KK was pure football, Shearer likewise. That clashed with Ashley who didn't and probably still doesn't understand that someone can cost tens of millions to kick a ball about. Hughton and Pardew were low maintenance where as McClaren was a safe option. Rafa is different, he's a manager, coach, politician and businessman rolled into one. Someone Ashley would probably employ at SD in a high position. He's so much of an idiot however, he cannot ever be trusted and as much as this is good news, we have been here before... lets wait and see!

The money through player sales is a key point for me. Means we're more likely to see the back of horrific shitehawks like Colback in order to have more to spend.