Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

2 headers from memory which someone like Shearer would have burried. The rest from memory were half chances, one from a distance IIRC.

Through on goal 15 yards out second half, missed the target.

Small margins but they matter at this level.

Well let’s replace him with... oh wait!

In an ideal world but you and I know that Ashley isn't spending.

So we have to make do. Not the whole picture I know, especially as Gayle came in for the likes of Man United and Chelsea away but still relatively telling...

Won 1, lost 8 of 11 that Gayle has started.

Won 5, lost 8 of 17 that Joselu has started.

Guest Howaythetoon

2 headers from memory which someone like Shearer would have burried. The rest from memory were half chances, one from a distance IIRC.

Through on goal 15 yards out second half, missed the target.

Small margins but they matter at this level.

Well let’s replace him with... oh wait!

In an ideal world but you and I know that Ashley isn't spending.

So we have to make do. Not the whole picture I know, especially as Gayle came in for the likes of Man United and Chelsea away but still relatively telling...

Won 1, lost 8 of 11 that Gayle has started.

Won 5, lost 8 of 17 that Joselu has started.

So six games more... stats can skewer anything really. I’d like to see goals to shots ratio. All I know is Gayle is our best bet for a goal and has shown recently he’s not to bad at holding the ball up etc. or putting himself about. His attributes also lend more to our game or way of playing. Anyway it’s a moot point when you’re drawing at home to Swansea, no money to spend, and a relegation fight is on the cards, it’s all shit really. Again, thanks Mike!

Watching his goals from the Championship again, about two thirds seem to be from the six yard box or very close by. Against the better defences in the PL, we've not been able to get in behind anything like as much, so those goals have disappeared.

My comment was before the game, and he certainly can't blame the service yesterday. fwiw, most of those six yard goals were with his feet. I don't think he's ever beaten an in-position keeper with a shot from outside the box, so the other chance was not one he was likely to take. This wouldn't matter so much if he did better closer in, but the headers were woeful. Ayew's was straight at Darlow, but had enough power to get a second chance.

It sounds like Rafa would have happily traded up on Gayle in the summer but the transfer people were too stingy and inept to do it. He can even do wheeler dealing to make the most of what little resources we have.

Not good enough like that majority of our team. I also do not think he has the desire/heart to make up for his lack of quality at the top level.

Looked totally uninterested yesterday. When he's not scoring goals he contributes nothing else either. At least Joselu, his goal aside, won some headers and worked the two centre halves.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not good enough like that majority of our team. I also do not think he has the desire/heart to make up for his lack of quality at the top level.

Looked totally uninterested yesterday. When he's not scoring goals he contributes nothing else either. At least Joselu, his goal aside, won some headers and worked the two centre halves.u

Looked totally uninterested yesterday. When he's not scoring goals he contributes nothing else either. At least Joselu, his goal aside, won some headers and worked the two centre halves.

He didn't score, but his general play was fine. Pressed well, nicked the ball a few times, won headers, held up play etc. I just think he’s low on confidence. Again I’d back him to score goals ahead of anyone else we have and his game is much better than Joselu’s.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT are you ok? You never used to talk this much s****.

:lol: one thing I’ve always done well is talk shit. I’m fine btw, couldn’t be better really. Just pissed off with NUFC and that’s probably a lot to do with the realisation that my heart just isn’t in it now and never will be. Too far gone, damage done etc.

Dunno why I post on here really :D probably the only place that keeps me going NUFC wise mind.

He's started 7 out of the last 10 games which included a run of 4 games in 2 weeks.

I meant he needs to start every game if fit.

If you want us to get relegated.

0.45 - Points Per Game when Gayle starts

1.50 - Points Per Game when Gayle doesn't start

I’m saying if people want Gayle to start scoring regularly, he has to play regularly, and not in fits and starts which is what has happened this season. Your stats btw, you could say the same for Hayden, for Shelvey, for half the team. It’s irrelevent. Doesn’t mean we are losing games not winning because Gayle is playing or even vice versa. Play Gayle and we get relegated is that what you are saying, or rather your stats? Basically I’m just defending him today. I thought he was a goal threat, a nuisance and generally played really well. Put one or two of them chances away and it’s MOTM and 8/10.

He was awful today, 4 good chances, cocked them all up. He's played plenty of football recently. He's not good enough.

He should have scored from the headers, but none of them were sitters IMO. He's not good enough, but I agree with HTT, probably still our best bet for goals. At least he was making space for himself to get those efforts in.

Not a fan at all, but I'll suspend all belief that he's a useless, profligate, deeply frustrating player, and give the wee shitehawk a chance.

Fingers crossed. Could miraculously blossom like a post Norwich Bellamy. :thup:

Blossom damn it. :undecided:

• 2 weeks later...