Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Did I hear it here first? "Out and out goal scorer" who has scored more than 7 goals in the league once...5 seasons ago...in the Conference? Interesting description.

Aye :lol: I think he'll do well but i don't share the confidence that some on here have for him.

Actually that wasn't accurate either which is why I deleted that :lol: Apologies. I'll stop now.

Hope he does well but find the confidence of some a bit weird.

:thup:

Same goes for the claims that Mitrovic isn't a finisher. He's had one season here when the whole club was in a s*** state. In Premier League, being quite young. Put him in a functional team with a functional manager, and we'll see. He is a great finisher.

He didn't show it last season, he was missing some sitters. I don't see how being in a bad team affects your finishing. You get chances, either you put them away or you don't.

Pressure, confidence...there's a lot that can play in. He has shown what he really is about in previous seasons.

You have to place more of your judgement on full games you've seen though. Can't imagine many of us saw how many/how few chances he missed in Belgium.

"In the end they decided," Benitez revealed.

"I wanted to organise a finishing competition to see who would get the number nine.

No wonder Mitro let him have it then, knew he'd have lost that competition anyway

A fair (not all, admittedly - he missed a few decent headed opportunities from memory) amount of the chances that Mitrovic was guilty of missing last season were those scrappy, one-touch, poachery finishes where you just fling a leg at it and hope for the best. The kind that Cisse used to put away more often than not. When Mitrovic was put through on goal - only really the twice IIRC, Norwich and West Brom - he finished emphatically.

There's some people you can put your house on to either get on the end of chances or put them in when one on one. Say Shearer or Michael Owen for example. Those are what I call finishers. That doesn't mean that Mitro's not a good finisher, I just haven't seen it in his games so far. In any case, he's got other attributes apart from goals so it's not as important for him as it would be for a smaller striker.

There's some people you can put your house on to either get on the end of chances or put them in when one on one. Say Shearer or Michael Owen for example. Those are what I call finishers. That doesn't mean that Mitro's not a good finisher, I just haven't seen it in his games so far. In any case, he's got other attributes apart from goals so it's not as important for him as it would be for a smaller striker.

Agreed, he has other promising attributes but to pretend he's a great finisher at this point in time is silly. Hopefully he bags a hatful this year, but then next year when the chances are fewer and harder will be the real test.

:anguish: Never ever a number 9 player. Oh well.

He's as close to one as we've got.

How's that? Has the best goal scoring record or what?

If he stays fit he'll score more goals for us than anyone else this season imo.

Maybe, maybe not. Hasn't been the most prolific so far. Not exactly sure why people are expecting huge things from someone with a pretty average scoring record.

Nobody said they expected huge things from him. Just to score more than anyone else at the club if he remains fit.

That's a pretty huge thing to expect.

Think Perez might be the top scorer actually.

Can't see anyone getting more than Gayle this season, he's an out and out goalscorer, and I'm yet to be convinced either Mitro or Perez are. We should do a poll.

Gayle hasnt scored more than 7 league goals in a season since he was in the conference in 2011/12.. I do think he will have a good season though.

Mitrovic is a goalscorer, he didnt do well in a bad team in his first season but still scored more than Gayle has in a PL season.

It's just opinion at the end of the day, no one can say for certain who will be top scorer. I' just basing it on what I've seen of all our players, Gayle just looks like a finisher whereas I'm yet to be convinced by Mitro in that department.

to me ritchie looks like the player who could make mitro should the stars align and they get enough game time to form an understanding early on, at first glance ritchie seems to have the best delivery of a player from wide we've had in quite some time and i think mitro would love that

And as for Gayle, the boss has urged him to set his sights towards Shearer's record-breaking 206 goals for the Club.

"It will maybe be impossible to do what Alan Shearer has done with the number nine but if he is a little bit close in a couple of years, that would be fantastic for us," he said.

And as for Gayle, the boss has urged him to set his sights towards Shearer's record-breaking 206 goals for the Club.

"It will maybe be impossible to do what Alan Shearer has done with the number nine but if he is a little bit close in a couple of years, that would be fantastic for us," he said.

:lol: No pressure, lad.

:lol: Now, now..

Just thought Id point out Mitro has 9 Premier League goals in 34 apps and Gayle has 15 PL goals in 63 apps over 3 seasons. Mitro also bagged 36 goals in 2 the seasons in the Belgian league prior to joining us.

I would bet any money that Gayle's goals per minute record is far superior to Mitro's!

To be fair, Gayle was hindered for a year and a half as he had Pardew as his manager.

Will take some time to bring him back round.

:lol: Never thought this forum would ever forget Pardew but it seems like it's happened if the last couple pages are anything to go by.

I don't think Gayle is that great but if he scores 200 goals for us I may reconsider

Not a chance. We will never have a player here long enough to do that and if they were in form to get that figure than bigger clubs will buy him off us.

Unless we get taken over by someone who can provide Man City levels of funding or money falls out of the game then I can't ever the Shearer's record being broken.