Cup win or promotion?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We don't get promoted this year or next we're not winning s*** for ages because I imagine Rafa departs and I'm not really sure what happens after that. Getting out of the championship the first time is absolutely crucial to this club's future and that includes Rafa's vision for the club.

Why would Rafa be so much more likely to depart us if we won the fa cup and narrowly lost a playoff final than if we were promoted? Surely he'd stick around an extra year in this hypothetical?

Oh he might indeed want to but I expect he and his entourage would be shipped out regardless as the finances require further tightening for a 2nd year down a league.

What's so special about the FA cup over the league cup like?

100 years of history...

The fact that most European leagues don't have a LC makes it look (at least to us in the continent) as a bit of a made-up tin pot trophy.

Most other Europeanleagues don't have a FA Cup. They have a league cup (teams in the professional League pyramid). Is that right?

100 years of history...

The fact that most European leagues don't have a LC makes it look (at least to us in the continent) as a bit of a made-up tin pot trophy.

Most other Europeanleagues don't have a FA Cup. They have a league cup (teams in the professional League pyramid). Is that right?

Got a point there, that's something I have always liked about the FA Cup. Well, it's true in the case of Spain, not sure about other countries.

Our short-lived league cup was only contested by La Liga teams.

100 years of history...

Neither does the champions league. At the end of the day it's much needed silverware that featured teams at the apparent elite of the game. To me the FA cup seems no different these days other than offering a giant killing day out.

What are people expecting if/when we get promoted? Genuine question like. I think the best we can really hope for in the medium term is 5th or 6th and I'd trade that for the FA Cup any day

I just like supporting Newcastle when we're not a total joke. That's all I want really.

Winning a cup won't change that, being back in the Premiership with a proper manager in charge could, and trophies could hopefully come afterwards. And with regards to trophies, unless you win the Premiership or the Champions League nobody else gives a shit (and I know we like to pretend that doesn't matter, but it really does).

The cups will be better if they had a way into the Champions League, maybe the Community Shirld should be made into a League Cup vs FA Cup playoff.

So not to devalue the league 3rd vs 4th could also playoff. Maybe this could be the lucrative foreign-played game the Premier League have long wanted.

Getting promoted this season with Rafa at the helm in the Prem is far more imperative than winning a cup this season. In so much as it would put us in a position to possibly win multiple cups in the near future rather than just one now and then waiting another 50+ years for the next. The long term viability of the club is always paramount over a random cup win.

Getting promoted this season with Rafa at the helm in the Prem is far more imperative than winning a cup this season. In so much as it would put us in a position to possibly win multiple cups in the near future rather than just one now and then waiting another 50+ years for the next. The long term viability of the club is always paramount over a random cup win.

It wouldn't put us in a position to win 'multiple cups in the near future' at all tbf. We'd be a newly promoted club, with a quality manager, still absolutely light years behind the big 6 teams in the country. Unless by near future you mean century. This is before factoring in that we are NUFC, and an unmitigated disaster is always around the corner.

Feel as if I'm arguing against promotion here :lol: I know we'll be promoted and it will be great.

It would put us in a position to win 'multiple cups in the near future' at all tbf. We'd be a newly promoted club, with a quality manager, still absolutely light years behind the big 6 teams in the country. Unless by near future you mean century. This is before factoring in that we are NUFC, and an unmitigated disaster is always around the corner.

Feel as if I'm arguing against promotion here :lol: I know we'll be promoted and it will be great.

The original debate is between Promotion or Cup Win, not both. We'd all love both. But in the short term, with a view towards the long term, promotion is more important this season than a cup win.