Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

I can see this being the transfer that makes or breaks the board's relationship with Rafa. Surely he'll only be prepared to let Gayle go if he has someone else lined up. If the board f*** about and stop the replacement coming in it'll be the straw that broke the camel's back. We'll have around £30-40m in the coffers if this goes through and a decent budget for wages. No excuses!

Again, why do people think that we'll have that money? We sell players in installments and buy them upfront. If we sell Gayle now Rafa will see about £5m of the fee.

If you believe the latest media stories, the problem is not transfer fees but wage limits. Of coz 5m or 15m did matter a lot but I don't think this is the crucial factor now, it's  time and willingness.

I really do like Gayle, but his fitness problems are a concern.

I'd accept if Rafa had someone lined up of his choice, who would actually be purchased in the next week or so.

Or, say, by 11pm tomorrow? :lol:

Still very, very uneasy about all of this.

Aye or then :lol:

I just wonder if Rafa has had people in his crossheirs, and Ashley has been saying to him: well you need to raise £xm to get that player. If this facilitates that, I trust Rafa and his vision for the team.

As I said, I'm pretty fond of Gayle, but he's not on the pitch enough.

Still can't get my head around this one at all. Like I said yesterday though, I can't help but feel it's Rafa that doesn't want him here anymore.

Gayle isn't a Benitez type striker, IMO. His hold up play isn't good enough.

Disagree with this like, think it's purely down to his fitness. If Gayle doesn't trust his own body, how can Benitez?

I can see this being the transfer that makes or breaks the board's relationship with Rafa. Surely he'll only be prepared to let Gayle go if he has someone else lined up. If the board f*** about and stop the replacement coming in it'll be the straw that broke the camel's back. We'll have around £30-40m in the coffers if this goes through and a decent budget for wages. No excuses!

Again, why do people think that we'll have that money? We sell players in installments and buy them upfront. If we sell Gayle now Rafa will see about £5m of the fee.

Do we know this is still the case?

I know the Sissoko deal was supposedly installments, but that was last summer and for a high fee, which still boils down to a reasonable amount into the pot per year.

If Rafa has asked for, and gotten control of transfer targets, maybe he's also asked that the payment terms were changed so he has the full funds to spend from sales?

As for Gayle, for some reason this isn't bothering me as much as previous sales - that is dependant on Rafa getting a replacement in by tomorrow night, of course.

But as for Gayle the player - perhaps he found his level last season. Something has clearly changed over the summer, either with him or the managers feeling towards him - but if Rafa is happy to let him go, then maybe he doesn't rate him at this level?

Still can't get my head around this one at all. Like I said yesterday though, I can't help but feel it's Rafa that doesn't want him here anymore.

Gayle isn't a Benitez type striker, IMO. His hold up play isn't good enough.

Disagree with this like, think it's purely down to his fitness. If Gayle doesn't trust his own body, how can Benitez?

he even not able to do it in Championship when he was fully fit.

Guest firetotheworks

They'll either sell him and not sufficiently replace, or not sell him and use it as a way of saying "well you should be glad we didn't sell gayle!" and not signing anyone

:thup:

Madness that the idea of buying a replacement first, then selling Gayle is laughable to even consider as a possibility under these clowns.

Essential we get a replacement in if we let him go.  I've got this horrible feeling it'll be a 'we tried' situation though.

Reports previously said we still had transfer funds available so maybe we can take this £15m, add it to the kitty and go for someone in the £25m bracket who'll get us goals and improve the side.

:yao:

If they've bid £15m we will easily get £18m from them and I'm in no doubt we will sell. It's all about the replacement, wenger said come back when we had some money and it looks like his move back to Spain is dead as both options want a loan. Arise sir Perez.

We can't let him go now, I have zero faith that we will replace him in this window. I don't understand the timing of this bid, f*** Fulham.

I think the timing is probably all about them finding out he's available - most would expect a newly promoted club wouldn't be too keen on selling their top scorer.

As many others have said I really wouldn't put it past Ashley to sell Gayle, then just put out some smokescreen to say we tried to get someone in but failed at the last minute. If this happens I can see it being the final straw for Rafa as he rightly won't stand for such nonsense.

I really hope I'm wrong and that we either keep Gayle or have a replacement in the bag plus at least two other quality signings but this is Ashley we're talking about and he has previous for such behaviour so I fear the worst.

We used to buy up front but the latest accounts suggest we have stopped doing that to some extent. As at 30th June 2016 we owed £38 million on players we had bought in.

Inevitable Joselu ACL rupture in training before Swansea when we sell him but can't get a replacement over the line because of the looming threat of the DPRK.

We'll still be able to bring Chamakh in on a free

Combined with the fact they just shipped Aluko.

I can't see Gayle suddenly doing a Sturridge, scoring on whatever in the matches he's playing so I think it's time to cash in and go in another direction.