Brighton & Hove Albion 1-2 Newcastle United - post match jubilation from p54

Greg

Random point but, aside from his bizzare adamance regarding the penalty decision, I enjoyed that commentator tonight. His enthusiasm for the contest seemed pretty genuine and both goals were good and shouty. :aww:

Didn't realise Hughton had taken both Baldock and Knockaert off by the time we scored our second. Obviously don't know the Brighton bench or what type of players he replaced them with, but seems like a weird couple of subs.

Hughts shit the bed after we equalised like. A striker off for a holding midfielder and a flying winger off for a sit in wide midfielder. Completely handed us the initiative.

A great result and we certainly deserved something from the game - the Brighton pen was a travesty.....I have seen replays 3 times and there is NO way Clark should have been penalised for a so-called holding offence - both players challenged for the ball in the area and Clark was actually underneath the Brighton player when they fell so Diame's fortunate equalizer had the rich smell of justice being done at last..!

Although that was good fortune, we played better after Brighton's pen and virtually dominated the rest of the half - if any player will be remembered for his contribution in this vital game it will be Atsu ; his pace, directness and beating of their LB once the rest of our team began to find him on a regular basis unsettled Brighton's plan and we began to dominate possession. Dummet stuck to his task against Knockaert and didn't get drawn into a silly challenge..Knockaert IS a good player, no doubt, although on the night it was Atsu's pace that made him the more effective winger.

For me, this was the best performance for weeks in that there was far more attacking urgency, no doubt forced on the side because of the ref's lousy decision. Gouffran should have settled the game when he forced an error from their keeper but instead of dribbling around him chose to attempt a shot immediately and the chance was lost but fittingly it was a fabulous ball to Atsu and his great pass into Perez that gave us the points.

Despite BHA's attempts to shut him down, Shelvey gave a great performance and they never really succeeded in stopping him producing some great passes and Ritchie also had an excellent game - he also would have settled the result had Murphy passed to him instead of shooting himself.

Whilst a draw would have been acceptable, there is no way we deserved to lose this game and it was a priceless result because I believe we will face an even tougher job at an in-form Huddersfield...win that and some breathing space will have been well and truly earned.

A great result and we certainly deserved something from the game - the Brighton pen was a travesty.....I have seen replays 3 times and there is NO way Clark should have been penalised for a so-called holding offence - both players challenged for the ball in the area and Clark was actually underneath the Brighton player when they fell so Diame's fortunate equalizer had the rich smell of justice being done at last..!

Although that was good fortune, we played better after Brighton's pen and virtually dominated the rest of the half - if any player will be remembered for his contribution in this vital game it will be Atsu ; his pace, directness and beating of their LB once the rest of our team began to find him on a regular basis unsettled Brighton's plan and we began to dominate possession. Dummet stuck to his task against Knockaert and didn't get drawn into a silly challenge..Knockaert IS a good player, no doubt, although on the night it was Atsu's pace that made him the more effective winger.

For me, this was the best performance for weeks in that there was far more attacking urgency, no doubt forced on the side because of the ref's lousy decision. Gouffran should have settled the game when he forced an error from their keeper but instead of dribbling around him chose to attempt a shot immediately and the chance was lost but fittingly it was a fabulous ball to Atsu and his great pass into Perez that gave us the points.

Despite BHA's attempts to shut him down, Shelvey gave a great performance and they never really succeeded in stopping him producing some great passes and Ritchie also had an excellent game - he also would have settled the result had Murphy passed to him instead of shooting himself.

Whilst a draw would have been acceptable, there is no way we deserved to lose this game and it was a priceless result because I believe we will face an even tougher job at an in-form Huddersfield...win that and some breathing space will have been well and truly earned.

Great post.....summed up perfectly.

Credit to the lads, Rafa fucked up but changed it, albeit late, he got away with it imho. Still a massive win , massive, and on to Hudders where if we draw its job done for me and we should go up.

Brilliant turnaround from a shite start, loads of bedwetting, and a few vodkas too many.

Happy days  :D

I'm hoping too see a few better performances after that confidence boost. I'm sure we're feeling under pressure and that leads to a lot of our individual errors and tentative touches.

Tentative sums us up really. It makes us hideous to watch at times.

In the end, the result may prove far more important than the performance, and we can approach the next two games with more aggression and confidence.

that was an interesting game, i'm pleased the lads in the studio questioned the penalty like after the match commentators were so for it...the key for me isn't actually the holding or lack of, it's that clark doesn't actually move...murray did a pathetic little spin thing but clark didn't buy it and stood his ground so murray was then trying to run through him which led to him falling on top of clark

also having seen diame move back to CM can we please never see colback again?  the contrast between the two is fucking ridiculous :lol:

that was an interesting game, i'm pleased the lads in the studio questioned the penalty like after the match commentators were so for it...the key for me isn't actually the holding or lack of, it's that clark doesn't actually move...murray did a pathetic little spin thing but clark didn't buy it and stood his ground so murray was then trying to run through him which led to him falling on top of clark

also having seen diame move back to CM can we please never see colback again?  the contrast between the two is f***ing ridiculous :lol:

Agree about the penalty thing - if anything, its 6 of 1, half a dozen the other... both were holding. But the commentators were saying Clark never watched the ball, hence his intent to foul Murray... but when you watch it, whilst having and arm around Murray, he is looking in the direction of the ball at all times.

Feared the worst when they got that penalty, but all credit to us for fighting back, and turning the result around.

Said it last night... just a massive result in the promotion (and maybe title) race, and hopefully gives us confidence and momentum for Saturday.

also having seen diame move back to CM can we please never see colback again?  the contrast between the two is fucking ridiculous :lol:

If thats a pen- we have been robbed of maybe 10 pens this season, and thier should be 3 or 4 in every game- utter nonsense. the ref was gagging to give it total cunt.

So pleased we won and hope we do on saturday- Sky were itching to see us fall, thats why two crucial away games are both on, they wanted to see us fail and have a two game montage of our fans stunned and then crying as it all fell down, to show all summer.

also having seen diame move back to CM can we please never see colback again?  the contrast between the two is fucking ridiculous [emoji38]

If thats a pen- we have been robbed of maybe 10 pens this season, and thier should be 3 or 4 in every game- utter nonsense. the ref was gagging to give it total cunt.

So pleased we won and hope we do on saturday- Sky were itching to see us fall, thats why two crucial away games are both on, they wanted to see us fail and have a two game montage of our fans stunned and then crying as it all fell down, to show all summer.

Sky will have hated Rob Lee being positive about us too. Begs the question,    how come they never had him in for all of those Derbies when we've had a mixture or both of Ratboy and Niall Quim?

I still reckon in terms of leadership and quality they are second only to us, so they will be fine. To beat them twice is great, but the manner in which we've done it is even more satisfying for me. They got an extremely fortunate penalty decision and from there we bossed them and were unlucky not to end the first half with a goal. Again I think they started the second half the strongest for the opening 5-10 minutes, but after that we sussed them again and dominated play. Our goal might have been extremely fortunate, but so was theirs and we'd played well enough to merit that luck and the win.

I think these types of wins are perhaps more telling of the quality indicator than some of the results we've had against the likes of Blackburn, Bristol City etc. because in this league, teams are going to want to come to us and frustrate us by sitting back, where we sometimes can lack the real directness and quality to open them up and put our chances away. In the Premiership teams are more likely to attack us, and that suits Rafa's gameplan better, I feel he'll enjoy being the underdog more than the favourite in all these games if we go up. Also thinking about it the vast majority of the goals we've conceded in the last 5 games are the result of individual howlers (or ridiculous refereeing decisions, taking into account this game) and not collectively as a team. Obviously this means we need to make improvements in the summer due to a lack of quality, but it's very promising that - as a unit- the team are performing extremely well defensively, despite some disappointing results.

We still have a lot of improvements to make in the squad department, but I'm sure Rafa will get the backing he wants and he already has a list drawn up of who he wants. Next season will be a rollercoaster, and it definitely won't be pretty, but I think we could possibly surprise a few people.

I still reckon in terms of leadership and quality they are second only to us, so they will be fine. To beat them twice is great, but the manner in which we've done it is even more satisfying for me. They got an extremely fortunate penalty decision and from there we bossed them and were unlucky not to end the first half with a goal. Again I think they started the second half the strongest for the opening 5-10 minutes, but after that we sussed them again and dominated play. Our goal might have been extremely fortunate, but so was theirs and we'd played well enough to merit that luck and the win.

I think these types of wins are perhaps more telling of the quality indicator than some of the results we've had against the likes of Blackburn, Bristol City etc. because in this league, teams are going to want to come to us and frustrate us by sitting back, where we sometimes can lack the real directness and quality to open them up and put our chances away. In the Premiership teams are more likely to attack us, and that suits Rafa's gameplan better, I feel he'll enjoy being the underdog more than the favourite in all these games if we go up. Also thinking about it the vast majority of the goals we've conceded in the last 5 games are the result of individual howlers (or ridiculous refereeing decisions, taking into account this game) and not collectively as a team. Obviously this means we need to make improvements in the summer due to a lack of quality, but it's very promising that - as a unit- the team are performing extremely well defensively, despite some disappointing results.

We still have a lot of improvements to make in the squad department, but I'm sure Rafa will get the backing he wants and he already has a list drawn up of who he wants. Next season will be a rollercoaster, and it definitely won't be pretty, but I think we could possibly surprise a few people.

Good post but you're sure Rafa will get the backing that he wants? Really?