Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have to agree that we have signed some not so very exciting players this summer. But how many of them are going to be first choice when looking at the positions that they play in? For example Hanley and Clark will probably sit on the bench in most games, and so will Murphy. And i'm pretty certain that "higher profile" players would have expected to start more often than not. These players are mainly signed because they can do a solid job when called upon and they have experience in this division so when needed they can come in and do a decent job and they wont have to be bedded in adapt before they get thrown in. Meanwhile players like Ritchie, Gayle, Diame, Hayden, Lazaar, Yedlin are more likely play a bigger role as our main starting players, together with players that we have since before.

I think Rafa is having a pretty good idea which 11 probably will be his main players, even though our "second eleven" will have a couple of players jumping in every now and then and start. To keep the main players fresh as well as when there are injuries and suspensions or whatever it might be. I'm pretty certain though that he wont play too many of his second eleven players at the same time as he will want to be sure that the eleven that starts will mainly include his more important players. It might sound weird when i say second eleven players and he will do rotation and all that, but the core in each team he starts will include more of his important players than the ones mainly used as squad players.

I also think that Rafa is trying to get a good good balance when it comes to signing new players, i would like to think that he wants to make us as strong as possible without spending crazy money. He will want to make sure that we go up without spending a ridiculous amount of money on the squad as whole, on too many players he probably wont see as good enough when/if we go up. I think he is a year ahead in his planning and is keeping his powder a bit dry as he aims to sign more high calibre players when we hopefully are in the Premier League again. That is probably why we haven't signed too many players in the £10-15m bracket. He will aim big next season :thup: and that's why i'm not too worried that we arent signing as many exciting players as we probably could. Wouldn't even surprise we if we sell a couple of players next season that we've just signed, without losing too much money on them (the ones not seemed good enough for our starting eleven or as backup)

i agree.

I think we've had an excellent summer.

- Got rid of the dead wood and the drains to the wage bill (Cisse, Colo, Saylor)

- Signed some good squad players to reflect the level we're playing at (Hanley, Clark, Murphy etc.)

- Replaced the first team players that we've sold (Ritchie, Diame, Gayle)

In some instances, I think the players we've signed have been better than the ones released which is outstanding considering we've been relegated.

I think the team we've got now is stronger than the one that went down, especially due to the new squad depth that we have. The days of playing players out of position and having the likes of Jak Alnwick in goal because of injuries look long gone.

I think we've had an excellent summer.

- Got rid of the dead wood and the drains to the wage bill (Cisse, Colo, Saylor)

- Signed some good squad players to reflect the level we're playing at (Hanley, Clark, Murphy etc.)

- Replaced the first team players that we've sold (Ritchie, Diame, Gayle)

In some instances, I think the players we've signed have been better than the ones released which is outstanding considering we've been relegated.

I think the team we've got now is stronger than the one that went down, especially due to the new squad depth that we have. The days of playing players out of position and having the likes of Jak Alnwick in goal because of injuries look long gone.

We haven't really seen what the ones we released could achieve at this level though?

What's to say Cisse wouldn't have been lethal at this level? Wijnaldum would destroy this league, I think Tiote also would have been a monster. Rightly Colo & Taylor had to go, but we know from last time some shocking players looked half decent in this league.

Williamson and Shola looked like champions league level down there.

Shola played a dozen games down there and scored his record tally for us, lovenkrands & Harewood putting goals away no probs.

Seriously, if we had kept the relegation side, we would have destroyed the division, what we have is good still. Wouldn't say it's stronger/better.

If Rafa had not sold any, or clauses inserted.

The likes of Townsend/Thauvin/Gini/Sissoko/Cisse/De Jong, many would have ran riot.

We only needed to sort the defence out.

You only have to note Gouffran already, to see a total write off has found his level.

The sad truth is it had to come to this, because none of the Prem side gave a fuck, but they are better than this, no question.

?

I think we have a squad and obviously the manager to get promoted, I would have preferred a better winger to come in but still think we have more than enough.

Assuming we are promoted, we are probably looking at a similar size rebuilding job next summer, but that would be a positive because we would have achieved our objective.

Considering it's a fact that a lot of your best players leave when you go down, we've done very well to end up with such a strong squad. Yes some of the players going out would probably destroy this league, but realistically they were never going to hang around.

The biggest difference is we now have (in the main) players that want to be here and want to play for Newcastle United and buy into the managers methods.

Bang on, and if they don't he'll have them out on their ear.

Also there appears to be a nucleus of fairly talented players with potential at the core of the side. Lascelles, Mbemba, Hayden, Ritchie, Gayle, Perez and Mitro should all be players who improve with game time and are all arguably capable at premier league level.

Yedlin will probably be able to cut it in the lower half of the Premier league and you'd figure the same about lazaar.

If and when we are promoted then quality additions to supplement the above players will see us in a decent position.

We haven't got quite the peaks in quality that we have had before, but we now have a much more balanced squad, with extra emphasis on squad. For years and years now we've been lacking any depth in our squad, so that just one or two injures and we're struggling. Can't really see that happening this season, unless we're hit by a real injury crisis. When you add in players giving an extra 10% in training and on match days because they are not guaranteed a spot in the starting eleven, and our team is looking a lot healthier than last year.

I'm really happy with the wide options we have now, like I said in the McManaman thread, in the last week we've signed two full backs with pace, and it looks like two wingers as well. The signings haven't been exciting by our old standards, but they are all top end if you judge by championship standards. We could put out two completely different starting line ups and win most games. How many other teams can do that in this division?

Guest alijmitchell

How often do we have the debate about player quality? I mean it is one part of the overall picture, fitness, nutrition, tactics, team spirit, atmosphere in the stadium. We have a club that is starting to pull in the right direction and Rafa has the ability to mix all of these things to make the team much better than the sum of its parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a better and deeper squad now.  Getting rid of a terrible captain, the geriatric Cisse and the likes of Taylor along with wasters like Thauvin we look reinvigorated.  We were totally s*** man, this squad looks to have far better balance.  Not even up for debate imo.

We have a better and deeper squad now.  Getting rid of a terrible captain, the geriatric Cisse and the likes of Taylor along with wasters like Thauvin we look reinvigorated.  We were totally s*** man, this squad looks to have far better balance.  Not even up for debate imo.

Yeah, not at all. Saying that, Rafa would have sorted out the previous squad as well given a bit more time. We would still have needed signings but a lot of the better players would have found their proper level.

But are the mackems correct that we could be lumbered with a lot of championship quality players should we come up?

Of those we've signed I think Diame, Ritchie and Gayle can be solid squad players in the PL, with Hayden looking strong so far too with Gamez and Lazaar coming from top flight football, Yedlin having played in the premier league too.

But players like Murphy, Hanley, Clark, McManaman and there still being no guarantee that Hayden or Lazaar will be any good in the PL, is it possible we could be lumbered with championship players on long contracts, or would we be capable of shipping them on if they aren't good?

I think we'll be fine but something I thought I would get opinions from on here.

But are the mackems correct that we could be lumbered with a lot of championship quality players should we come up?

Of those we've signed I think Diame, Ritchie and Gayle can be solid squad players in the PL, with Hayden looking strong so far too with Gamez and Lazaar coming from top flight football, Yedlin having played in the premier league too.

But players like Murphy, Hanley, Clark, McManaman and there still being no guarantee that Hayden or Lazaar will be any good in the PL, is it possible we could be lumbered with championship players on long contracts, or would we be capable of shipping them on if they aren't good?

I think we'll be fine but something I thought I would get opinions from on here.

The mackems would probably be gagging for these same players in the premier man.

Looking back most our signings have been a total disgrace. If we spent even half the money we have over the last 3 years or so wisely with somebody who knows about football making the decisions we would never of been near relegation

If we get promoted, they all would've played their part in getting us up, so I can't forsee many cloggers in the batch. It's not something to be worried about in the slightest.

Players raise their game playing for guys like Rafa, so you'd hope they'd at least improve over the course of a year. I don't see any huge gambles in our signings so far, they've not been too expensive and if they're not good enough they'll get shifted. Not something to worry about whatsoever.