Newcastle United 1 - 0 Burton Albion - 05/04/17 - NUFC relegated to League Two

Dave

Just seen the penalty farce.

Man ... If we had lost or even drawn this game due to that decision. Phew.

Just glad it all worked out. Can't wait for this season to be over, hopefully with us successfully promoted automatically.

That ref was a joke tonight.

Another bizarre moment was their player going down with a head injury and not having to leave the field? On the deck for about 5 minutes and continued straight away. Only 3 minutes added on to the first half. This league is embarrassing. :lol:

Just watched the highlights. I'm not sure which is the bigger error. Penalty cancellation or the fact he gave a penalty in the first place. Nice goal and it looked liked we were playing at a higher tempo than of late.

Guest neesy111

Missed all of this. To recap, correct me if I'm wrong, we won but the level of N-O bitchin' n' moanin' reached critical mass at some point?

The ref made the worst mistake I have ever seen basically. He didn't know the rules.

:thup:

Beggars belief that first post mind.

Just watched the highlights. I'm not sure which is the bigger error. Penalty cancellation or the fact he gave a penalty in the first place. Nice goal and it looked liked we were playing at a higher tempo than of late.

Gayle throws himself to the floor a bit but I was there and near the incident it the initial contact was closer than it looks on TV, it was a penalty.

Away from the incident I have to say even though Burton were on the back foot, for a lot of the game they organised their backline rather well. Up against other teams and that organisation would result in points. On a whole their story is nothing short of a fairytale. They were the but of jokes when we got relegated, but they have took it on the chin, dare I say it their fans have enjoyed being the underdog somewhat. Good luck to them in future, they are 4 points away from the relegation zone with a few teams separating them, and at this stage of the season that's fantastic, especially when you consider that they were expected to be where Rotherham are now.

Missed all of this. To recap, correct me if I'm wrong, we won but the level of N-O bitchin' n' moanin' reached critical mass at some point?

The ref made the worst mistake I have ever seen basically. He didn't know the rules.

:thup:

Beggars belief that first post mind.

That there was genuine cause for frustration despite winning is a deviation from the norm.

Just got home. f***ing A1 closed (and then M62 grrrrr) probably Keith Stroud driving down the wrong carriageway.... Highway Code Keef, read the f***ing rules, man.

FWIW, I thought we played ok. Shelvey was a bit off the pace and Perez lacked purpose/drive; a couple of glimpses of what he 'could be' great touches/movement but largely anonymous.

Quite surprised people thought Mbemba and Atsu had s*** games. Bar one attempted kung fu kick at the ball when he should have left it for Darlow, I thought Chancel was pretty steady and made at least half a dozen good interceptions and blocks. Couple of good headed clearances spring to mind also. Atsu looked like he had real fire in his belly. Thought he had a great first half (a view shared by Ritchie, judging by the amount of praise he was giving him in the way off). After the penalty debacle  (Stroud also missed a more clear pen, imo, early on) Atsu was in overdrive, really took the game to (the mighty) Burton. Accept his end product is often off key, but if it wasn't he'd be playing for Chelsea. Basically I liked what he did tonight.

Oh, and whilst I think on, I can't stand how much moaning and groaning is going on at home games lately. The disapproving groans were off the Richter scale a couple of times. How the f*** does that help? Moaning entitled t***s. Most attempts at something non-Colbackesque don't come off, moaning like entitled princesses when it goes wrong isn't going to encourage wingers to try and beat a man, or midfielders to go for the low probability through pass. It used to be the Makems who had the reputation for getting on their own players backs, seems to me that we're now pretty hard to beat in this dept. Sadly.

Agreed about the home crowd. Absolutely bollocks, no atmosphere and just get on the player's backs. Aye it can be frustrating but when we're pushing for a goal roaring the team on every time we drive forward is going to encourage them, not moaning and groaning when something doesn't come off.

Just watched the highlights. I'm not sure which is the bigger error. Penalty cancellation or the fact he gave a penalty in the first place.

There's a big difference between misjudging a foul and ignorance about a fairly basic law of the game. Particularly when it seems that the fourth official was trying to help him out. That's what the fuss is about.

Whatever you think about their competence, referees at that level are dedicated individuals, and the bloke must be feeling crap. He will have devoted a major part of his life to reaching that level. Luckily for him, it didn't affect the result.

Just watched the highlights. I'm not sure which is the bigger error. Penalty cancellation or the fact he gave a penalty in the first place.

There's a big difference between misjudging a foul and ignorance about a fairly basic law of the game. Particularly when it seems that the fourth official was trying to help him out. That's what the fuss is about.

Whatever you think about their competence, referees at that level are dedicated individuals, and the bloke must be feeling crap. He will have devoted a major part of his life to reaching that level. Luckily for him, it didn't affect the result.

I think you've took what I've said a little too literally :lol:

What I was trying to point out that no one seemed to of mentioned from the few pages I read was that it wasn't a penalty in the first place.