Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Again the article isn't saying we are struggling to find £12m.  It says "Newcastle are also believed to be keen on Delph but may struggle to pay the fee required" its clearly an opinion by the journalist that we may not be prepared to offer that fee for Delph.

Make no bones about it if we don't get some quality in specific areas we will be a championship club again 12 months from now

we won't be like, not with rafa in charge...now if he leaves that's another matter

btw i don't think the problem in splashing the cash is ours, if everyone else would just f*** off and let us lowball clubs we'd be fine :aww:

Rafa is not a miracle worker, as it stands quality wise we have the 3rd worst squad in the league. If the likes of dummet,lascelles,colback,mbemba,mitrovic get anywhere near the first 11 on a regular basis we are f***ed

Colback, Mbemba, Mitrovic, yes. Lascelles, maybe but Dummett is fine.

We won't lose games because of Paul Dummett.

I disagree. He brings nothing to the attack and is one of the poorest first-choice LBs out there in the Premier League.

Lucky he's a left back and not a left winger. He's primary duty is to defend and at that he is very decent.

Rafa will have us defending first, that's why he's getting a new contract.

I'm not expecting Roberto Carlos or Ashley Cole. Someone who doesn't s*** themselves when in possession, can at least offer an overlap and deliver a decent cross. To not have that in the Premier League is shocking and we'll be found out badly.

Go on then?

Again the article isn't saying we are struggling to find £12m.  It says "Newcastle are also believed to be keen on Delph but may struggle to pay the fee required" its clearly an opinion by the journalist that we may not be prepared to offer that fee for Delph.

but this is the problem inherent in our strategy in a nutshell isn't it, should that rumour be correct - £12m is arguably low for delph yet we might want him but won't stump up the cash...we appear to have a massive problem with valuations in the current climate

only matters if he's a priority target anyway mind, if he's someone they might have taken a chance on due to injuries then who cares

EDIT: as disco says aye

Guest ElCid

Make no bones about it if we don't get some quality in specific areas we will be a championship club again 12 months from now

we won't be like, not with rafa in charge...now if he leaves that's another matter

btw i don't think the problem in splashing the cash is ours, if everyone else would just f*** off and let us lowball clubs we'd be fine :aww:

Rafa is not a miracle worker, as it stands quality wise we have the 3rd worst squad in the league. If the likes of dummet,lascelles,colback,mbemba,mitrovic get anywhere near the first 11 on a regular basis we are f***ed

You keep saying that and he is anything but alright Championship standard full back at best and one we must replace as first choice

Guest neesy111

Gibbs 8M, Delph 12M and Ben Arfa free would be grand.  That would just leave a striker?

Keeper and a right back, too.

Another winger.

I disagree. He brings nothing to the attack and is one of the poorest first-choice LBs out there in the Premier League.

Lucky he's a left back and not a left winger. He's primary duty is to defend and at that he is very decent.

I'm not expecting Roberto Carlos or Ashley Cole. Someone who doesn't s*** themselves when in possession, can at least offer an overlap and deliver a decent cross. To not have that in the Premier League is shocking and we'll be found out badly.

:thup: Dummett is a CB. In the modern game, a left back has to be able to do something with the ball at his feet.

:thup: Dummett is a CB. In the modern game, a left back has to be able to do something with the ball at his feet.

He's played about 2 games at CB in his entire career :lol:

He's played about 2 games at CB in his entire career :lol:

Yeah. You missed my point there.

Our next signing in at the beginning of august? :lol: I really do feel like I lack patience, but I guess that's because we need to sign so many, as well as us being cheap and slow. Plus I want Rafa to be backed 100%.

What didn't help half of the time last season was Gouffran playing so much, as if you set out to nullify our right flank you could just let him and Dummett see loads of the ball.

What didn't help half of the time last season was Gouffran playing so much, as if you set out to nullify our right flank you could just let him and Dummett see loads of the ball.

Yep.

So that's our spending done then? :lol:

It quite clearly means we're struggling to agree that he's worth 12M and nothing to do with how much cash we have to spend.

If our targets to start in central midfield aren't worth us paying £12m for they probably shouldn't be targets. It's a nothing amount for a player in his prime with significant PL experience.

:thup:

Yup. No way we're getting all of that. :lol:

Really? You might be right but I'lm expecting an outlay of £70-80m plus a loan or two and a stray freebie. This won't be the net spend, but I am expecting this level of investment by September.  Think I'm setting myself up for a fall?

Really? You might be right but I'lm expecting an outlay of £70-80m plus a loan or two and a stray freebie. This won't be the net spend, but I am expecting this level of investment by September.  Think I'm setting myself up for a fall?

A very big fall.....I'd be very suprised if we have a net spend of over 30m . We certainly won't be breaking our transfer record

On the train, so here's a list of the current first choice left-backs in the Premier League.

I'm not a huge fan, but does Dummett stand out that much, other than being one of the most defensively-tilted ones? Where would people rank him?

By the same token, where would people put Gibbs?

Nacho Monreal

Charlie Daniels

Gaetan Bong

Stephen Ward

Marcus Alonso

Patrick van Aanholt / Papa Souare

Leighton Baines

Chris Lowe / Scott Malone

Christian Fuchs

James Milner

Aleksandar Kolarov

Matteo Darmian

Paul Dummett

Ryan Bertrand

Erik Pieters

Martin Olsson

Danny Rose

Jose Holebas

Allan Nyom

Aaron Cresswell

Few of these are wing-backs I suppose, but it's close enough.

We'll be falling together - I'm expecting something similar and I think we will break our transfer record. I think it's just been slow so far, which is frustrating given how much we need to do and the fact that we have a good chance to start strongly with our fixtures (Spurs aside).