Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Easily 6 players who we could/should dispose of, I agree. You look at the likes of Colback, Riviere, Haidara (I don't think he's that bad but it hasn't worked out), Saivet, and even Hanley and it really does make a total mockery of our whole penny-pinching, austerity transfer policy. Of course, not every signing will go your way but some of the absolute crap we've brought in over Ashley's reign- and some of them not even that cheap- and it really isn't hard to see why we are where we are.

It just shows that sometimes you have to suck it up and pay a bit extra for quality players. We couldn't bring ourselves to do that and instead went for unforgivably bad transfers like Colback (to replace Cabaye) and we got what we deserved.

I can see why Hanley was purchased but nonetheless he's not close to good enough for the PL, and for around £5m is bloody scandalous for what he has contributed and the contradiction it makes of our policies.

Absolutely, we need to shift these players but we just as badly need to sign good new players and not doing so, yet again, is not fucking good enough. The only reason we will dig our heals in is not because we cant shift some of these cunts, but because we don't 'balance the books' enough. It's a load of bollocks.

Hanley doesn't belong in that group, he was a shrewd signing to make sure we got promoted.

It wasn't shrewd. Yes, we needed the squad depth but for his price + wages it was a desperation more than sense.

Hanley doesn't belong in that group, he was a shrewd signing to make sure we got promoted.

Totally- except the bit where he played in 7 league games, we paid 5m for him, gave him massive wages and can't shift him. We should have just loaned someone in.

It wasn't shrewd. Yes, we needed the squad depth but for his price + wages it was a desperation more than sense.

I don't agree at all, one more injury and he would've become essential. And he would've done an OK job. Obviously to get these players you have to give them more than a one-season contract, it's just the price a promoted teams pays.

Of course we have made some shit signings too.

I don't agree at all, one more injury and he would've become essential. And he would've done an OK job. Obviously to get these players you have to give them more than a one-season contract, it's just the price a promoted teams pays.

Of course we have made some s*** signings too.

I agree, we couldn't have gone in that light. But as I said his wages of around £40,000 a week and £5m fee was poor business. Colback, although signed for free, is probably on around that, and now we are burdened with both of those clowns- primarily because of what it will take to get them to leave for less money if possible. Neither were well researched imo, just like countless others over the last few years.

I just don't see how Hanley fits into that category though, he filled a spot we needed to fill and is a decent player. He's just the fourth-best now and the one that has to go. And arguably neither does Colback since he was free.

They are fundamentally different to signings like Riviere, who is just a total waste of time and probably a favour for an agency.

So let's say we simply can't shift players like Riviere. Are people suggesting it's acceptable to just not sign another striker, for example?

I can totally understand us wanting to reduce the wage bill etc, but surely at some point we've got to do business outside of that. Otherwise we'd be in deep shit with like two injuries.

So let's say we simply can't shift players like Riviere. Are people suggesting it's acceptable to just not sign another striker, for example?

I can totally understand us wanting to reduce the wage bill etc, but surely at some point we've got to do business outside of that. Otherwise we'd be in deep shit with like two injuries.

It's a balancing act. Sadly we don't know the ins and outs  (excuse the pun). We don't know if x, y and z are close to leaving or not, therefore the club might be waiting for one to happen before moving on a target.

I think the gamble is that we will shift these players in time to do our own business.

I've come to the part where I don't care if we sign 2 or 4 more, as long as it's quality. Even though we'd need more than two, ideally.

Expectations are low, time will tell..

The Celtic LB does look canny like. You can see why we've been linked with him if true.

Mad figures being quoted iirc. He's looked good the couple of Scotland games I've seen him.

From the Ryder:

As the Magpies jetted back into Germany the board remain in talks over the possible arrivals of Lucas Perez or Angel Correra, while work on a goalkeeper is still ongoing

I badly hope the Correa thing happens ( as unlikely as it may seem) desperately in need of some skill and pace upfront.

From the Ryder:

As the Magpies jetted back into Germany the board remain in talks over the possible arrivals of Lucas Perez or Angel Correra, while work on a goalkeeper is still ongoing

I badly hope the Correa thing happens ( as unlikely as it may seem) desperately in need of some skill and pace upfront.

Barely heard of him, don't watch much of La Liga. Differences between him and Lucas Perez?

From the Ryder:

Barely heard of him, don't watch much of La Liga. Differences between him and Lucas Perez?

He's a typical Argentine forward really. Good dribbler, pacey and quite strong for his size. He's still quite small though so i'm not sure he could play upfront by himself, but behind Gayle he'd be class IMO.

Like i said though i doubt it would happen, but i'm gonna dream. :lol:

From the Ryder:

Poorer version of Aguero crossed with Maxi Rodriguez.

Both replies. :thup:

So he can play as a #10 as well as a ST?

Technically yes and the wings, but i'm not sure about his success upfront personally in England. Maybe i'm wrong and Rafa gets him and moulds him into some class striker. :lol:

Even so hope it happens, some quality in forward areas whether as a CF or deeper would be great.

Both replies. :thup:

So he can play as a #10 as well as a ST?

Technically yes and the wings, but i'm not sure about his success upfront personally in England. Maybe i'm wrong and Rafa gets him and moulds him into some class striker. :lol:

Even so hope it happens, some quality in forward areas whether as a CF or deeper would be great.

Agreed, need some quality as well as versatility in forward areas. I think Rafa is wanting a striker who can play across a 3, so happy days if we get this lad.

So we're not really going to buy until we shift some of the dead wood. Fair enough and as some have said, what's not to understand about that.

But and it's a big one, if we stick to that principle and go we with what we have (not enough quality imo) if we can't shift the players we don't want. Are the club going to risk the Premiership and fortune in money that comes with it for the smaller amounts that would be payed to the players we can't shift, a few who are in the last year of their contracts.

Long term thinking really isn't what this club does, it's so short sighted and if it back fires we go down, and we'll be even further behind than we already are. If we then come back up again, we'll be so far off the rest it'll be scary. While i get we have too many players, surely short term spending now will benefit us later.

Hanley was signed and started the first match of the season, Rafa surely saw him as an experienced leader (captain of Blackburn right?) and Clark was signed from Villa having not had a very good season at all (IIRC) the year prior. Clark emerged as the best and most reliable defender in the team and displaced Hanley.