Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

I think it is more the fact that he didn’t really want to be here last time, and probably would only come back here if he had no other options.

I could be wrong about that, I am only speculating but it’s the feeling I get towards him.

I remember Rafa saying something that suggested Townsend was the one who he really wanted to say, and basically had no animosity towards him when he left. Interview or something on nufc.co.uk I think. He's tried to get him like 3 windows in a row now, I just cannot get why people wouldn't actively want him to sign a player like that who he obviously really likes.

Guest reefatoon

I think he did want to be here and was giving his all to keep us up. He just didn’t want to drop into the championship.

I remember Rafa saying something that suggested Townsend was the one who he really wanted to say, and basically had no animosity towards him when he left. Interview or something on nufc.co.uk I think. He's tried to get him like 3 windows in a row now, I just cannot get why people wouldn't actively want him to sign a player like that who he obviously really likes.

Actually within the context of our transfer windows I suppose it's natural to feel like this, like :lol:

Could we not just sell Atsu instead. He’s a waste of space in comparison to Ritchie.

Although if he does leave I wish him the very best. He did well for us.

I think if stoke offered us £15m for atsu we’d sell him. Why would they though?

Not saying they are interested, but surely some club would take him for 7 or 8 million. I’d rather put that towards any move for another player rather than lose such a reliable player like Ritchie.

Murphy on the other hand was starting to show signs of things clicking, he could well go on to have a good season. I see him playing as a forward though. The lad can finish, has the pace to play off the shoulder of defenders.

Rafa will figure out what to do with him hopefully.

I think he has more potential than all of our current or linked with wingers with the exception of Kenedy.

Having a decent striker if we ever get one will take the pressure off our existing players. I’m hoping Rafa is trying to do things on the cheap now so that we can bid big for one proper striker.

Because he played really well under him here 2 years ago

He was average at best.

He wasn't like. He was our best player under Rafa.

Scored a couple of games on the bounce nothing outstanding.  Not done much for Palace either.  He got 2 goals last season - 2 for an attacking midfielder that's poor.  Lascelles scored more.  They've Zaha to thank for staying up.

He's a winger, and he also had 7 assists.

Richie had 5 - scored one more goal.  If you're going to sell Richie at least go for someone who is going to be an improvement.

I don't think Rafa is just looking at their WhoScored pages though, I only mentioned the assists because you left them out for some reason. I think Townsend is a fairly blatant upgrade on Ritchie personally like, it seems fairly obvious Rafa agrees too.

Could we not just sell Atsu instead. He’s a waste of space in comparison to Ritchie.

How good do you think Ritchie is that a player can be a waste of space by comparison but still have done well for us?

Anyway, no I wouldn't bother selling a useful squad player for £7-£8m, what's the point?

EDIT: Ah ok, you mean Ritchie did well for us.  He was excellent in the Championship, but needs upgrading in this league.  Also apparently he isn't happy to just be a squad player, so if we can sell for £17-£18m and upgrade for £20m or so I'd do it.  Keep the likes of Atsu as a willing squad player.

I think if stoke offered us £15m for atsu we’d sell him. Why would they though?

Not saying they are interested, but surely some club would take him for 7 or 8 million. I’d rather put that towards any move for another player rather than lose such a reliable player like Ritchie.

Murphy on the other hand was starting to show signs of things clicking, he could well go on to have a good season. I see him playing as a forward though. The lad can finish, has the pace to play off the shoulder of defenders.

Rafa will figure out what to do with him hopefully.

I think he has more potential than all of our current or linked with wingers with the exception of Kenedy.

Having a decent striker if we ever get one will take the pressure off our existing players. I’m hoping Rafa is trying to do things on the cheap now so that we can bid big for one proper striker.

This is the essence of squad building (something we haven't had experience of in the last 10 years so no wonder it seems alien); replacing the weakest/fringe members of a squad with replacements who ideally are better than the first choice option in that position. Pretty sure Rafa has pointed this out to those above him (Ashley) but its still not happening so we have to sell first teamers for a slight upgrade  :lol:

I don't think Rafa is just looking at their WhoScored pages though, I only mentioned the assists because you left them out for some reason. I think Townsend is a fairly blatant upgrade on Ritchie personally like, it seems fairly obvious Rafa agrees too.

I'm sure Rafa isn't using WhoScored pages - but I am not just basing my opinion on stats - I am basing it on the games I saw him play for us. He wasn't consistent enough for me, and imo isn't an upgrade on Richie - the opposite in fact I like Richie just think he didn't have the best of seasons. 

Throwing Atsu into this isn't the fucking point. Ritchie is a player who will fetch a good price who will likely not want to sit on the bench, hence why we're trying to sell him if price is right and replace with a younger and pacy winger.

Don't get me wrong, would rather we be a club who had the joy of being to have both Ritchie and a Townsend competing for the RM spot, but we're not that way under MA and Rafa will be ruthless if he feels its for the better of the cloob.

Because he played really well under him here 2 years ago

He was average at best.

He wasn't like. He was our best player under Rafa.

Scored a couple of games on the bounce nothing outstanding.  Not done much for Palace either.  He got 2 goals last season - 2 for an attacking midfielder that's poor.  Lascelles scored more.  They've Zaha to thank for staying up.

You're changing your arguement now though. You said he was average at best when he was here, he quite simply wasn't just average. Nowt to do with the last 2 seasons.

Ritchie has been great for us but if we're getting Townsend for £5m or even £10m more then I think it's a cracking deal! He's three years younger and a better player for me! I can't believe some don't think he was good for us when he was here! He was superb and almost single-handedly kept us up!

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Aye, Townsend is definitely an upgrade on Ritchie. Bit of revisionism going on about Richie's performances last season as well. I thought he struggled more than most pre-xmas, was culpable for us conceding a few goals (see Watford at home), but did play better in the second half of the season.

Townsend was class for the entirety of the 5 months we had him

We could realistically (ok, ok...) get Ki, Townsend & Plea for approx the same amount as Merino, Ritchie & Mitrovic. That’s one of the reasons I don’t get too strung up on ‘net spend’.

Then Rafa can spend his “budget” on Kenedy and strippers – perfect!  :D

We could realistically (ok, ok...) get Ki, Townsend & Plea for approx the same amount as Merino, Ritchie & Mitrovic. That’s one of the reasons I don’t get too strung up on ‘net spend’.

Whilst I think we still need obviously Kenedy and a RB to compete with Yedlin, if that happened I'd say that's a decent summer.

I am honestly surprised that a club would want to pay £15m for Ritchie. He's got a great attitude, but is obviously seriously limited as a wide man by his lack of pace. It's a good price IMO, I don't want to be in a position where we turn it down and then can't buy Townsend or Kenedy because we don't have the funds. They are both far more useful to us going forward.