The other games today 2017/18

Greg

I still am convinced there is an inherent and unworkable contradiction to the entire concept when applied to a sport like football.

At the moment in Serie A they are spending a huge amount of time on multiple decisions during a game. This last one was a free-kick given at the edge of the box that was reviewed by the ref under pressure from Inter players. 5 minutes was spent as the video ref reviewed a very close call. Obviously multiple angles needed to be watched as it was very marginal and difficult to tell. Eventually the decision was changed and given as a penalty instead. Perhaps - from watching it - the correct decision was made. However it was extremely close, and still could be debated. Then they added 2 minutes on at the end of the half, despite wasting at least 4 minutes on this decision.

The argument is that these problems of time waste will be ironed out as the actors become more used to the system. I'm not convinced, but I will admit it's likely to improve. This is not my major issue though. My issue is that there is a continued unfairness to the choice of decisions that are being reviewed. If you only review certain decisions in a match then there is an unfairness in the decisions which don't get reviewed. You may correctly call a 'big' decision in favour of a team on review, but this counts for little if you don't review one for the other team. Or what is more likely is you correctly review a big decision in favour of one team, but then don't review numerous small decisions against the opposition. Small decisions which are not judged suitable for a review, but cumulatively are just as damaging to this team's efforts.

Basically, there is an inherent problem whatever you try to do. Review too little and there is a risk of unfairness, review too much and you destroy the flow and momentum of a sport where the clock doesn't stop. I'm not sure this can ever be fixed sufficiently.

I just don't think we need to be striving for perfection at all with football like, I get why the concept of having no wrong decisions sounds appealing but we're getting further and further away from the game we watch to the one we play ourselves.

I'd probably go as far as limiting the number of cameras at games and removing Gary Neville's super duper hawkeye computer from him so we're not retrospectively analysing everything after the fact to a weirdly microscopic level, there's just no need for any of it.

Canny finish that by Wood.

Early days but another signing people on here thought was too much and turned their noses up at.

I was one them but stand by it. Wood suites Burnley's style of play. I don't think he'd be a good fit for us same as I don't think Mitro is.

Agree with Sewelly. The Mane red card yesterday encapsulates the subjectivity of so many decisions in football. It's a nice idea in theory but in practice I don't think it's going to improve things, and will annoy everyone far too much.

Canny finish that by Wood.

Early days but another signing people on here thought was too much and turned their noses up at.

I was one them but stand by it. Wood suites Burnley's style of play. I don't think he'd be a good fit for us same as I don't think Mitro is.

Fair enough, was referring more to the going rate for players, particularly strikers in form.

Guest neesy111

I actually rate Wood and think £15 million is about right for him, he'll do well for Burnley. That said I wouldn't have been sold on him here as he's not the kind of striker I wanted us to sign.

:thup:

I still am convinced there is an inherent and unworkable contradiction to the entire concept when applied to a sport like football.

At the moment in Serie A they are spending a huge amount of time on multiple decisions during a game. This last one was a free-kick given at the edge of the box that was reviewed by the ref under pressure from Inter players. 5 minutes was spent as the video ref reviewed a very close call. Obviously multiple angles needed to be watched as it was very marginal and difficult to tell. Eventually the decision was changed and given as a penalty instead. Perhaps - from watching it - the correct decision was made. However it was extremely close, and still could be debated. Then they added 2 minutes on at the end of the half, despite wasting at least 4 minutes on this decision.

The argument is that these problems of time waste will be ironed out as the actors become more used to the system. I'm not convinced, but I will admit it's likely to improve. This is not my major issue though. My issue is that there is a continued unfairness to the choice of decisions that are being reviewed. If you only review certain decisions in a match then there is an unfairness in the decisions which don't get reviewed. You may correctly call a 'big' decision in favour of a team on review, but this counts for little if you don't review one for the other team. Or what is more likely is you correctly review a big decision in favour of one team, but then don't review numerous small decisions against the opposition. Small decisions which are not judged suitable for a review, but cumulatively are just as damaging to this team's efforts.

Basically, there is an inherent problem whatever you try to do. Review too little and there is a risk of unfairness, review too much and you destroy the flow and momentum of a sport where the clock doesn't stop. I'm not sure this can ever be fixed sufficiently.

Excellent post! :thup:

To be honest. I'm more and more becoming in favour of that stopping the clock everytime it goes out of play rule.

Yeah, I'm with this solution. 60 minutes, ball stops everytime it goes out or play is stopped for whatever reason. Cuts out diving and time wasting near the end of the match etc too.

Guest neesy111

To be honest. I'm more and more becoming in favour of that stopping the clock everytime it goes out of play rule.

Yeah, I'm with this solution. 60 minutes, ball stops everytime it goes out or play is stopped for whatever reason. Cuts out diving and time wasting near the end of the match etc too.

Fans are being ripped off imo.

One Burnley game this season and they found the ball was only in play for 47 minutes.