Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still so many teams within a few points behind us, just a couple of losses away from Norwich and Huddersfield running out of sight if they keep it up. Long run not too important, reckon we have more legs than the others but still would really like to have a bigger gap below us.

I think investment in January will be crucial if we've aspirations of running away with it so to speak. I think we bought well in the summer but weren't allowed to buy another Gayle/Ritchie/Shelvey level of player because of the Sissoko situation. We can get that player in January.

It's a looong time until january, and a lot can happen between now and then, both ways. If needed then we should strengthen of course. It could also be that we don't have to buy much/at all and keep our powder dry for next season when/if we get promoted and go for real quality.

Guest neesy111

We need some additions in January, like. Can't be having Colback and Gouffran regularly starting games in midfield. We're lacking a goalscorer hugely if Gayle gets injured, too.

Thought mitro was going to be that man. :bluestar:

Otherwise I agree.

I think investment in January will be crucial if we've aspirations of running away with it so to speak. I think we bought well in the summer but weren't allowed to buy another Gayle/Ritchie/Shelvey level of player because of the Sissoko situation. We can get that player in January.

I'd argue it was more to do with there's not many players of that level who want to drop down than the Sissoko situation tbh. Still think that will be the case in January, although i'm not particularly concerned as i believe we'll go up regardless.

We just need to improve mentally and get more efficient in front of goal which i think we will as the season progresses.

Not looking promising for Villa at the moment :lol:  (early days)

I honestly thought they'd be doing a lot better. 1 win in 11 games in the Championship so far. Weak.

One thing often gets glossed over is, they weren't just relegated last season, they were adrift at the bottom, their season was calmintous. There was a lot of rebuilding work to do there, and they chose the wrong man to do that kind of job.

A big problem they have is all the other teams see them as a big scalp, remeber they are the self proclaimed "biggest ever club to be relegated out of the PL", and like we saw today the smaller clubs riaise their games when they play them. They don't have the quality to overcome that.

I think they will be lookinging downwards rather than upwards this season, I predict a finish around 12th at best.

Guest neesy111

Not looking promising for Villa at the moment :lol:  (early days)

I honestly thought they'd be doing a lot better. 1 win in 11 games in the Championship so far. Weak.

One thing often gets glossed over is, they weren't just relegated last season, they were adrift at the bottom, their season was calmintous. There was a lot of rebuilding work to do there, and they chose the wrong man to do that kind of job.

A big problem they have is all the other teams see them as a big scalp, remeber they are the self proclaimed "biggest ever club to be relegated out of the PL", and like we saw today the smaller clubs riaise their games when they play them. They don't have the quality to overcome that.

I think they will be lookinging downwards rather than upwards this season, I predict a finish around 12th at best.

Keane had similar start with the mackems (not to this extent, but a similar rebuilding job), they still went up as champions.

Guest Howaythetoon

I fancied Villa to struggle, their demise has been greater than ours and they have an average manager and a poor squad still. We have a great manager and a decent squad for this level. In short we have had a head start in many ways.

Not looking promising for Villa at the moment [emoji38]  (early days)

Keane had similar start with the mackems (not to this extent, but a similar rebuilding job), they still went up as champions.

Didn't Keane start winning pretty much straight away after being appointed when Quinn did terribly?

22 points from 11 games is bang on course but we are only third, with a fair few good teams breathing down our neck. 90 points may not be good enough to secure promotion this year if this pace is kept up. if everyone kept the same points return per game we would finish 3rd on 92 points, that would be a record in the re branding of the league days.

Didn't Keane start winning pretty much straight away after being appointed when Quinn did terribly?

Yeah, they lost the first four games but picked up pretty much straight away when he arrived.

Guest neesy111

Yeah, they lost the first four games but picked up pretty much straight away when he arrived.

Hence why I said not to this extent, but they still were iffy (odd defeat here and there) IIRC till the New year and then went on a ridiculous winning run.

I honestly don't recall, you may be right, they did have an awful start to the season Keane ended up winning the division in. The one thing I would say though is Keane is more of a person you want rebuilding the Di Matteo. Keane I'm sure didn't suffer fools there, I'm not really sure what Di Matteo's qualities are as a manager but he did somehow win the CL !

Not a chance everyone else will keep it up, we're on course to be fine at the moment but just need to keep improving. Norwich I think will keep up and around the top, think Huddersfield will drop off possibly next year though. Their high press style always does well early in seasons then fitter and deeper squads than them get exhausted by Februaryish. Other teams will race up the table later. We have the squad to keep the pace going, things we need to be concerned about are our goal scoring, I think we aren't putting away as many chances as we are getting. Fitness of Shelvey is also important as don't think we have another creative central mid.

We have 14 games left to play this year (Championship) and we've played most of the teams at the top of the moment. Hopefully we can go up a gear or two and go on a long run or two and start pulling away. it wont be easy.

Fairly confident we'll go on a bit of a run now and take the lead before xmas. We've taken 25 of the last 30 points available and the fixture list looks quite favourable. Time to engage steamroller mode and grind teams into the dirt.