Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Like Ashley will allow Rafa to fetch in a replacement, once Gayle is sold! Remember when Milner was peddled behind Keegan's back.

I don't share your certainty here. I was surprised to read it, but even under Ashley, statistically speaking the amount of players we have replaced still outweighs the amount of players that we haven't replaced.

The hurt will never fade, but the odds are with us. Stay strong brother.

O0

You've also got to believe that Rafa's got control of incomings and outgoings in a way that no manager under Ashley ever previously has.

All summer I've wanted someone with similar characteristics to Gayle, who could serve as a like-for-like replacement and compete for that starting spot. One game against West Ham hasn't convinced me that we won't spend much of the season sitting deep and hitting balls over the top: whether in the vicinity of Gayle our out wide, it was the thrust of our attacks last season, and it requires someone with pace who can stretch the opposition defence.

Do we have the attacking midfielders to score goals behind a less clinical target man? As superbly as Joselu played on Saturday, even in that game he didn't look like a finisher, just in time for our first but looking least sharp in front of goal. Without an immediate replacement, selling Gayle would leave us without a goalscorer and reliant on a very different style of play.

Are we even linked with a replacement for Gayle?

Did Perez ever 100% knock us back or was Deportivo just his preferred destination? Sounds like they can't afford what Arsenal want and before gayle is sold we should be in if we have a chance.

So is it probable Rafa is willing to sell Gayle to fund a better #10 then go with Joselu, Mitro and potentially a last minute loan up top?

Makes sense to me tbh, don't think Gayle is going to cut it without a #10 anyways.

I think it's more likely we'll use the money on a striker. Although either player, at the level to make a guaranteed impact, should cost way over £15m.

We'll see but I'm not convinced. #10 is crucial to Rafa's system and we've got good support, some pace add goal threats out wide now. Main issue is Perez / Diame are not good enough and don't contribute.

Add a 10 goal / 10 assist player into the #10 spot (I know) and loan a striker such as Origi and we'd be in far better shape than just replacing Gayle like for like imo.

This.

What's the chances our transfer finale is spent on wondering so much whether Gayle is going to leave that they somehow try to make fans thankful that he doesn't go on deadline day as opposed to focusing on whether we've actually bought anyone else.

Get the feeling this is an time wasting excersise. Gayle will stay and only Kenedy will come in at 11:50pm

This.

Yeah basically. Just spent all summer very aware of how hard it is to get players to go, but now obviously Gayle who apparently just told Rafa he doesn't want to go, is going to jump at the opportunity to join Fulham because we might get a good offer?

Well, if nothing else, thanks to Fulham we can now dismiss those posts on here that said Gayle was worth "10M"  :idiot2:

15M is only the first bid....

Lots of options, but only 36 hours or whatever to get something done. Back to Arsenal for Perez? Origi on loan? Praet and Remy on loan as backup with Joselu first choice? You expect Gayle to get a full medical wherever he's going, so selling him first may only leave minutes to sign a replacement. The deals will have to be done at the same time.

Still hoping for a keeper myself.

Well, if nothing else, thanks to Fulham we can now dismiss those posts on here that said Gayle was worth "10M"  :idiot2:

15M is only the first bid....

Lots of options, but only 36 hours or whatever to get something done. Back to Arsenal for Perez? Origi on loan? Praet and Remy on loan as backup with Joselu first choice? You expect Gayle to get a full medical wherever he's going, so selling him first may only leave minutes to sign a replacement. The deals will have to be done at the same time.

Still hoping for a keeper myself.

Must be easy for you to quote those posts, if they exist?

Rafa must have identified replacements already.  No question about that.  Just a matter of time and willingness.

I do think he wants to sell Gayle, not the other way round.

He won't want to sell Gayle, but he'd probably be prepared to swap him for someone better. Can't say I've heard too many names mentioned so far who have me convinced they are better.

Two bad games at the start of the campaign is enogh for whole lot of ya'll to say he isn't Premier League calibre.

The thing is, I think he's actually a very good striker when played in a striking partnership. Even as a lone gun he proved to be very efficient in the Championship - first couple of games in PL were definitely not assuring, but come on, give the lad a chance, eh?

Inconsistency of "tactical geniuses" among fellow Newcastle supporters is stunning. Majority of the fans said that playing Mitro as a lone striker doesn't work because of his physical abilities, and now all of a sudden - Joselu scored a tap in, Mitro scored as a sub when we already destroyed West Ham's confidence - and the only thing working in Rafa's system is a big man up front. And the little guy who scored 23 is a definite surplus. Whoa.

As much as I love Rafa, and I get the fact that he's working in difficult conditions where he has to sell in order to (hopefully) replace, I think that his stubbornness about team formation may cost us options we desperately need.

P.S.

This is all coming from a guy who thinks Mitrović should be above Gayle in the pecking order.

Two bad games at the start of the campaign is enogh for whole lot of ya'll to say he isn't Premier League calibre.

The thing is, I think he's actually a very good striker when played in a striking partnership. Even as a lone gun he proved to be very efficient in the Championship - first couple of games in PL were definitely not assuring, but come on, give the lad a chance, eh?

Inconsistency of "tactical geniuses" among fellow Newcastle supporters is stunning. Majority of the fans said that playing Mitro as a lone striker doesn't work because of his physical abilities, and now all of a sudden - Joselu scored a tap in, Mitro scored as a sub when we already destroyed West Ham's confidence - and the only thing working in Rafa's system is a big man up front. And the little guy who scored 23 is a definite surplus. Whoa.

As much as I love Rafa, and I get the fact that he's working in difficult conditions where he has to sell in order to (hopefully) replace, I think that his stubbornness about team formation may cost us options we desperately need.

P.S.

This is all coming from a guy who thinks Mitrović should be above Gayle in the pecking order.

N2jas8x.png

This is all coming from a guy who thinks he's played two premier league games

frog-face_1f438.png

No way should we sell now. NUFC won't have time to buy a replacement, it's too late and we can't complete more than 1 deal at a time.

Says you.

Come on Charnerz, let's see you shove that assessment right back down Stiflers pipes.