Dalian Atkinson (1968-2016)

Tsunami

13 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Where do we stand on Stone cold stunners? 

Aye or nay?

Only if two cans of pissy beer are shotgunned prior to the self defence move.

18 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Can't believe that's had to be spelled out, or that this is still going on ffs. :lol: 

At least we've discovered that Fantail Breeze wasn't a detective.

2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s worth noting the aim is rarely to ‘shoot someone dead’ but they are trained to use the minimum force required to achieve the objective. In this example, they’d probably shoot them in the arm to disarm them.

The rare situation where people are purposely shot dead is usually terror related where it’s believed they may have a device.

I think you’ve been watching too much TV. Every use of force has to be justified.

As I’ve said, it’s very different when we’re talking about a trained police officer and member of the public. It’d be easier to justify for a member of the public. You and ED are getting the two entwined and confused.

It’s also worth noting that what you have stated is absolutely incorrect. Firearms officers are trained to shoot for the centre mass, being the largest target, and so is often the chest, but can also be whatever else is available including the head. NO training is given to ‘shoot to disable’ by aiming for an arm, leg, wrist or ankle. FFS. They ARE trained to use minimum force, yes, but by taking a shot as a last resort, that shot is more than likely going to result in a death. Much like each kick to a head, every shot fired will have to be justified, proportionate, necessary, accountable and legal. Two kicks to the head in the eyes of a layperson sounds outrageous, and quite possibly this will be borne out in court, resulting in a subsequent conviction - but until the facts of the matter are fully revealed as ED209 says, no one here can judge what happened. Certainly not by an alleged ex police officer who obviously doesn’t know the law, let alone the facts of the incident in question. 

anyway….RIP Dalian. He was a class player back in the day, and I’m sorry to hear of his struggles after retirement, leading to his death. 

1 hour ago, The Janitor said:

Fantail Breeze seems like a huge loss to the force based on all of this. Why did you have to spill the beans, man, IP? :lol:

:lol: I'd read it too many times and could no longer handle it.

4 hours ago, ED209 said:

To be fair there is only you saying I am wrong.

Of course I am going to rugby tackle a man with a knife and risk me getting stabbed as well when the kick to the head would be far safer and far more likely to swiftly end the situation.

I can’t give you a court example of a kick to the head being found by a court to be lawful probably because an example like I have given would never make it to court in the first place because there is no prospect of a conviction. 

Have a read of Palmer vs R 1971. 

bit odd you lad, can't work out whether you're the most naive moron ever to draw breath or you're just really in to men in uniforms.

7 minutes ago, ilovecranestraps said:

bit odd you lad, can't work out whether you're the most naive moron ever to draw breath or you're just really in to men in uniforms.

What a weird fucking loner you must be. Go out and find some people to speak to. 

The clip of creating an account to have a go at someone on an internet forum, man. Christ.

I have no idea what happened in this case but people who hate the police as a rule are weird. The rare time I come across a police officer they are sound but then again, I'm not a criminal.

By in large, the police in this country are very good. Of course, there is the odd dick head, perhaps even the odd group of dickheads but we don't have a culture of bad police officers.

Thankfully, we have moved away from the thatchers whipping boys days. Now your average police officer is just your average person.

This bit is from the BBC, looks like the defence would probably have a reasonable argument that the cops didn’t cause Atkinson to die with their actions. 

All three of the prosecution's medical experts, the court heard, agreed that while Mr Atkinson's enlarged heart meant that he could have died at any time, the prolonged period of Tasering and the kicks to his head made a "significant contribution" to his death.”