Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

Villa fan mate of mine:

Overall a good, "old fashioned" centre half. Committed, loves a tackle, and will always give 100%. However, he does have a mistake in him. Look at Ireland at the euros! Enjoys an own goal or 2 and does make mistakes. BUT he can be very good on his day

Meh.

So he's a younger Saylor. Great.

But without the constant injuries.

And a father bigging him up and a connection to the region/club he can leverage for special treatment.

Guest chopey

This probably means that Dummett will be regarded as a left back from here now on. I'm not a big fan of that.

It looks like Rafa has faith in young Sterry at left back and will use Dummet and Clark as cover

Just hope we're not signing Clark as Mbemba is one of the players still considering his future at the club. Fine as a fourth choice CB, especially given the shortages of defenders we've had in the recent past.

Aye. I mean I agree with people that Rafa's transfer record isn't perfect, but I trust him to have a quality functioning side come the start of the season, even if everyone is not a hit.

This for me. Keegan was the best at scouting a player in my lifetime, buying specific players at good prices to fit into his style of play. However, even he signed Mike  Jeffrey and Darron McDonough, to name a few…

In the same way that some posters say Mitrovic should be given a chance because he played in a shit team/under shit management last year, perhaps Clark has played a significant portion of his young career in a shit team/under shit management. Perhaps Rafa - a notoriously arduous scout and student of the game - sees attributes to Clark's game that make him a valuable addition for a promotion push and consolidation thereafter.

First transfer under Rafa that has really got me  :icon_scratch: really don't rate him.

I would like to hope he would just be a backup and at present, he would be 4th choice.  I'm not sure why he would leave Villa, where he plays fairly regularly (I think).  To come here and warm the bench? 

I think I'm just paranoid, as it has been the case so often under Ashley when we have a few players for a certain position.  But I really hope this doesn't mean Mbemba is off.  I still think Lascelles and Chancel, should be the first choice CB pairing.

I can see why he'd leave Villa for us.  A bigger stage, a world class manager, probably more money and a better chance of getting back into the PL at the first time of asking.  It's a long season so he knows he'll get a chance at some point and maybe he thinks he's good enough to prove he's worth a place in the starting XI.

This probably means that Dummett will be regarded as a left back from here now on. I'm not a big fan of that.

It looks like Rafa has faith in young Sterry at left back and will use Dummet and Clark as cover

But Sterry is right footed no? Either way not very inspiring but I'll give Clark a chance.

I think Dummett will be fine in the Championship though, he's not really good enough for the PL in either position to be quite honest.

Gamez might play LB yet.

At the training session yesterday they did a crossing drill, pretty standard stuff I'd imagine, but Gamez and Perez delivering from the right with Dummet and Ritchie from the left.