Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Is there footage of the interview ?

As that line in the title is the one being seized upon, was he smiling or frowning when he said those words ?

Neither really, he mentions Jan and the 30mil profit & they tried to go early (this summer) but sometimes you have to wait. He knows the numbers and what resources they have and still remains confident.

It was on sky sports.

Thanks  :thup:  Hopefully catch it.

Just seems that (pretty much as normal) one small bit of the interview is seized upon. Had he had a real serious/frowning look when he said it, it would carry a lot more weight than had he said it lightly or with a smile.

Ahh the joys of close season analysis...... :)

Does it really matter much how he delivers it? Surely if you feel you have to say the words "Hopefully <person> can KEEP HIS WORD" it's never a good thing.

Exactly, he's hardly going to burst into angry tears and smash the camera. He's a pro.

Guest firetotheworks

Just watched it and it doesn't sound good to me. He singles out the point again at the end of the interview when he says 'but still I have confidence so I think Mike will do what he told me'

“You need to adjust the team.

“Then hopefully we can bring some players and add to what we are looking for.”

This is important, a big reason we havent made the signings we want yet is that we havent been able to get rid of the deadwood as of yet

Why do we need to get rid of deadwood first? If the money's there we should spend it. Then if someone wants to buy our deadwood we can shift them as and when.

It just doesnt work like that man....

How big of a squad do you think we can have? Do you want the wage budget so high that it becomes unsustanable?

Is there footage of the interview ?

As that line in the title is the one being seized upon, was he smiling or frowning when he said those words ?

Neither really, he mentions Jan and the 30mil profit & they tried to go early (this summer) but sometimes you have to wait. He knows the numbers and what resources they have and still remains confident.

It was on sky sports.

Vids on here:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rafa-benitez-gives-supporters-transfer-13342794

To me he's just saying it like someone who has doubts about the situation & wants things moving like we do.

This is important, a big reason we havent made the signings we want yet is that we havent been able to get rid of the deadwood as of yet

Why do we need to get rid of deadwood first? If the money's there we should spend it. Then if someone wants to buy our deadwood we can shift them as and when.

TBF I think that's just how football clubs work by default. We won't just stockpile players we don't have a squad number for.

That would include players like Gamez, Lazaar, Diame and Hanley then who were brought in by Rafa. Is the club then saying "you wanted these players, now we have to shift them if you want any new players"?

To a certain extent

Yes

Guest firetotheworks

How big of a squad do you think we can have? Do you want the wage budget so high that it becomes unsustanable?

Making a few compromises isn't going to bankrupt the club when it's owned by a billionaire. The club should run efficiently of course but slight overspending vs underspending, the best manager we could ever get leaves, and we get relegated is an absolute no brainer and it always has been. Ashley of course still thinks he knows best though, despite the two relegations.

TBF I think that's just how football clubs work by default. We won't just stockpile players we don't have a squad number for.

Is the last line (about deadwood) actually a genuine quote? Can't find it anywhere.

Is the last line (about deadwood) actually a genuine quote? Can't find it anywhere.

Erm, he's not going to call his players deadwood :lol:

The way the club is run our budget will be surplus money only, I would have thought the wages being paid are already accounted for before Rafa is told you have X amount to spend. So yes we'll have extra bodies, but we should be able to buy players in and then work on shifting those who no longer figure for this season.

Erm, he's not going to call his players deadwood :lol:

:lol: :lol:

The way the club is run our budget will be surplus money only, I would have thought the wages being paid are already accounted for before Rafa is told you have X amount to spend. So yes we'll have extra bodies, but we should be able to buy players in and then work on shifting those who no longer figure for this season.

Then work on shifting those no who longer figure for this season?

Thats what the club have been trying to do since the transfer window opened, thats the problem, we are struggling to get rid of these players

If we sign players like Gibbs etc on high wages and fail to shift deadwood like Riviere, Hanley etc then our wage budget will be unsustanable.

I know its frustrating but I dont think the club are willing to take the risk of spending big whilst we have so many players on our books

Guest chopey

Best thing that could of happened, Rafa has put the ball firmly in Ashleys court, he will now be sacked or backed or niether and he walks in which case everyone in Newcastle knows where we stand.