Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Two bad games at the start of the campaign is enogh for whole lot of ya'll to say he isn't Premier League calibre.

The thing is, I think he's actually a very good striker when played in a striking partnership. Even as a lone gun he proved to be very efficient in the Championship - first couple of games in PL were definitely not assuring, but come on, give the lad a chance, eh?

Inconsistency of "tactical geniuses" among fellow Newcastle supporters is stunning. Majority of the fans said that playing Mitro as a lone striker doesn't work because of his physical abilities, and now all of a sudden - Joselu scored a tap in, Mitro scored as a sub when we already destroyed West Ham's confidence - and the only thing working in Rafa's system is a big man up front. And the little guy who scored 23 is a definite surplus. Whoa.

As much as I love Rafa, and I get the fact that he's working in difficult conditions where he has to sell in order to (hopefully) replace, I think that his stubbornness about team formation may cost us options we desperately need.

P.S.

This is all coming from a guy who thinks Mitrović should be above Gayle in the pecking order.

I've never thought Gayle, in the system we play, would work in this league.  Nowt do to with the first two games.  I'm not even sure it would work in any system with the players we have at our disposal.

So if Benitez wants to sell him and bring in someone better suited no problem.  But obviously it has to be his decision.

Two bad games at the start of the campaign is enogh for whole lot of ya'll to say he isn't Premier League calibre.

The thing is, I think he's actually a very good striker when played in a striking partnership. Even as a lone gun he proved to be very efficient in the Championship - first couple of games in PL were definitely not assuring, but come on, give the lad a chance, eh?

Inconsistency of "tactical geniuses" among fellow Newcastle supporters is stunning. Majority of the fans said that playing Mitro as a lone striker doesn't work because of his physical abilities, and now all of a sudden - Joselu scored a tap in, Mitro scored as a sub when we already destroyed West Ham's confidence - and the only thing working in Rafa's system is a big man up front. And the little guy who scored 23 is a definite surplus. Whoa.

As much as I love Rafa, and I get the fact that he's working in difficult conditions where he has to sell in order to (hopefully) replace, I think that his stubbornness about team formation may cost us options we desperately need.

P.S.

This is all coming from a guy who thinks Mitrović should be above Gayle in the pecking order.

N2jas8x.png

This is all coming from a guy who thinks he's played two premier league games

frog-face_1f438.png

To be fair those appearances come to a total of 30 full games in minutes on the pitch, and he scored 15 goals in those games, which is a excellent record.

So he can certainly score in this league when given time on the pitch in the right setup.  I just don't think he gives enough to the team to be our main striker.

P.S.

N2jas8x.png

frog-face_1f438.png

You must think you are very clever, even though you know exactly what my point was.

Gayle clearly ain't a world beater, as those stats you posted say, but we won't bring in a world beater anyway. That being said, we definitely need more than one type of striker around. And giving up on one that we have, that scored 23 goals last year, is just a bad idea.

P.S.

I've never thought Gayle, in the system we play, would work in this league.  Nowt do to with the first two games.  I'm not even sure it would work in any system with the players we have at our disposal.

So if Benitez wants to sell him and bring in someone better suited no problem.  But obviously it has to be his decision.

Agree with this, if he insists on playing one up front, Gayle wouldn't suit our formation at all. Maybe he's an inferior version of Owen, he will get you goals but will contribute little else. How many times did Owen play up front on his own?

P.S.

N2jas8x.png

frog-face_1f438.png

He averages a goal every 180 minutes in the Premier League and I'm sure it was a goal every 90 minutes last season

Like the summer after finishing 5th: the most important thing in this transfer window was to keep our key players.

Do you think? I think most fans would say the most important thing was better-quality signings.

Considering we don't really have any quality players, it wasn't important to keep hold of any of them. We literally could have afforded to let any one of our players go, if we where willing to spend the money, quality players would have come in.

Like the summer after finishing 5th: the most important thing in this transfer window was to keep our key players.

Do you think? I think most fans would say the most important thing was better-quality signings.

Nah, I just think that's the line they will peddle to the fans like Pardew did that summer.

I think we have concerns over his fitness. Or at least his faith in his own fitness.

I could be behind Gayle leaving if it actually meant we did something positive signing wise. But it won't happen.

Not that this transfer will happen either. Just a convenient story to smokescreen people as per usual.

He'll be like a new signing once the window closes and we've valiantly fought off the advances of the sovereign state of Fulham.