Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't see us being in for 2, especially with Atsu already in. Murphy would be a replacement for Gouffran.

Him or Yoko Ono? I'd take the one that actually supports us any day of the week.

Liverpool didn't want to sell him so why change their mind now?

They might be promising players, but to be totally I honest I thought that we'd be aiming higher after it was confirmed that Rafa's staying. Underwhelming in every way this window. I guess i forgot who our owner and his thumb is for a moment..

I can absolutely see Rafa wanting two more wingers. Remember last year when we said that we didnt need Hanley/Clark? Or it was a waste us signing Murphy?

Rafa likes a big squad, with plenty of options. It's possible that it's become a bigger priority now that Gouffran (I know, I know) isn't staying.

Mind you, I'd be surprised if we spend 20m on two wide players, I thought we would make more use of the loan market.

It's hard to know what's going on but Rafa will be playing the long game here.

If staying up means we have a proper war chest next year then maybe the objective is to spend the minimum amount to guarantee survival.

The truth is none of know apart from those at the club.

All the figures of 70-100m that were talked about as last season finished were hopeful speculation, but it's the yardstick in which we are judging our transfer window by.

What's becoming obvious now is that we had nothing near that amount to begin with.

So if Rafa knows this and is happy with the situation, why can't we trust him on this?

Fuck Ashley and the board, but Rafa I trust.

If staying up means we have a proper war chest next year then maybe the objective is to spend the minimum amount to guarantee survival.

All the figures of 70-100m that were talked about as last season finished were hopeful speculation, but it's the yardstick in which we are judging our transfer window by.

What's becoming obvious now is that we had nothing near that amount to begin with.

So if Rafa knows this and is happy with the situation, why can't we trust him on this?

I agree with you in general but I'm not sure there's any way we can know the bold bit.

You're right that Rafa won't necessarily walk out if he sees the possibility of long-term improvement though, said before I think the most likely scenario is Rafa staying but with an under-strength squad resulting in a lower finish.

Absolutely everything we've heard suggests the opposite like.

We shouldn't really have to be left thinking 'well at least he hasn't walked yet'. :lol:

I'd gladly take this season to consolidate and kick on, but we all know it's not going to happen so long as Ashley is here. What grates me is the constant whinging about it  each transfer window as if it's something new. We were never going splurge 10 - 15 million at the start of the window on bang average players like Bournemouth and Burnley are doing.

My main worry is cover for Gayle, if we go into the season without a second striker who can get a reasonable amount of goals we are taking a huge risk. We know that gayle will have a hamstring pull or two during the season and god forbid he gets a long term injury...

Wish we would start following, monitoring, enquiring and then doing something about strikers tbh!

Chuck in a fast number ten and a defensive midfielder and we will be sound.

FWIW I am not worried at the moment, it is early days and i reckon we will do our business nearer the end of the window when clubs get twitchy about not selling...

Guest firetotheworks

I'd gladly take this season to consolidate and kick on, but we all know it's not going to happen so long as Ashley is here. What grates me is the constant whinging about it  each transfer window as if it's something new. We were never going splurge 10 - 15 million at the start of the window on bang average players like Bournemouth and Burnley are doing.

That's pretty much exactly what we did last season. In the grand scale of things, the 10-15 million on bang average players is Ritchie and Gayle.

Transfers didn't seem to be a problem last summer.

The market is a very, very different place 12 month later. Not just in terms of the fee and salary inflation but the quality we require for the season ahead.

Like everyone I'd be happier to see improvements made already, but while squad fillers are readily available (albeit a lot pricier than last year) and 60-70M bids will get quick results, the market we're in is still largely log jammed.

Almost no one is prepared to commit with six weeks still to go, hoping better offers will come along.

It will give, and when it does we have to make those key signings and they have to be better than what we already have.

Lejuene is undoubtedly an upgrade but I'm not sure that some of the names being bandied around in the press would improve us.

Not much cause for optimism right now is there  :lol:

There's surely no way Rafa is content with this squad going into the season. I guess publicly/openly displaying his concern just isn't his style.

We still need 3 straight into the first team players. Can't see it happening now barring some miracle. The club will balk at the cost if what we have seen so far is any guide.