DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

I loathe the argument that Yedlin has only made it this far because he’s fast. That thinking devalues speed as an attribute and suggests any fast fucker could play PL football. Obertan should be evidence enough that it’s a laughable statement.

Never stopped running today, gave us an option every time. The quality isn't there but he's a good lad

Those are contradictory sentences.

No they aren't

They are, but carry on.

How are they contradictory? He's really fit and fast and great at giving an option for a pass but his quality on the ball lets him down

I loathe the argument that Yedlin has only made it this far because he’s fast. That thinking devalues speed as an attribute and suggests any fast f***er could play PL football. Obertan should be evidence enough that it’s a laughable statement.

He has only made it this far because of his pace.  Since speed is an important attribute.  But his other attributes, whilst clearly not good by Prem standards, are enough for him to play at the standard.  Not rocket science.

Never stopped running today, gave us an option every time. The quality isn't there but he's a good lad

No they aren't

They are, but carry on.

How are they contradictory? He's really fit and fast and great at giving an option for a pass but his quality on the ball lets him down

If he were just running up and down the touchline like a lunatic all match, I’d agree. He uses his speed well to get into good positions, or drag a defender with him...it’s definitely an area of his game that he’s improved upon and a valuable quality. Feel like he was getting caught off a lot his first season or two, much less so now.

No they aren't

They are, but carry on.

If he were just running up and down the touchline like a lunatic all match, I’d agree. He uses his speed well to get into good positions, or drag a defender with him...it’s definitely an area of his game that he’s improved upon and a valuable quality. Feel like he was getting caught off a lot his first season or two, much less so now.

I agree with all of that, I was talking about his quality on the ball

No they aren't

They are, but carry on.

Really? I feel like he still often gets caught out ball watching

when he's on the back post and teams know this is a weakness.

Think I've said for a while that his pace is a huge asset for us but if he had any ability on the ball he'd be playing for a much better team than us as he wastes so many good opportunities. Although like I said he wouldn't have been there in the first place if it wasn't for his athleticism.

Ideally you'd like to upgrade him but you know that's not a possibility so make do I suppose.

He's only a defender because his pace allows him to cover and recover from many different situations. He's not a particularly good defender and has more bad games (defensively) than good. He could never be a winger because he's so poor on the ball. His delivery is especially lacking at this (or any) level.

He definitely has an idea of how to play the attacking full-back role and sometimes can be really good at it but if he could only cross a ball he would be far more valuable. Can't believe a professional with his pace still has absolutely no idea how to beat a man and put in a decent cross.

We know he's fast but a couple of times yesterday he went on overlapping runs and his pace was just breathtaking.

There can hardly be anyone faster than him in the league.

Just wish sometimes when his pace opens things up for him he would go direct and have a shot because he normally drives on to the bye line looking for a pull back by which time defenders are covering.

He isnt a very good crosser of the ball but there have been plenty of times that he has had a cutback totally fluffed by an attacker or midfielder. Atleast 10-15 times on cutbacks alone. Ive always said this about Yedlin, he plays up or down to the standard around him. Its best when he is the weaker link in a side cause he cant nor should be relied upon at this level. Im guessing his contract situation is coming up soon and maybe there would be takers abroad (I say this as someone who has watched him since high school in the Seattle area). He wouldnt be a bad backup if there is ever new ownership and he definitely is someone who atleast cares enough to give it his level best. I mean I think he has started 49 of the last 51, while some of that is because the lack of other viable options-its obvious that Rafa trusts him.

Also when playing RWB and allowed to venture forward more often he does, at the very least offer width, which creates space for others. Its not on him specifically that the class isnt there for other players to do something with that space more often. Just a thought but presumably if there were better threats up top, that width he creates and attention he demands from wide players defensively would be much more valuable a commodity in the side.

Ive said all along that he limited himself by not focusing on the sport till very late nevertheless the hamstringing of growing up in the US system which is lacking immensely in technical nuance across the board. Had he had a proper football upbringing like many are afforded in Europe, the sky would have been the limit for him given his athleticism. Unfortunately for himself it is what it is, and he has had plenty of hardships in his life that he overcame. Still long term he has value to the club in a myriad of ways even if he maintains a starting role as long as the rest of the side improves around him and I see plenty of places that probably need focus more so than spending decent money by our standards to replace him. I get the complaints though and dont have really any argument against someone saying, we need to upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...