Rate Our Summer Transfer Window

Lush Vlad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rafa himself said that we've tried for a few players that he really wanted but got turned down because we're not in the PL right now. Don't think things are quite as easy as some of us might think (me included) sometimes. Yeah players Like Hanley, Murphy and Clark aren't very exciting but they will mostly be backup. Not sure what we could have attracted instead of them, also OK with being backup players. And we probably can't attract top quality that are better than Mbemba, and maybe even Lascelles if you judge him by how he did last season. Another quality winger would have been nice but I can't complain too much. Interested to see what Atsu can do, hope he will be very good.

I am delighted with our business. We got £62m for three Cunts that would never have performed well in this league because they don't have the heart.

We kept all our good players.

Signing Ritchie and Gayle in this division is the equivalent of if we were in the Prem and had signed exciting  players from Juventus or Dortmund.

Clark, Hanley and Murphy are not exciting but they are here as backup when they would be a starter for clubs elsewhere in the division.

Then we have the most important signing of all, Rafa Benitez.

One disappointment, I personally would have preferred if Krul had stayed.

Some of the signings were eye wateringly underwhelming, but I'm pretty pleased.

Pleased primarily because all those I wanted to stay, Mbemba, Lascelles, Perez, Mitrovic, Aarons and Woodman have all stayed.

This pleases me greatly.

Chuffed in fact.

I'd say 8/10 for now, with the potential for a higher score depending on how circumstances break.

Of the new signings:

Diame, Ritchie and Gayle would not look out of place in the PL. I have a suspicion that Hayden is a PL-quality player in the making as well, but evidence is limited. On his reputation and club career, in theory Gamez would be competent in the PL, but I don't know enough.

Selz, Yedlin, Lazaar and Atsu all have the potential to be PL-quality players given playing time. Further comment is necessarily reserved to judge on their performances.

Hanley, Clark and Murphy appear to be Championship-quality, but - as has been acknowledged all along - the Championship is a squad exercise, bearing in mind the frequency of the games and the physicality of the league, so I am not sure why people are disappointed/underwhelmed/surprised. Personally I always felt we would - and frankly should - have made a few signings of this ilk just for the numbers. For years we have been woefully short on squad depth and Rafa said early on that he'd need to address this.

Of the outgoings:

Cabella, Thauvin, Riviere and Saivet were failed products of an extremely flawed and rigid transfer policy, and were not fit for purpose/did not want to be here. I don't consider the loss of them to have any negative impact on the team/club/squad whatsoever.

Coloccini, Taylor, Cisse (and, if he somehow goes, Tiote) are all well past their sell-by date. None were fit for PL duty for- and this is being kind - the last 2 seasons at least. I don't think any of them would have fared any better in the Championship, because they would have continued to decline in my opinion. Taylor's heart might have been in it if we offered for him to stay, but aside from being crap he's also extremely injury-prone. The rest would never have wanted to be there.

Armstong, Sterry, Mbabu and Toney - all of these young players have potential, but need some proper experience and game time to develop. It appears that our manager (who is basically the second coming at this point) did not believe they were ready for that yet at this level/in this environment/with promotion being imperative, so they are being loaned out in order to potentially benefit us in the future/examine over a longer period of time whether they're fit for task. It can only be a positive for us in that respect, unless we have a severe injury crisis (in which case, for all we know, we would be able to recall from from said loan). Mbabu is the slight question mark because he looked decent when he played last year, but it was an extremely small window and he also needs to prove that he can stay fit over the course of a year - to be out injured as frequently as he is at his age is arguably alarming.

De Jong/Krul - As mentioned above, the physicality of the league and frequency of the games mean we don't really want to be carrying permacrocks. De Jong may well have bossed this division because he is supposedly a very adept player, but he's been unfit the whole time he's been here. Seeing if he can prove that fitness, while maintaining his contractual status with us, means we can keep an eye on him to see if he can actually get himself in shape without having to rely on him. It's an intelligent use of the loan system. Krul would have been good at this level, but, again, he has had recurring injury problems. Let him prove his fitness and then we can make a decision as to our long-term number 1.  You need a consistent, reliable and ever-present first choice keeper in the league in an ideal world, and his fitness issues meant he was unlikely to be it. We have three able keepers without him anyhow, so get his wages (partly at least) off the books and again, we can monitor his rehab. After years of injury mismanagement, I don't see how people can't see that this strategy - long-term, no-pressure rehab - is a great idea.

Obertan - s***.

Marveaux - looked talented in fits and starts, but again had injury issues and rumoured to have poor attitude. When I saw him I personally rated him, but he's done nothing on loan/elsewhere that makes me think he'd be a difference-maker at this level. Probably thoroughly disaffected after 3/4 years here anyhow and likely wanted out, too much of a risk to keep around in the circumstances (of must-gain promotion).

Sammy, Vuckic, Bigirimana - would have outright sold the first 2 as well, none are good enough. Bigirimana gets some sympathy because he had the potential and got poorly treated under Pardew, but the club needs to move forward and not ponder what ifs/consider the last chance saloon anymore. No loss to the club.

The final four, unless you are just being spiteful, all would have been good at this level and helped us achieve promotion, unless their attitude was so poor that it rendered their inclusion pointless (which may have been the case, who knows what has been said behind the scenes).

Townsend - gets a free pass from me. Put in the required effort last year, scored some useful goals and provided some useful assists. However, he joined us as a product of our circumstances (desperation, near relegation) and protected himself in case it happened. Loses a few points because his decision is potentially short-sighted when you consider the Rafa vs Pardew, but (because England are s***) the guy has England prospects and it was his decision. He made it. Ritchie's just as good, if different. Thanks for your effort, we move on.

Janmaat - I actually would have kept him around, rated him. He dipped last year but I think it was mental and based on a realisation that we were a nothing club with no ambition at that stage. Then again, he is prone to lapses defensively and more offensively minded; the fact that Rafa allowed him to walk for a very modest fee (in this summer's terms) suggests that he doesn't rate him very highly. It's to early to say whether Yedlin can fill his shoes, but Anita has been pretty good at RB since the back end of last season in my opinion.

Wijnaldum - being realistic, he is too talented for the Championship. Yes he went missing too many times, yes he doesn't seem able to grasp a game by the scruff of a neck and influence it outright. I actually think he's a "7 a side player". We received a very inflated fee for his contributions. He gets a free pass in my mind because he may well have been much, much more influential under competent management and in non-toxic surroundings; there's clearly a decent player (and, in my opinion, bloke) in there somewhere. However, if he's just as anonymous at Liverpool, then we're probably well shot. Never expected him to stay but a bit gutted nonetheless.

Sissoko -  30m for him is daylight robbery. He's a very limited footballer. He can be a role player on a team that needs a powerful, athletic flat-track bully, but I think he only "shone" in our side because we had very, very few good players over the last three years. I think he'll be a complete waste of money flop at Spurs because he's thick as mince. Again, mitigating circumstances due to incompetent coaching and toxic environment, but I've seen enough to conclude that he's not that great a player. Had he stayed and actually wanted to contribute, then he likely would have been useful at this level; but in an age of player power, over-hype of athleticism over footballing talent and offering our club as a stepping stone, there was no purpose of him staying. Team spirit is an important thing, especially at this level, and he likely would not have been a positive contributor on that front. It's largely a positive, but with a twinge of regret because had we been a proper club, he could well have been a very useful player (we won't ever know, realistically).

Overall:

Based on the above, anybody who is complaining needs a reality check. It's as good as it could have been in the circumstances, and we've banked enough to buy insurance policies if we need them in January and, I reckon, given ourselves financial flexibility to re-establish ourselves as a PL entity if we go back up. I expected Rafa to execute the window to an identifiable and sensible plan, and that's what he's done.

I'd say 8/10 for now, with the potential for a higher score depending on how circumstances break.

Of the new signings:

Diame, Ritchie and Gayle would not look out of place in the PL. I have a suspicion that Hayden is a PL-quality player in the making as well, but evidence is limited. On his reputation and club career, in theory Gamez would be competent in the PL, but I don't know enough.

Selz, Yedlin, Lazaar and Atsu all have the potential to be PL-quality players given playing time. Further comment is necessarily reserved to judge on their performances.

Hanley, Clark and Murphy appear to be Championship-quality, but - as has been acknowledged all along - the Championship is a squad exercise, bearing in mind the frequency of the games and the physicality of the league, so I am not sure why people are disappointed/underwhelmed/surprised. Personally I always felt we would - and frankly should - have made a few signings of this ilk just for the numbers. For years we have been woefully short on squad depth and Rafa said early on that he'd need to address this.

Of the outgoings:

Cabella, Thauvin, Riviere and Saivet were failed products of an extremely flawed and rigid transfer policy, and were not fit for purpose/did not want to be here. I don't consider the loss of them to have any negative impact on the team/club/squad whatsoever.

Coloccini, Taylor, Cisse (and, if he somehow goes, Tiote) are all well past their sell-by date. None were fit for PL duty for- and this is being kind - the last 2 seasons at least. I don't think any of them would have fared any better in the Championship, because they would have continued to decline in my opinion. Taylor's heart might have been in it if we offered for him to stay, but aside from being crap he's also extremely injury-prone. The rest would never have wanted to be there.

Armstong, Sterry, Mbabu and Toney - all of these young players have potential, but need some proper experience and game time to develop. It appears that our manager (who is basically the second coming at this point) did not believe they were ready for that yet at this level/in this environment/with promotion being imperative, so they are being loaned out in order to potentially benefit us in the future/examine over a longer period of time whether they're fit for task. It can only be a positive for us in that respect, unless we have a severe injury crisis (in which case, for all we know, we would be able to recall from from said loan). Mbabu is the slight question mark because he looked decent when he played last year, but it was an extremely small window and he also needs to prove that he can stay fit over the course of a year - to be out injured as frequently as he is at his age is arguably alarming.

De Jong/Krul - As mentioned above, the physicality of the league and frequency of the games mean we don't really want to be carrying permacrocks. De Jong may well have bossed this division because he is supposedly a very adept player, but he's been unfit the whole time he's been here. Seeing if he can prove that fitness, while maintaining his contractual status with us, means we can keep an eye on him to see if he can actually get himself in shape without having to rely on him. It's an intelligent use of the loan system. Krul would have been good at this level, but, again, he has had recurring injury problems. Let him prove his fitness and then we can make a decision as to our long-term number 1.  You need a consistent, reliable and ever-present first choice keeper in the league in an ideal world, and his fitness issues meant he was unlikely to be it. We have three able keepers without him anyhow, so get his wages (partly at least) off the books and again, we can monitor his rehab. After years of injury mismanagement, I don't see how people can't see that this strategy - long-term, no-pressure rehab - is a great idea.

Obertan - s***.

Marveaux - looked talented in fits and starts, but again had injury issues and rumoured to have poor attitude. When I saw him I personally rated him, but he's done nothing on loan/elsewhere that makes me think he'd be a difference-maker at this level. Probably thoroughly disaffected after 3/4 years here anyhow and likely wanted out, too much of a risk to keep around in the circumstances (of must-gain promotion).

Sammy, Vuckic, Bigirimana - would have outright sold the first 2 as well, none are good enough. Bigirimana gets some sympathy because he had the potential and got poorly treated under Pardew, but the club needs to move forward and not ponder what ifs/consider the last chance saloon anymore. No loss to the club.

The final four, unless you are just being spiteful, all would have been good at this level and helped us achieve promotion, unless their attitude was so poor that it rendered their inclusion pointless (which may have been the case, who knows what has been said behind the scenes).

Townsend - gets a free pass from me. Put in the required effort last year, scored some useful goals and provided some useful assists. However, he joined us as a product of our circumstances (desperation, near relegation) and protected himself in case it happened. Loses a few points because his decision is potentially short-sighted when you consider the Rafa vs Pardew, but (because England are s***) the guy has England prospects and it was his decision. He made it. Ritchie's just as good, if different. Thanks for your effort, we move on.

Janmaat - I actually would have kept him around, rated him. He dipped last year but I think it was mental and based on a realisation that we were a nothing club with no ambition at that stage. Then again, he is prone to lapses defensively and more offensively minded; the fact that Rafa allowed him to walk for a very modest fee (in this summer's terms) suggests that he doesn't rate him very highly. It's to early to say whether Yedlin can fill his shoes, but Anita has been pretty good at RB since the back end of last season in my opinion.

Wijnaldum - being realistic, he is too talented for the Championship. Yes he went missing too many times, yes he doesn't seem able to grasp a game by the scruff of a neck and influence it outright. I actually think he's a "7 a side player". We received a very inflated fee for his contributions. He gets a free pass in my mind because he may well have been much, much more influential under competent management and in non-toxic surroundings; there's clearly a decent player (and, in my opinion, bloke) in there somewhere. However, if he's just as anonymous at Liverpool, then we're probably well shot. Never expected him to stay but a bit gutted nonetheless.

Sissoko -  30m for him is daylight robbery. He's a very limited footballer. He can be a role player on a team that needs a powerful, athletic flat-track bully, but I think he only "shone" in our side because we had very, very few good players over the last three years. I think he'll be a complete waste of money flop at Spurs because he's thick as mince. Again, mitigating circumstances due to incompetent coaching and toxic environment, but I've seen enough to conclude that he's not that great a player. Had he stayed and actually wanted to contribute, then he likely would have been useful at this level; but in an age of player power, over-hype of athleticism over footballing talent and offering our club as a stepping stone, there was no purpose of him staying. Team spirit is an important thing, especially at this level, and he likely would not have been a positive contributor on that front. It's largely a positive, but with a twinge of regret because had we been a proper club, he could well have been a very useful player (we won't ever know, realistically).

Overall:

Based on the above, anybody who is complaining needs a reality check. It's as good as it could have been in the circumstances, and we've banked enough to buy insurance policies if we need them in January and, I reckon, given ourselves financial flexibility to re-establish ourselves as a PL entity if we go back up. I expected Rafa to execute the window to an identifiable and sensible plan, and that's what he's done.

:thup:

Of the new signings:

Of the outgoings:

Obertan - s***.

Overall:

Great post :thup:

Good window. 7.5/10. Did what was needed, wished we were able to secure another CM, Winger and better striker than Murphy but I'm happy overall and look forward to hopefully more of the last few matches and getting back to the PL. I expect we will make some January moves should we need to secure our place or kick up the table a little more.

Let's get this break over and back to enjoying football!

Solid 8/10, a bit of extra Gayle/Ritchie level quality late in the window would have been canny.  But how we function as a team is far more important than looking at individual names.  I was convinced at the start of the season we are going to have the best defensive record in the league, we'll see lots of 1-0, 2-0 wins imo.  The Brighton performance was a good insight on how we are going to control games this season and we should get much better at doing it. 

Pretty happy really. I would have liked a bit more proven quality in the forward positions, but what we lack in pedigree I think we are going to make up with team ethic and winner mentality. The squad looks solid, and with us shipping out unhappy players we are left with a hungry bunch who will win promotion no question.

6.5/10

As many have said, Diame, Gayle & Ritchie are the standouts who will comfortably fit in with our squad if we do go up.

Hayden, Gamez, Lazaar, Atsu, Yedlin and Sels are all more than capable at this level going off their performances/reputations and i'd be hopeful that the majority, if not all, could make the step up if we gain promotion.

I remain unconvinced by Hanley as a whole going off the rep that he came in with BUT i dont think he's really done much wrong in the appearances he has made for us so far. Could be decent backup to Lascelles, Mbemba and another CB in the PL.

Clark looks to be another fistpumps who dives into anything that is even remotely close to him without a 2nd thought. Don't believe he will be of any use to us in the long term.

Murphy is a complete shambles of a player. May make the odd appearance and nick a goal or 2 but he should be binned as soon as/if we go up.

Shame we couldn't get another winger in and a CM, as well as a better backup target man instead of Murphy but overall satisfied with what we've done.

So cover wise

Keeper

Sels, Darlow, Woodman, Elliot

Right Back

Yedlin, Anita, Mbemba, *Hayden?, Gamez

Left Back

Dummet, Haidara, Lazaar, Clark, Gamez

Centre Back

Mbemba, Lascelles, Clark, Hanley, Dummet, *Hayden

Right Mid

Ritchie, Yedlin, Perez

Left Mid

Atsu, Aarons, Gouffran, Perez

Centre Mid

Shelvey, Hayden, Diame, *Tiote, Colback (lol)

Forward

Gayle, Mitro, Murphy, Perez, *Gouffran

It does look pretty strong in terms of options for this level at least and a lot stronger/better balanced than last season. Ritchie, Diame, Shelvey, Hayden, Mbemba and Lascelles have to start as many as possible with one of Gayle/Mitro probably.

Think we could have done with another centre midfielder but first choice is looking good and could see Rafa adjusting styles if we had to put others in the centre.

Murphy is a complete shambles of a player. May make the odd appearance and nick a goal or 2 but he should be binned as soon as/if we go up.

Tut, tut, binned.

Whatever he is, he has a part to play this season and if/when he leaves the club should be thanked for his services.

His experience of this division can only benefit the development of Mitro, so I'm not going to judge him on just what I see on the pitch.

I think people need to get their heads around signings like Hanley and Murphy. They are there to do one job only, give us squad depth and get us promoted. We'll be moving a lot of players on next season if we go up, and we'll be able to say to them 'job well done' on their way out.

We only have 2 other strikers, so I can see why people are worried about Murphy given his age like. I think (hope) he'll be fine but we needed another proven striker in on top of him imo.

We only play with one striker though, don't think we could have got much better in as a third choice who will be on the bench most of the time.