Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

18m would be an outrageous fee like :lol:

Would it? I don't think it would be these days. Considering this lad is at the start of his career but good enough to captain our team, I'd be gutted if we sold him for that much. It's certainly not a fee we could say is 'too good to turn down'.

Young English players tend to go for over-inflated fees anyway and when you have the likes of Everton bidding a similar fee for Kone from the mackems after a handful of good performances, it looks about the norm.

As Disco has already said, his passing isn't very good

He's not quick enough, for a start.

Both are easy enough to hide, there's been plenty of top defenders are not very good in either of those departments.

Not too many top centre backs around atm that aren't very comfortable on the ball

I agree it's no done deal in regards to him being good enough for premier league long term but we can't go around selling our captain half way through aseason as important as this, seems the wrong message to everyone. Besides i like him as a player anyway

Not sure why everyone is so apprehensive around him tbh, ever since Rafa came in he's been great.

When he was made captain tbh there was a lot of people wondering if it's too early etc and thinking last season was just a fluke and it obviously wasn't. He's clearly very good, i would have thought that was obvious before we got relegated but it still isn't seemingly.

Lascelles isn't a top tier premier league defender

True right now but under Rafa, I have zero doubts he will become that, I'm pretty sure the change in Clark since he joined us has a lot to do with the coaching he's recieving. I've certainly not seen anything from John Stones to suggest he is worth the money Man City paid and that's your benchmark right now for young English CBs.

Agree totally - Lascelles has the potential to be a top CB and is English to boot...would be a mistake in my opinion, if he was sold at this point because Rafa can get much more out of him and his attitude is spot on too.

Lascelles isn't a top tier premier league defender

True right now but under Rafa, I have zero doubts he will become that, I'm pretty sure the change in Clark since he joined us has a lot to do with the coaching he's recieving. I've certainly not seen anything from John Stones to suggest he is worth the money Man City paid and that's your benchmark right now for young English CBs.

Agree totally - Lascelles has the potential to be a top CB and is English to boot...would be a mistake in my opinion, if he was sold at this point because Rafa can get much more out of him and his attitude is spot on too.

only 22 years old still, man, i mean i've not seen enough in him to think he'll go on to be a top PL CB or an england regular but if he spends another 2-3 years under rafa who knows?  he's certainly got all the physical attributes to make it

If Lascelles left, he would just end up on their bench.

Wasted move for him, dont think we would want to flog him, and dont think we need 18m in this division. If they came in with that offer in the summer things might be different,if once we go up it would fund strengthening.

For me we have always as far back as ive supported had weak back fours, for the first time in years we look to be solving that.

With the money we've recouped so far, the big wages off the wage bill and the huge PL TV money we should have a canny wedge to spend next summer anyway if we go up.  I'd rather keep him and see how he develops.  After Rafa came in he's come on leaps and bounds and he seems to have a good character about him.  Can see him being our captain for the next 5-10 years if we show some ambition.

If we show real ambition and depending hugely on much he progresses, we'd have 2 better centre half's than Lascelles starting every game in 5-10 years tbh. Obviously if he does progress well (with his attitude, I suppose that makes it very likely), then I totally agree with that post.

Just a hunch, but I don't think Rafa rates Mbemba all that much. He'll be the one who's off imo.

I think the fact that Clark is left-footed features quite prominently in Rafa's thinking when it comes to picking a partner for Lascelles. As with Mitro, Chancel will get his opportunity in time. He at least appears to be ahead of Hanley in the picking order.