Newcastle United vs Birmingham City - 10/12/16 @ 15:00 - No TV

It absolutely has to stop. Wallsendmag is bang on and it needs someone with a bit of power to come out and say something like that. Unfortunately it'll not happen because if you display anything close to a sensible opinion in opposition to grief junkies then you're at a high risk of being labelled a monster who disrespects the dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_sickness

It absolutely has to stop. Wallsendmag is bang on and it needs someone with a bit of power to come out and say something like that. Unfortunately it'll not happen because if you display anything close to a sensible opinion in opposition to grief junkies then you're at a high risk of being labelled a monster who disrespects the dead.

The thing is though if people want to do it, no one is getting harmed? It makes me think of the guys who lost there lives when I hear it which isn't a bad thing

The 17th minute clap has to stop.  People need to move on, if people didn't then the whole world would just be grief all the time.  Do it once a season or something.

It's ebbing away anyway, fewer people are doing it game by game and I couldn't really give a toss if people want to do it or not.

Could it not be solved thus?

1. Clap if you want

2. Don't clap if you don't want

3. Don't get angry at people who take the opposite action and carry on supporting the team.

Onto the game, I'm eagerly looking forward to watching the referee. The one against Blackburn was crap and the one against Forest was in the Ali Dia school of con-men/incompetence. You'd think that the referee put forward will be one of the best in the division / under stern instructions to not fuck it up.

Just want things to return to normal with a routine win and put that week of insanity behind us.

The thing is though if people want to do it, no one is getting harmed? It makes me think of the guys who lost there lives when I hear it which isn't a bad thing

You see, it's almost impossible to come up with a good answer to this, especially a one which doesn't make me look like a heartless sod, but if you were to ask people clapping why they are doing it I bet they couldn't come up with a good response either. It's just an odd phenomenon.

There's nothing technically harmful about it though, you're right. It's just something which really shouldn't be happening anymore.

Why do you want to think of 2 strangers who lost their lives when you're watching football? It's just plain weird.

Why do you want to think of 2 strangers who lost their lives when your watching football? It's just plain weird.

Even if you're not clapping, you're thinking of why other people are clapping. Impossible to ignore.

You see, it's almost impossible to come up with a good answer to this, especially a one which doesn't make me look like a heartless sod, but if you were to ask people clapping why they are doing it I bet they couldn't come up with a good response either. It's just an odd phenomenon.

There's nothing technically harmful about it though, you're right. It's just something which really shouldn't be happening anymore.

Especially since they wouldn't spend two years commemorating someone they actually knew that died.

Guest firetotheworks

It's just virtue signalling. For some it's showing that you're not racist, xenophobic, islamophobic etc by going massively overboard with disdain towards those things. For others it's going massively overboard with their supposed respecting of the dead/soldiers etc. Either way it's a completely phoney, selfish act considering the victims families themselves specifically asked people to stop doing it about 2 years ago.

It's just virtue signalling. For some it's showing that you're not racist, xenophobic, islamophobic etc by going massively overboard with disdain towards those things. For others it's going massively overboard with their supposed respecting of the dead/soldiers etc. Either way it's a completely phoney, selfish act considering the victims families themselves specifically asked people to stop doing it about 2 years ago.

Johns family did - Liams family still go and sit near me, they still stand and applaud.

Especially since they wouldn't spend two years commemorating someone they actually knew that died.

It's just Grief vampiring. Needs to stop.

Guest firetotheworks

Johns family did - Liams family still go and sit near me, they still stand and applaud.

:thup:

Fair enough on that point then. I still believe the rest, mind.

They are personally affected though and it being a public arena you would sort of expect it. It's the ones who aren't friends or family I don't get.

:thup:

Fair enough on that point then. I still believe the rest, mind.

Same here mate. I don't understand the whole applauding of people you don't know.

Anyway, 4-0 on Saturday. Shelvey to score direct from a corner at Gallowgate and go wild.

Guest neesy111

The rage owa clapping is getting a lot worse than the clapping itself. Clapping inception.

Like wise with people moaning on about the moaning of the clapping.

Guest Howaythetoon

This will be my first match since this debacle http://www.nufc.com/html/2014-15html/2014-09-20hull-h.html which was my first match since http://www.nufc.com/html/2013-14html/2014-05-03cardiff-h.html.

I've been to about 5 or so games since we were last relegated in between those matches. Only going because I have family coming from the West Midlands, my cousin who is a Brum fan will be among us. People I've seen once in the last 20 years. My sis is also coming from London, her first match since QPR away final game of our last Championship season. As a company we are treating some of the lads too with tickets, drinks and a meal.

Don't know how I feel to be honest, based on watching us on telly this season I'm not too sure the passion will be there 100%.

Cheers Pardew btw for fucking ruining my love of NUFC!