DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

Your simplistic analysis fails to take account of some of the most important parts of football. Yedlin's allround contribution to the team was good, Villa were scared shitless of him and it allowed our central midfield a lot more time and space on the ball in the first half. For all he gave the ball away cheaply a few too many times he didn't put us in serious danger and they didn't really create anything down that side until he went off. His overall contribution to the team was a lot more than the bollocks stats posted above. We went to pieces when we went off - Hayden is no right back and we then also lacked composure in the middle.

Few sloppy moment but overall a very positive first league start, hopefully he isn't out for too long. Looking forward to seeing more from him and him improving his awareness on the ball in defensive situation.

Your comment above about finally making a tackle sums you up. Good defenders shouldn't need to tackle.

FWIW I pretty much agree with you Greg, apart from the bold bits. If his sloppiness had put us in serious danger, then I wouldn't have had to commit the cardinal sin of N-O (though shalt not disagree with the vocal minority). I do think he was an accident waiting to happen. It didn't happen. I can see he has a lot of strengths, but I do also find him slightly comical (he will forever be Cat from Red Dwarf to me, just can't 'unsee' it). Hoping he isn't another Bramble type (occasional glimpses of world-beating potential, mainly hidden under the bushel of being a error-generating liability). Will be as delighted as anyone if he proves an asset to the team and 'owns'  the right side of the pitch ("That's mine. That's mine."). Just have a bad feeling about him.

There are always excuses for new players coming into a side, if they don't particularly have a good game it could be down to not knowing his new team mates, not being match fit, pressure, nerves etc etc. With all that in mind I thought he was excellent, not only going forward but defensively too, the aerial challenge at the back post that saw him need treatment, a few of our previous fullbacks that would of been a free header.

Hope he's fit for Wedneday like

This. Really put himself about. Finally a full back who looks like he gives a shit.

• 1 month later...

Was Yedlin targeted directly or just some random nobhead launching his bus money at the pitch? Can't imagine him particularly as an abrasive character mithering the crowd.

Judging by what they've written on their forum, it was because he went off the pitch with a knock to the head and came back on it rather than staying off. So they threw coins at him for "wasting time".

• 2 weeks later...