Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd have taken Montero if we'd not signed Atsu. Wouldn't be happy with those two being the two for the left-wing slot over a season though.

I dont get chasing Traore as we already have Aarons, unless Aarons isn't fit enough yet or going to get loaned out. Montero yes, inconsistent maybe but he's a step up on those two, with a fair bit of Premier League experience thrown in.

I don't know how anybody can even mention Aarons as a reason for not buying a wide player given he's fit to play maybe half a dozen games a season.

Aarons has played 22 games of professional football in his career at age 21, clearly the lad has some talent. If we can we should be looking to see him get a full season of first team football on loan in Championship.

Didn't get much of a chance at villa and then played in a very negative Boro team last season. Hard to judge his end product based on that imo

I only saw them play about twice but from the games I saw, they would give Traore the ball, he'd dribble past a few men and then have nobody options to give it to so he'd eventually lose it/cross it to nobody

No idea why Aarons is so highly thought of amongst our support ike. He's had less than a handful of good games and been out injured for more time than fit.

Wasting squad places on players like him, hoping that one day they'll come good is what causes us to have to play people out of position to cover for injuries.

Send him out on loan and if he can prove himself consistently over a season then we'll keep him. Freeing up a squad place for someone who will actually play.

Totally get why you have that opinion. But I do believe there is a player in there with Aarons, and possibly managers that have managed him see this. He needs to get a consistent run and injury free season to push on. Or i fully understand why some would totally write him off. His explosive style in games like the final game vs Spurs before relegation and the Man City Away in the cup show glimpses of what kind of player he could be.

Im on the fence with him,but i can see why he is possibly kept in.

Montero has barely played for Swansea recently. A quick search shows his last full league game for Swansea was when we beat them for Rafa's first win. On his day he's great but those days are very rare now. I would be worried if he is our first choice left winger come September

I dont get chasing Traore as we already have Aarons, unless Aarons isn't fit enough yet or going to get loaned out. Montero yes, inconsistent maybe but he's a step up on those two, with a fair bit of Premier League experience thrown in.

I don't know how anybody can even mention Aarons as a reason for not buying a wide player given he's fit to play maybe half a dozen games a season.

I think we should buy a wide player and keep Aarons for the left side (back up). I'm going on the assumption we might buy two wide players, say Montero and Traore. I know it's a leap but if that was true i dont see the need  to buy Traore to loan out Aarons. To be fair i'm ignoring Aarons's fitness problems for this.

I just dont see the need to buy a player (Traore) to then loan out a player we already have (Aarons). Doesn't seem sensible when we have to juggle our money carefully.

Obviously it's just my take on it and not likely to play out that way.

I'd really like to see Traore here based on the little I've seen of him

I think it depends how much for and whether he's the only winger we bring in. We only have one good winger at the club and could clearly do with , someone proven, but if we can get him in a straight swap with Darlow then I think he'd be worth it, as a backup for Ritchie if we sign another left winger. He may not have had a good season last year, but in his final season for Barcelona B he got 8 assists and 3 goals in a team which finished bottom of the league, so even though I can't say i've ever seen him, I can't believe he's got no end product based on that. Hopefully he's got a bit more than he showed with boro.

If we are looking for numbers on a restricted budget it would be great if there was a talented winger/number 10 available on a free from PSG we could look at.

Since Rafa rates character and professionalism there's fuck all chance of that, especially if he's asked any of the remaining backroom staff of what he's like.

Guest reefatoon

I'm completely bored by it. Hardly any rumours anymore and when they do come, the players are massively underwhelming or just shite, and they keep on mentioning how cheap they need to be.  Was looking forward to this preseason but July is kicking us in the Bollocks so far.

Do people not think a lot of the ones recently are a bit too obvious in nature?

I find it hard to believe Rafa is whacking in enquiries for anyone and everyone. He'll have a very clear plan.

Bound to be a few from the likes of Belgium, Italy  and Spain most of us have never really heard of or paid attention to.

Lejeune, Lazaar, Gamez, Sels, etc.

I find it hard to believe Rafa is whacking in enquiries for anyone and everyone. He'll have a very clear plan.

Bound to be a few from the likes of Belgium, Italy  and Spain most of us have never really heard of or paid attention to.

Dosnt bode too well with that list :D

Dosnt bode too well with that list :D

Ha! You're not wrong, though I think last season was a bit of a case of needs must. He seemed determined to have two senior players for every position.

Sels was a poor buy intended for the first team, though. No hiding from that.

Hopefully Lejeune and whoever else comes in prove to be a significant step up on those three.

I'm completely bored by it. Hardly any rumours anymore and when they do come, the players are massively underwhelming or just shite, and they keep on mentioning how cheap they need to be.  Was looking forward to this preseason but July is kicking us in the Bollocks so far.

:thup:

Could do with one of your Photoshop challenges to lift the mood.

Would absolutely take a punt on Traore. For all the talk that he's just got pace, his dribbling is his best asset. He could be a fantastic option on the counter and, at 21, he's got loads and loads of time to improve with one of the world's best coaches. That said, I wouldn't be happy if he was one of our first choice wingers. Him, Aarons and Atsu as back-up would be very decent, but Aarons should really be getting loan time under his belt.

Carvalho apart, we've not been linked to any superstars so far, and I'm sure that's absolutely Rafa's call. He's a 'team above all' kind of guy anyway, but I reckon he'll be thinking it's especially important in our current situation. He'll be looking to protect one of the strongest elements of this squad, morale, and be building a team with players that require specific attributes so we can have some tactical advantage in games.

I think we'll bring in around 7/8 in total, but I don't think the majority of those will get done until August. Our current predicament leans itself to getting deals that fall out of transfer activity with other clubs.

It's frustrating as, but we know Ashley isn't going to spend a single penny of his own (last year was different).

Adama Traoré was an extremely frustating player. Scary pace and power, but plays with the blinders on. Given the fact that he hasn't even nailed a starting spot for Boro I don't think he's changed much from the player he was at Barça B. I can see his sheer athleticism being an asset to throw from the bench, but not somebody I'd feel comfortable starting in the Premier League, really.