Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Another slightly different quote in the Mail:

‘The priority for me was to stay. I decided to stay because of the fans, the club, the possibilities for the future and to stay in England close to my family.

‘Then the meeting was crucial to convince me to stay. Mike told me “We have this money, it is available, it’s OK”, so, fine, we were happy with that.’

Still reckon that new bloke that was brought in might be a factor.

It could even possibly be Ashley has asked his chief negotiator Barnes to do the deals thinking he can get a better deal. But with football being a lot different to negotiating with failing companies with little choice he is failing miserably. 

Ha! Did Rafa get this guarantee from Ashley during a drinking competition?

Was just going to say - how drunk was he?  Props doesn't even remember the conversation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-double-signing-benitez-ojo-10816933.amp

Hope this reassures a few. Sounds like he does have some faith in the owner. But just the market is mental.

I particularly like the mention of being able to spend it how he likes be it alleged 70m on one player or several.

I guess nobody wants to get ripped off when you only have 70m to spend and 2 experienced players could cost you that(these days). And would they keep you up,stay fit and injury free? I trust Benitez to get this done its just gonna be a game of patience, guess we should try and relax a bit.

We simply can't afford to enter a PL season with an inadequate squad, we can't go back to the days of the likes of Colo, Taylor and Williamson as our CB's in the Premier League or whatever the modern day equivalent might be in any area of the pitch.  Rafa is at war imo, the Martin Hardy article the other day about the 'financial drawbridge' being pulled up as case in point.  Ultimately he's going to lose it, maybe not this summer but at the least next. 

It would suggest a bit of being a tight arse or incompetence on Lee's part had it not been for the club having previous.

Or prices being ridiculous this summer.  When they set the budget and how much goes to each player they probably didnt know the fees would be so high this summer. Especially if Prem players are being targeted

Throw in that the market hasn't really got going yet. Many players we were linked with early haven't moved anywhere yet and some of the clubs you'd expect to be in and around us have done little.

Think there's something in this, players/agents/clubs holding out for bigger deals later in the window as they know the money has increased so much. Expecting most of the deals to be done in the final week.

Guest chopey

It would suggest a bit of being a tight arse or incompetence on Lee's part had it not been for the club having previous.

Or prices being ridiculous this summer.  When they set the budget and how much goes to each player they probably didnt know the fees would be so high this summer. Especially if Prem players are being targeted

Throw in that the market hasn't really got going yet. Many players we were linked with early haven't moved anywhere yet and some of the clubs you'd expect to be in and around us have done little.

Think there's something in this, players/agents/clubs holding out for bigger deals later in the window as they know the money has increased so much. Expecting most of the deals to be done in the final week.

Totally agree its also why I think the transfer window should close a few days before the season starts

It's fairly obvious what the real story is because it was proven in a court of law that the regime intentionally mislead. 

Keegan revealed some of the tricks on ESPN the other year and it wont have changed. It's how Ashley rolls.  Just need to look no further than his current business which is in court trying to get out of paying that lump.

Doesn't sound like Keegan was told there'd be a set budget to spend like Rafa has. Rafa doesn't have Vetere, Wise, Jimenez to contend with either.

Has he though? How much is "every penny the club generates" and when is that money available?

Doesn't sound like Keegan was told there'd be a set budget to spend like Rafa has. Rafa doesn't have Vetere, Wise, Jimenez to contend with either.

Has he though? How much is "every penny the club generates" and when is that money available?

Ashley must have been on one of his drinking marathons when he said that.

Totally agree its also why I think the transfer window should close a few days before the season starts

Undoubtedly. Unfortunately deadline day is part of the entertainment now, though.

Ashley must have been on one of his drinking marathons when he said that.

Or not. That seems intentionally vague.

Following Rafa's comments, less than 24 hours later we have agreed a fee for one target (Murphy) and have two with substantial interest (Manquillo and Rolan) that the media seem to think could happen soon.

Surely not a coincidence.

Well theres a fair chance that the improved bid went in before Rafa's comments and we've had intrest in many players this window. 

Following Rafa's comments, less than 24 hours later we have agreed a fee for one target (Murphy) and have two with substantial interest (Manquillo and Rolan) that the media seem to think could happen soon.

Well theres a fair chance that the improved bid went in before Rafa's comments and we've had intrest in many players this window. 

aye.. :lol:

So you think an improved bid goes in and they accept and inform the press within minutes ?

So you think an improved bid goes in and they accept and inform the press within minutes ?

Guess you misinterpreted. I wasnt being sarcastic

Guess you misinterpreted. I wasnt being sarcastic

My bad.