Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

To a certain extent our opinion on him isn't really important. If Rafa wants him and he's missed out, that can only be a negative at the moment.

Very good article which I feel sums up a situation I've been expecting for a few seasons. Finally we are approaching that transfer market stand-off where wages at clubs have gotten so silly that clubs can't get rid of the deadwood because the players are refusing to take pay cuts in order to play football. If I was a Riviere or a Haidara and getting silly money here then I can't say I would be keen to abandon that to go elsewhere. Certainly not given the form and fitness record of those two. They may as well run down their contracts, take their money and then take their chances of someone picking them up on the free when their contract expires.

We aren't the only club in this situation though. Majority of the lower half of the Premier League are in the same boat and nobody is rushing out to splash the money to strengthen their squad. It has a knock-on effect up the league as well with the bigger clubs unable to shift players they don't want simply because the other clubs can't afford them. In previous years someone would always gamble on players leaving Arsenal, Man Um Chelsea etc but there is going to come a time, and it may be this season, where clubs simply won't be able to because they can't shift their own deadwood to make room for them.

So frustrated with how hard its been to offload the shit in our squad

I think you have answered the source of your own frustration. They are shit. If we know it, so does everyone else. I mean who signs a striker (for a fee anD wages) that has not managed a tap in in over 690+ days!?

We are feeling the pain of our bargain hunting shitty recruitment strategy. It will be the same for 2-3 years IMO. Even the likes of Hanley are not easy to shift due to wages.

Very good article which I feel sums up a situation I've been expecting for a few seasons. Finally we are approaching that transfer market stand-off where wages at clubs have gotten so silly that clubs can't get rid of the deadwood because the players are refusing to take pay cuts in order to play football. If I was a Riviere or a Haidara and getting silly money here then I can't say I would be keen to abandon that to go elsewhere. Certainly not given the form and fitness record of those two. They may as well run down their contracts, take their money and then take their chances of someone picking them up on the free when their contract expires.

We aren't the only club in this situation though. Majority of the lower half of the Premier League are in the same boat and nobody is rushing out to splash the money to strengthen their squad. It has a knock-on effect up the league as well with the bigger clubs unable to shift players they don't want simply because the other clubs can't afford them. In previous years someone would always gamble on players leaving Arsenal, Man Um Chelsea etc but there is going to come a time, and it may be this season, where clubs simply won't be able to because they can't shift their own deadwood to make room for them.

This is a good point, might explain why there's a lot less buying across the league than some thought and most of the "lesser" clubs don't seem to be buying at all.

Newcastle United’s attempts to raise another £20million to boost Rafa Benitez’s transfer kitty are being frustrated by the lucrative contracts their unwanted men are on.

Rafa Benitez anticipated some player sales to fund the transfer that he most desperately needs – that of a striker who can shoulder the Premier League scoring burden alongside Dwight Gayle. But with interest in even players who featured heavily last season only lukewarm, the club have been frustrated in their efforts to sell players who will not feature at all next season.

Manu Riviere is back on Tyneside after turning down a move to Metz while Massadio Haidara’s proposed switch to St Etienne broke down after the club indicated they could not come close to matching his Newcastle wage.

Sources in France claimed the Newcastle left-back is on around £22,500-a-week, which would make him comfortably St Etienne’s highest-paid player. With doubts about his fitness also circulating, it rendered a deal impossible to do.

Riviere still has interest from Turkey – Osmanlispor have been talking to his agent – but he has a long and lucrative contract at Newcastle which is proving a headache for the club’s hierarchy.

Achraf Lazaar, Tim Krul and Henri Saivet are among the others who have been told to find a new club but Newcastle may be forced to loan all five out if they cannot come to an agreement over their long contracts. While far from ideal, it would at least free up space for wages – and Newcastle won’t cancel contracts of players who still have value.

It has been a fraught window with Benitez paying the price for some mistakes made long before he arrived. The long contracts used to entice players like De Jong and Saivet amid competition from others have come back to haunt Newcastle, whose judgement on some of those now looks seriously awry.

Breakthroughs have been tough to come by and United are now making loan enquiries in a bid to work within those budgetary constraints.

That could change if significant sales were to materialise. Newcastle have a second tier of players that they would be prepared to listen to offers for that includes Aleksandar Mitrovic, Siem de Jong, Karl Darlow and Chancel Mbemba and it’s almost certain that bids will materialise before the end of the window for those internationals.

However that leaves United in the difficult position of having to do deals themselves in the final month of the transfer window – a situation that comes fraught with difficulties of its own. The window shuts in a month – it will require a skillful approach to arm Benitez with the squad he feels will keep them competitive in the Premier League.

It's absolutely f***ing ridiculous that we're raising money first like.

Buy the players and then try and rake some back with sales if we can, if we can't then just take the £20m or so off our next budget.

We NEED to sell because we've got far too many players...far more than you can register. No club in the country would continue buying players without shifting their deadwood. We are no different in that respect.

We are very different in other respects like, but shifting players on before we bloat the squad even more is massively important.

:lol: so naive man.

How many players do Chelsea have, about 40 thousand or something int it? Loan shite like Haidara out and pay half of their wages if we have to.

Buy the players and then try and rake some back with sales if we can, if we can't then just take the £20m or so off our next budget.

We NEED to sell because we've got far too many players...far more than you can register. No club in the country would continue buying players without shifting their deadwood. We are no different in that respect.

We are very different in other respects like, but shifting players on before we bloat the squad even more is massively important.

well the likes of chelsea do obviously, but they do so in the knowledge that those surplus to current requirements will be loaned out even on these daft 2 year deal things

this is what i'm saying, we appear to be playing by normal rules and just hoping other teams will take our dross without any kind of incentive from us

just not going to happen

How many players do Chelsea have, about 40 thousand or something int it? Loan shite like Haidara out and pay half of their wages if we have to.

exactly what i'm saying...he's a year left hasn't he?  right we'll cover 50% wages and you can have him for nowt....thanks bye sadio

NEXT!

get the fucking thing done

I just hope we have learned our lesson and will in future stop handing 6 year contracts to unproven players in the hope their value rockets. We will probably just have to survive for a season or two and then hopefully, in future,  whatever budget we've got will go on one or two quality players rather than  five or six hopefuls.

How is that naïve? It's absolutely right, and probably the reason Rafa isn't kicking off. He knows the squad needs to be trimmed. It's easy enough to say we should be doing these deals as favours to other clubs, but if there's interest there for a permanent deal, then why not explore that option?

"All I say is, there is a bank account, when you have emptied it, it’s empty, don’t come crying to me for more money.”

Unless I'm missing something, the only way we could go out and spend money we don't yet have in the bank is if Ashley loaned the club more (or if we extended the overdraft facility).

Obviously I think he should given the circumstances, but the club itself likely doesn't have the capital to do what we want them to do.

How many players do Chelsea have, about 40 thousand or something int it? Loan s**** like Haidara out and pay half of their wages if we have to.

Chelsea can afford, and are willing to keep paying them. We, and most teams outside of the top 4, are not. It's not rocket science.

Or right, so we'll fix our past mistakes by just not fixing them. Sound like a cracking plan.

You have a really rigid way of viewing the transfer market like, there's literally nothing stopping us from spending the ~£30m or so we need on 4 or 5 players, accepting a small loss on Haidara and co and making it up in the future with TV deals of a Sissoko/Cabaye like sale. We're not playing footy manager.