Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Huddersfield Town - 13/08/16 - Post-match reaction from p24

Kaizero

Its a long season.. No need for hysterics yet.

Mitrovic will make the difference just like Nolan and Carroll did. In the meantime Rafa is learning a few home truths as to why we were relegated as there's still quite a few who just won't step up to be counted and probably never will.

A guy like Alan Smith for example.. Wouldn't have half the talent as a player like Shelvey yet he'd break his bollocks for his team and get in peoples faces.

There's no fear factor in the side.. Apart from when Mitrovic comes back.

Central midfield continues to be a huge problem.

What did we pay for Shelvey, about £14m? Based on what I've seen so far, he couldn't lace Danny Guthrie's f***ing boots.

Was he that bad today Wullie?

I've seen sod all of today, just going off what I've seen so far and heard about today.

Lives off a successful hollywood pass every once in a while, other than that does nothing but give the ball away and start fights with players of the oposition.

Very poor by all parties involved in our club. If we think or hope we will win or get 2nd in this league, we're going to have to basically do what nobody has done since we're last down there.

Need to make massive amount of signings too. Left back. Center. Attacker. Winger.

Guest firetotheworks

Shelvey couldn't cope with Fulham's midfield last week. I've seen nothing of today's game but if he did anything today no one seems to have noticed it.

I'm not a fan of Shelvey like, but that's not right. He came on and along with Ritchie, looked like the only one likely to do anything. Pointless disagreement though really, because as I said, I don't like him.

Shelvey couldn't cope with Fulham's midfield last week. I've seen nothing of today's game but if he did anything today no one seems to have noticed it.

I cannot remember this happening like.

Anyway I haven't seen a second of today's game but he just doesn't seem that good of a player like. I was happy with him coming into the side too but it doesn't sound like he did much. Not sure what we do at this point, play Diame and Hayden in the centre?

Guest singintheastand

What did we pay for Shelvey, about £14m? Based on what I've seen so far, he couldn't lace Danny Guthrie's f***ing boots.

I cannot remember this happening like.

Anyway I haven't seen a second of today's game but he just doesn't seem that good of a player like. I was happy with him coming into the side too but it doesn't sound like he did much. Not sure what we do at this point, play Diame and Hayden in the centre?

He committed two clumsy fouls almost immediately after coming on because the Fulham players were too quick for him.

Nobody who was there today could think Shelvey is the worst of our problems. Anita, Dummett and Hayden were atrocious. Vurn is an emergency right-back for me - nothing more.

Utter madness from Rafa to leave Ritchie on the bench, and we desperately miss Mitro's physicality and general attitude.

Thought it was fairly well established that Ritchie wasn't fit enough to start.

This, not sure why people are slating Rafa for not starting him. He's going to be one of the first names on the team sheet, he only didn't start because of his fitness.

Guest chopey

Just back from the match and it was very poor, Sels is crap, the defence looks very weak, we created nothing from midfield and Gayle is wasted up front with no support. We need to be either better at football or bigger and stronger than the teams in this division ..............sadly we are neither

dont know why folk are knocking Shelvey, he was by far the only player with ANY quality on the pitch

Aarons, ya not a footballer

Dummett, just fuck off

Hayden, fuck knows what you are

Diame, first impressions ...slow

Anita, playing out of position, whatever it is.

Lascelles , captain? not convinced

this is not a team, they are a bunch of strangers, out muscled by a well drilled football team.

worrying that Rafa couldn't change a thing, i said last week we'd struggle for top 6 and got mullered on here, well......Rafa does not convince me im afraid.

next up Reading, lose this and i'd just pack the fuk in hoping .................SHOCKINGLY SH1TE  :whatdidido:

If you look at the teamsheet for both games, we're pretty toothless. Teams don't fear us because there's nothing to fear there. The squad has little flair or pace. We only have 2 wingers in the whole squad and that's counting Aarons who's unproven. We also don't have a proven goalscorer.

If we don't bring in flair, pace, and proven goals then we won't go up. It's that simple because the current squad isn't good enough. We've signed a lot of defensive players but we're also currently on a profit from our player sales and haven't addressed the main issue.

We've got two weeks to sign some flair players and a goalscorer. Once we batter someone teams will approach us with a bit more fear. The next two weeks are crucial.

Just got back. Really poor first half, a lot better second (Ritchie made a big difference), very poor defending to concede the winner.

Dummett and Anita the obvious weak links for me, Diame struggled to get involved and Ayoze was really poor when he came on.

Our players really need to get used to the more lenient refereeing at this level - we seemed to lose nearly all the 50/50 challenges and sat waiting for free kicks that weren't given. Mitro coming back should make a big difference, nothing was sticking up front today.

dont know why folk are knocking Shelvey, he was by far the only player with ANY quality on the pitch

Aarons, ya not a footballer

Dummett, just f*** off

Hayden, f*** knows what you are

Diame, first impressions ...slow

Anita, playing out of position, whatever it is.

Lascelles , captain? not convinced

this is not a team, they are a bunch of strangers, out muscled by a well drilled football team.

worrying that Rafa couldn't change a thing, i said last week we'd struggle for top 6 and got mullered on here, well......Rafa does not convince me im afraid.

next up Reading, lose this and i'd just pack the fuk in hoping .................SHOCKINGLY SH1TE  :whatdidido:

agree the hype around aarons is ridiculous.  a couple of flashy cameos over past 2 or 3 years and he's the next big thing.

Benitez;

"Players need to be more confident, against teams that play on the counter as St James. Players look nervous after having looked good in training. The team have to do better - second half was better, but still not enough. He shares the responsibility with the players for the defeat and the need to do better. Players are still gelling, but it's no excuse. Need to show more character. Players have to work harder and better"

"We weren't expecting this kind of performance, we knew Huddersfield would be difficult to break down but we didn't play at the level we wanted to. We improved a lot in the second half but it's really disappointing.

"I've seen the team doing well in training but we have to show the same things in the match the quality the personality and the character. We've not seen that today.

“We made too many mistakes and we need to show that character and quality to improve things. The players on the pitch they were trying they are good players. The players can do much better but we didn't play at the level we were expecting. The only positive today was the fans, they were behind the players.”