Southend United 0-2 Newcastle United - FT

Guest neesy111

The likes of Joey Barton, Alan Smith, Danny Guthrie and Geremi pissed it last time, lads.

Geremi hardly played IIRC.

I liked Guthrie, but he was no better than Shelvey is. Should boss that league if his head is right.

Guthrie and Routledge (January onwards) were our main creative force arguably that season.

Shelvey is miles ahead of any of them. He's a good creative CM. Bagged 7 assists last season and that was supposedly his worst campaign to date. His key passes etc. are all solid too. He needs backup, aye, and whether he has a suitable partner remains to be seen.

Matt Ritchie to come in also, got double figure goals and assists last time he was in the Championship. We'll be reet man, plus we aren't done bringing players in

15 goals and 17 assists, nice. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I suppose the argument could be made that the league is a lot stronger than it was the last time we were down here. It's a bit of an unknown just like the last time, but Rafa alone has transformed my pessimistic thinking of us going down again or at least staying in the division, into thinking that we should be challenging at least.

At the moment Anita is pretty much our best player and should be the first name on the teamsheet given his ability and consistently high level of effort. He's intelligent and diligent and Rafa seems to trust him. Shelvey's supposed creativity is woefully limited. He can hit a well-weighted long pass if somebody has already made the right run. But he does nothing through clever movement or sharp and consistent short passing to conjure opportunities. And in that sense he's completely different to someone like Guthrie who had an excellent short passing game, and twisted and turned through the midfield despite his lack of physical qualities. Guthrie also played very well for us in the season we finished fifth.

Perhaps we could look for that one creative midfielder who will be able to switch defense swiftly into attack and conjure goals out of very little. Otherwise we need a coherent system that allows all of our front players a bit of space and time on the ball. Part of that for me lies in us having at least one attacking full-back. I like Dummett and think he should have a part to play this season, but as competition at centre-back. I certainly don't like the idea of him at left-back and Gamez at right-back. The wide midfielders need some support.

We've probably got the requisite quality to be Champions. My fear was that we didn't have the requisite mentality. Most of the worst offenders are gone/going and everyone we have brought in are leaders in their own fashion. Even captains of their former clubs/national sides. That bodes extremely well and with a couple more additions, plus Rafa, plus what seems like superb pre-season preparation, we should boss the league.

At the moment Anita is pretty much our best player and should be the first name on the teamsheet given his ability and consistently high level of effort. He's intelligent and diligent and Rafa seems to trust him. Shelvey's supposed creativity is woefully limited. He can hit a well-weighted long pass if somebody has already made the right run. But he does nothing through clever movement or sharp and consistent short passing to conjure opportunities. And in that sense he's completely different to someone like Guthrie who had an excellent short passing game, and twisted and turned through the midfield despite his lack of physical qualities. Guthrie also played very well for us in the season we finished fifth.

Perhaps we could look for that one creative midfielder who will be able to switch defense swiftly into attack and conjure goals out of very little. Otherwise we need a coherent system that allows all of our front players a bit of space and time on the ball. Part of that for me lies in us having at least one attacking full-back. I like Dummett and think he should have a part to play this season, but as competition at centre-back. I certainly don't like the idea of him at left-back and Gamez at right-back. The wide midfielders need some support.

That's where I stopped reading

Saivet can play that role too don't forget!

Is Saivet even getting a run out in these pre-season matches? I can't remember hearing his name mentioned.

My mate was at the Cambridge game last night and said he didn't think Villa were particularly impressive and that he doesn't think we have too much to worry about if they're one of our main contenders.