Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

He wasn't average at best either

Over the five month period he was average imo - I would put him in the class bracket for a 3/4 games max.  He's inconsistent - always has been.

Find some stats to back up your claims Duo as he was productive as he has ever been when with us  https://www.whoscored.com/Players/71522/History/Andros-Townsend.

I also still stand by my statement that in the flesh, when we played Palace at home this season without their striker, other than Zaha who was the best offensive player on the pitch, Townsend was the second best player.

Guest Howaythetoon

We could realistically (ok, ok...) get Ki, Townsend & Plea for approx the same amount as Merino, Ritchie & Mitrovic. That’s one of the reasons I don’t get too strung up on ‘net spend’.

Then Rafa can spend his “budget” on Kenedy and strippers – perfect!  :D

I’d call that a sideways step at this point in time if we are talking on paper...

Plea is unknown and Townsend athough a better player is nowhere near a better character/professionalthan Ritchie or maybe even a better bet for goals and assists. Ki is not as talented as Merino either.

If those players can help transform how we play however or fit Rafa’s methods better then obviously it’s an improvement, but we won’t be talking huge margins.

Aye, Townsend is definitely an upgrade on Ritchie. Bit of revisionism going on about Richie's performances last season as well. I thought he struggled more than most pre-xmas, was culpable for us conceding a few goals (see Watford at home), but did play better in the second half of the season.

Townsend was class for the entirety of the 5 months we had him

Class? So much so we stayed up - oh wait !!

Now I am not putting our relegation on him but:

a.) He wasn't class

b.) He couldn't wait to jump ship

And we couldn't wait to ditch some of the championship players (Hanley and Murphy) we bought once we were promoted. Can't have it both ways and take it personally, it's just football.

That’s the price if you wanna stay in Rafas squad. Stroke the shaft and swallow the gravy 😂 Ritchie knows how to play the game.. maybe Andros was the one that got away

• 2 weeks later...

Fine by me, at least our team will be the same standard as last year and not weaker

Our standard had us in the relegation zone at Christmas

It had Dubravka and Kenedy after that.

It did. That doesn’t mean Matt Richie doesn’t need upgraded though.

Fine by me, at least our team will be the same standard as last year and not weaker

He's one of the last players we need to upgrade on tbh.

He's one of the last players we need to upgrade on tbh.

If selling means we can buy Townsend then it would make sense to sell. But that prospect looks unlikely now so looks like we'll be keeping him now anyway, although I think he is too slow to make Rafa's team as effective as it should be.

• 3 weeks later...