Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fanbase is just an accident of geography and/or due to attracting glory hunters anyway. I don't see why it's taken so seriously.

it's a major factor in a club being 'big' that's all i'm saying...look at monaco, won plenty of things and have/had rich owners but by no stretch of the imagination are they 'big'

Yeah I guess so, the problem I have is the value judgement attached to it. Fans go crazy about who had the biggest crowds or who has empty seats. If you have to judge who is big at all then I guess it's one way, I wouldn't bother with the debate at all TBH.

It's embarresing claiming clubs are big just because of the fan base size and attendance on a Newcastle forum ffs

A club is a place of membership/support hence NUFC are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

The problem is people don't seem to have the intelligence to separate a big club and a successful club or rich club and just use the term big as all encompassing.

As far as a successful club we are still in the top 10 of trophies won in England I'd reckon.

Guest Howaythetoon

We are undoubtedly a big club, one of the biggest in the world. It doesn't really mean anything though.

Being 'big' is meaningless.

We're not a successful club - in that sense we're on a par with Huddersfield and Preston.

Well, on the first point it depends on the context. The perceived 'size' of the club arguably does increase the likelihood of getting bigger names, management or players, through the door, than a smaller club, all things being equal. For example, I doubt Rafa Benitez would have gone to a club like Crystal Palace for example, when Pardew was sacked.

Also I believe there's a sense that the 'bigger' the club, the more likely that there is that success can be brought there. As to whether how true or not I'll leave to statisticians but I'll wager that there's not many clubs with gates of less than 15-20k winning things very often in comparison to those with gates regularly over 35k. You could argue that one causes the other, but here are we, and Leeds, and some other clubs that still get high gates despite limited or no success. Because the word 'big' is so vague, I think it really does come down to the context. When it's just lobbied around in the fashion of 'X are a big club', I always interpret that to be the size of the support, mostly locally within a country, and the average gates, but that's my own interpretation of the term.

And yeah on success I don't disagree at all.

Not really but you can't disregard winning trophys. Chelsea are arguably a bigger club than us now for that reason

chelsea have grown as they've won trophies, i'm sure they could match our 50k no bother and more and have grown a following around the country and world over the last 10 years...it's the same point

Not really but you can't disregard winning trophys. Chelsea are arguably a bigger club than us now for that reason

chelsea have grown as they've won trophies, i'm sure they could match our 50k no bother and more and have grown a following around the country and world over the last 10 years...it's the same point

I'd agree that they'd easily fill a ground of 50k and then some, coupled with their recent successes, they are a bigger club than us. It's a bit of an argument around the intangibles but that's what a debate around the word 'big' becomes when it's used without delimiting context.

I trust Rafa 100% but i'd much prefer if we bought an experienced centre half this summer rather than these less experienced players we've been linked with.

I hope this isn't a compromise between Carr and Rafa.