Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think we'all be fine. The first hour against Villa who have one of the strongest squads in the league and who have apparently dominated games, albeit failed to win many of them, was decent and we controlled it. We will have the odd bad day but we have pretty much a new squad so it's always going to take time. We have one of the best managers in the game.

Aye, it was disappointing not to put Villa to bed in that first half, considering the possesion and chances (and half chances) we had. But, I think I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating the chances, rather than just missing them.

Hopefully one or two players will be on extra shooting / one-on-one practice before the next match.

I'm still not getting too carried away or worried about our form yet. Unlike my Brighton supporting Boss who is suddenly full of it again, now they are back in the top 3. He'd been very quiet about their form since we beat them up here. He of all fans should know better than shouting too early about going up!

Its a long season in this league, and as long as we are thereabouts at Christmas, we can hopefully add any reinforcements needed in January, to push on for the 2nd half of the season.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think unless Rafa changes how he sets us up we will struggle to make it automatically. I've been actually quite disappointed with us this season and although I trust Rafa 100% I can't help but feel worried even at this early stage. Something just doesn't sit right.

The last two results and, ultimately, the performances have been disappointing and provided reason for concern, after it seemed like we were absolutely flying.

However, I'm of the opinion that it's just teething problems at the moment. The scale of the changes at the club are so vast that it isn't all going to tick straight away. The squad is an entirely different collection of players and I don't think you can expect wondrous performances immediately, with that scale of alteration, unless they truly are worlds above the competition. Which they're not. We've got 'one of' the best squads in the league that still has one or two holes in it. Fortunately, I look at the rest of the division and I don't see a squad or starting line-up that doesn't have similar holes/serious imbalances in quality.

If we win the league it'll be thanks to our spine. Lascelles/Mbemba + Shelvey/Hayden + a striker firing on all cylinders; there's few that'll match that. I do hope we invest in a winger in January, though. That was the spot that was always going to be the major hole, thanks in no small part to the Sissoko fiasco. In an ideal world, we'd have had more time and got someone close to Ritchie's standard but, instead, we took the chance on getting more money and ended up with a backup option in the form of Atsu on loan. I don't blame the club for taking that stance.

A. Teething problems; B. Lack of obvious top-of-the-table quality in one or two key areas*. That's why we're not top. From what I've seen, there's nothing inherently wrong with the way we prepare or play the games. The defeats are galling but you should keep in mind that we're well in the title race already - even in spite of losing three times.

*goalie, winger and maybe (but hopefully not) striker.

Guest Howaythetoon

Good post Yorkie and hard to argue with. I'm sure you're spot on and hopefully we will see that as the weeks turn into months and the season draws to a close where promotion is achieved hopefully. With this club though, one cannot help but worry.

The last two results and, ultimately, the performances have been disappointing and provided reason for concern, after it seemed like we were absolutely flying.

However, I'm of the opinion that it's just teething problems at the moment. The scale of the changes at the club are so vast that it isn't all going to tick straight away. The squad is an entirely different collection of players and I don't think you can expect wondrous performances immediately, with that scale of alteration, unless they truly are worlds above the competition. Which they're not. We've got 'one of' the best squads in the league that still has one or two holes in it. Fortunately, I look at the rest of the division and I don't see a squad or starting line-up that doesn't have similar holes/serious imbalances in quality.

If we win the league it'll be thanks to our spine. Lascelles/Mbemba + Shelvey/Hayden + a striker firing on all cylinders; there's few that'll match that. I do hope we invest in a winger in January, though. That was the spot that was always going to be the major hole, thanks in no small part to the Sissoko fiasco. In an ideal world, we'd have had more time and got someone close to Ritchie's standard but, instead, we took the chance on getting more money and ended up with a backup option in the form of Atsu on loan. I don't blame the club for taking that stance.

A. Teething problems; B. Lack of obvious top-of-the-table quality in one or two key areas*. That's why we're not top. From what I've seen, there's nothing inherently wrong with the way we prepare or play the games. The defeats are galling but you should keep in mind that we're well in the title race already - even in spite of losing three times.

We were crying out for a some creativity and we still are now in breaking down teams especially at home. I would say attacking midfielder is top of that list. Followed by someone who can finish chances

Fairly confident. Since those 2 opening games, we've done well on the whole. If only drawing away to Villa is causing panic, then are expectations are high, which is no bad thing in some ways. No doubt things are not as smooth as last time so far - we've already lost 3, but also let's not forget we went months during one period without getting an away win- it wasn't all 4-1s at Ipswich.

If we were way off the pace already, i'd be worried, but things are so tight now.

Fairly confident. Since those 2 opening games, we've done well on the whole. If only drawing away to Villa is causing panic, then are expectations are high, which is no bad thing in some ways. No doubt things are not as smooth as last time so far - we've already lost 3, but also let's not forget we went months during one period without getting an away win- it wasn't all 4-0s at Ipswich.

:pow:

We were crying out for a some creativity and we still are now in breaking down teams especially at home. I would say attacking midfielder is top of that list. Followed by someone who can finish chances

Fair shout. It's an either/or situation as far as I'm concerned. Two dangerous wingers instead of one, or one dangerous winger and one attacking playmaker, would ultimately have the same effect in this division.

Guest firetotheworks

Not gonna beat around the bush, I've gone from an 8 to a 4 after watching that. We're going nowhere on the last few performances, and fairly so.

Still not really panicked. We're very capable of putting a run together and 12 of our next 14 are against the bottom half sides (apparently). Performances have periods of excellence, it's just learning to keep it going. I think he'll have learnt from the last 2 games, tbh.

Teams will go through periods, like, and we will catch up.

Still not really panicked. We're very capable of putting a run together and 12 of our next 14 are against the bottom half sides (apparently). Performances have periods of excellence, it's just learning to keep it going. I think he'll have learnt from the last 2 games, tbh.

Teams will go through periods, like, and we will catch up.

Agreed.