Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gayle should be first choice anyway, he is good enough to start for a mid table side and had a great season for us last year.

We should instead be looking to ensure Gayle gets the best possible cover, and we have the players behind him who can create chances.

Gayle should be first choice anyway, he is good enough to start for a mid table side and had a great season for us last year.

We should instead be looking to ensure Gayle gets the best possible cover, and we have the players behind him who can create chances.

He's only ever been back up for a bottom half team. We have no idea if he's good enough to be the main man.

I'm not convinced he's good enough to be no.1 striker for a mid table team, he'd be a good no.2 though.

Of course he would be a backup, or an option. That's the point. It means we're replacing Murphy with a younger version, rather than using his freed space to bring in a new first choice.

Disappointing, and shows we have fuck all to spend.

If Gayle is fit, he'll score plenty in the PL with decent service.

This!

One goal every 181 minutes in the Premier League and he played out wide several times as well as one goal every 93 minutes last season!

I understand we need a squad but if we're signing players purely to be a backup (signing Joselu to replce Murphy) won't we have the same problem this time next year when we can't shift them?

This, his movement, timing of his runs and finishing is all good enough if given the right service. Only slight concern is his fitness record tbh.

This, his movement, timing of his runs and finishing is all good enough if given the right service. Only slight concern is his fitness record tbh.

Agreed, put it this way if he had never played in the Premiership and was going into it with the record he had last year in the Championship we would not be concerned

We're going for Adrian as well apparently.

Honestly don't think he's that much of an upgrade on what we have, but maybe I'm underselling him.

Agree.

Adrian isn't even a good shot stopper from when I can remember seeing him. He seems to let in a lot of simple goals.

I'm not a massive fan of Elliot or Darlow at a Premier League level

but it seems daft to spend what seems to be limited funds on a marginal upgrade.

If it's the keeper Adrian then it's a huge upgrade imo. Was one of the top 8-10 keepers in the league for me before last season, and given that whoever starts for us at the moment would be one of the weakest 2-3, I'd take it. Pretty sure there was talk of him making the Spanish squad too.

He's only ever been back up for a bottom half team. We have no idea if he's good enough to be the main man.

Agreed, I've liked him since he was at Palace, but it would be daft to put all our eggs in one basket, especially given his injury history.

I understand we need a squad but if we're signing players purely to be a backup (signing Joselu to replce Murphy) won't we have the same problem this time next year when we can't shift them?

I agree with this and would also add that surely you sign better than what you have, so that your current player becomes the back up?

If it's the keeper Adrian then it's a huge upgrade imo. Was one of the top 8-10 keepers in the league for me before last season, and given that whoever starts for us at the moment would be one of the weakest 2-3, I'd take it. Pretty sure there was talk of him making the Spanish squad too.

If that was true, West Ham wouldn't have been in for Hart, someone who's hardly been in great form himself. I think this is a waste of limited resources imo, if we want an upgrade we need to be looking at better than him.