Liverpool 2-2 Newcastle United - post match reaction from page 26

Greg

Guest neesy111

Didn't get to watch the game today, it's a great result and coming from 2 goals down to get a result will be great for the players confidence, and we now actually have something resembling form, but how did we play today?

Absolutely pathetic in the first half. Second half, we were much better but still without really impressing. Just kept our shape and structure like we should have done in the first but managed to get and take a couple of chances. Last twenty minutes was a bit of a siege at our end yet we still had a couple of very decent opportunities to counter and win it that we managed to fuck up.

Was more Liverpool being much better than us, than us being pathetic 1st half tbh.  Liverpool's pressing was excellent.

Was more Liverpool being much better than us, than us being pathetic 1st half tbh.  Liverpool's pressing was excellent.

That was my take, too.

Rafa showed his quality in his substitutions. He read our play and reacted perfectly, which is kinda his trademark, although I may be Istanbulising (I love you Didi and Rafa!)

Watched the whole 90 after the fact. Thought Liverpool's pressing and confidence was just too much for us to cope with first half, second they dropped off a little bit and that had more to do with us performing a bit better, playing a bit higher up the pitch. Still didn't think we played "well" but turning our lot into something like a real footballing side is going to take longer than 10 games. Both our goals were fortunate and a bit scruffy, poor goalkeeping and a deflection.

All that said, there was a toughness and a competitiveness about our overall display which is beyond what we've produced in years, even if the football was functional at best. Lascelles looked assured (apart from the goal), Tiote made 2 key contributions to the equalizer and I thought Townsend worked hard and tracked and attacked well. Totally noticeable that Liverpool did very little down our right side. The left side was a bit of an abomination though. It seemed like Milner and others got in behind Dummett about 2 dozen times, the kid is not a left back to say the least, though he didn't receive much cover either. Much better result than performance, Rafa's work is beginning to show, just hope we can scrape 7 or so points from the last 3 and somehow stay up.

I watched the whole game on Sky as we were game of the day, and while it wasn't pretty, there was a resilience about our play which has been missing for about the last three years. We went 2-0 down at Anfield but we kept on going stubbornly if nothing else, and in the end we were worth that point. Yes our goals were a bit scruffy, but then both of Liverpool's goals should probably have been blocked as well. The point is, we didn't lose our heads or give in at 2-0 down. That was Rafa.

Shelvey can fuck off, butchers that counter then the slowest jog back ive seen, i think he should be on coutinho before he gets that shot off. Id rather see aarons on

Any other situation and Shelvey takes a shot from that far out, he really should have just taken the shot, hit it with enough power as he can and keep it on target and the keeper isn't getting to it.

Shelvey can f*** off, butchers that counter then the slowest jog back ive seen, i think he should be on coutinho before he gets that shot off. Id rather see aarons on

Any other situation and Shelvey takes a shot from that far out, he really should have just taken the shot, hit it with enough power as he can and keep it on target and the keeper isn't getting to it.

Thats it, if he misses then its a goal kick and we reset. You watch it back again though and jog seems an extreme word to describe it, the guys been on 5 minutes and he doesnt fancy a 60m sprint to get back and help out. We do not have enough points for strollers, he can do one until next season.

As easy as that Stif

I'm not saying it's easy but any other time he's been in a position like that then he takes the shot, and usually he does have a powerful shot on him. If he's not going to run which is the better option, then try your luck.

I gave up on this match at 2-0. Glad the players didn't.

Excellent result considering the position we were in at half time and our record at Anfield. We could actually fucking do this, unreal.

I didn't see Liverpool's Dortmund game where they came back from the dead second half, but the way they played yesterday, I thought there was no way they could keep that level of intensity up for 90 minutes. Their players were going hell for leather everywhere first half. The commentators said that they've lost 17 points from winning positions this season, and I wonder if simple tiring, or not having a gameplan for tiring players has anything to do with it.

Tiring or not, it would be over at 2-0 Liverpool against many teams, including us for most of this season, so great fightback and let's hope Arsenal do the business for us today and next week.

Under Rafa:

1-1 v mackems

2-2 v Liverpool

1-1 v Man City

3-2 v Norwich (came back twice and nearly got something)

Under any of our previous 3 managers, we'd have lost all of those games by at least 2 goals. 3 absolutely vital points that have been gained through having a decent manager.

Add Swansea at home, the white flag would have been raised by that game and we would have lost it.

More ludicrously still, on Saturday Newcastle came back from two goals down for the first time since Club Brugge in the Europa League in November 2012. The last time they did so in the league was in March 2010, against Bristol Cty in the Championship.

No idea when the last time we did it in the Prem

More ludicrously still, on Saturday Newcastle came back from two goals down for the first time since Club Brugge in the Europa League in November 2012. The last time they did so in the league was in March 2010, against Bristol Cty in the Championship.

No idea when the last time we did it in the Prem

This season at home to Man United we came from 2 down to draw 3-3.

I assume they mean away though,