Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jota would be an excellent signing. Doubt it's us though - it'll almost certainly be Huddersfield as mentioned previously.

Yup. It will be them. They will finish top 7 this season. Magnificent club, fantastic fans, superb stadium, scintillating football, and their handsome b****** of a manager knows Klopp. We are literally f***ed.

Rattled marra

Really jealous of them tbh. Rather have David Vanger than Rafa iyam. He plays like Klopp.

There would've been hell on here if we had scored as few as Huddersfield did last season.

They finished with a -2 goal difference :lol:

What happened to the two that were close that were going to be revealed a couple of days ago?

Thread title says it all actually (well when it's "transfer" anyway  :))

We've got to remember just how many regional journalists absolutely depend on NUFC stories and how many national ones also love writing about us.

Essentially they have three months where there is next to fuckall to write about so we will be fed an endless cycle of "interested in players X and Y" then "players X and Y haven't signed yet" then "reasons why players X and Y haven't signed".

It's never going to change.

It's still relatively early days and whilst pre season has started and ideally we'd like to have a few more in by now we have to be realistic and look at the regime we're under. They're not going to get into a pissing contest (rightly or wrongly) with other Premier League teams. The players we'll go for will be like Lejeune who don't have 5 or 6 other clubs sniffing around them, so all these Delph's, Gray's, Iheanacho's etc etc are not going to be our actual targets because we're not going to enter bidding wars.

FWIW I reckon Rafa knows this and has a list of targets that are lesser known players that he thinks are undervalued by the market that will work within his system. There'll be one or two more from Europe and maybe a couple from Britain. A lot will depend on when we start offloading the dead wood, which is easier said than done. Be patient, August 13th is a long way off still.

Iheanacho is supposedly close to signing for Leicester for £25m. In today's market I would have thought that was relatively decent value. I hope these players Rafa thinks are undervalued are out there because I think we should be able to compete with Leicester for a striker of that calibre.

I'd be happy to avoid Delph but I suppose the worry is the wider message it's sending. Are the club stupid enough to think transfer fees are the same as 2 years ago?

Any player we have to compete for has to be crossed out - no way will we out-bid anyone or offer a higher wage. So that doesn't leave much.

Would be happy to sell Darlow for anything north of that figure like.

He had most of last season to evidence his worth and he didn't. He was just a shakey/crap when he was given a chance in the PL.

Obviously this opinion is dependant of us bringing in a decent keeper.

Very Harsh, we wouldn't have beaten Pardew's Palace if it weren't for him.

I'd be happy to avoid Delph but I suppose the worry is the wider message it's sending. Are the club stupid enough to think transfer fees are the same as 2 years ago?

Any player we have to compete for has to be crossed out - no way will we out-bid anyone or offer a higher wage. So that doesn't leave much.

I'd agree with that - think we can do better than Delph for 12m, but it's worrying that the club appear to think that 12m for Delph is an outrageous price.

I wouldn't bin Darlow personally. May not be ready to be first choice for us in the premier league but played his part in getting us promoted. If Selz had been in goal all season, I'm not sure we would have gone up.

I wouldn't bin Darlow personally. May not be ready to be first choice for us in the premier league but played his part in getting us promoted. If Selz had been in goal all season, I'm not sure we would have gone up.

I agree with that assessment but I'm not sure it means we have to keep him now. I quite like him though, depends who we have lined up to come in.

It's still relatively early days and whilst pre season has started and ideally we'd like to have a few more in by now we have to be realistic and look at the regime we're under. They're not going to get into a pissing contest (rightly or wrongly) with other Premier League teams. The players we'll go for will be like Lejeune who don't have 5 or 6 other clubs sniffing around them, so all these Delph's, Gray's, Iheanacho's etc etc are not going to be our actual targets because we're not going to enter bidding wars.

FWIW I reckon Rafa knows this and has a list of targets that are lesser known players that he thinks are undervalued by the market that will work within his system. There'll be one or two more from Europe and maybe a couple from Britain. A lot will depend on when we start offloading the dead wood, which is easier said than done. Be patient, August 13th is a long way off still.

Iheanacho is supposedly close to signing for Leicester for £25m. In today's market I would have thought that was relatively decent value. I hope these players Rafa thinks are undervalued are out there because I think we should be able to compete with Leicester for a striker of that calibre.

Of course we CAN but the thing is we won't, I can't think of a player that's come in within the last few years where we have gone head to head with another club or two in order to sign. Might just be my short term memory and it being a Friday but I really don't think that's how we operate.

Iheanacho at £25m is 'relatively decent value' but he has still only scored 12 senior goals in his career - a fact that won't be lost on those controlling the purse strings at SJP, they'll want value for money with as little risk attached as possible, unfortunately.

i've got the feeling rafa has bought into a moderate summer now and there won't be any major signings, it'll be a season to stay up rather than storm back

not a lot of substance to that, we might bring some very good players in soon, but like many others it just doesn't feel like the will is there to even try and compete with anyone else in the PL  :undecided:

i've got the feeling rafa has bought into a moderate summer now and there won't be any major signings, it'll be a season to stay up rather than storm back

not a lot of substance to that, we might bring some very good players in soon, but like many others it just doesn't feel like the will is there to even try and compete with anyone else in the PL  :undecided:

That would go against everything he has said so far.

Guest chopey

Rafa clearly doesn't see him as the solution, so turning down 5million seems a bit strange, there must be multiple interest in him I would think.

Darlow was the best keeper in the championship last season

That would go against everything he has said so far.

we will see; there's always the possibility that seeing the likes of keane & pickford go for £30m etc. might have lowered his expectations about what can be achieved with a budget in the region of £80m in one summer