Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Newcastle United - Post-match kneejerk bukkake from p. 22

Kaizero

Genuinely think the rose tinted glasses come out a bit for 09/10 - just looking at some of the fixtures I remember seeing live in second half of that season. We were lucky to salvage a draw at Bristol City in March, absolutely terrible in a 3-2 win at Peterborough and scraped past Doncaster by one goal. And I seem to remember us being pretty bad on last game of the season vs QPR, although a dead game. We really weren't smashing teams to pieces with amazing football.

Between the start of February immediately after Routledge's arrival and wrapping promotion up in early April we won by 3+ goals 6 times. :lol:  We were smashing teams.

We've done it 5 times this season, for a bit of perspective.

Thank fuck Huddersfield where beat today ! Deffo the worst I've felt about a defeat all season.... Brighton have been the best team in the league this season by a mile,  and we are shite, honestly don't know how we are even 10 points clear of 3rd place cus we have been shite all season.... Don't get me wrong, I've loved caring about us again, I've loved urging us to win and when we don't i love being fucked off i just genuinely loved caring again... I know it's a cliché now and people have been saying it on this forum but it's true and it's down to Rafa obviously... But this season has not been enjoyable in the slightest bar that 9 game run we went on ,it's been tough to watch, just hope we crawl through the finishing line , and Rafa is given full control to do what he wants next season cus if not we are clean fucked

We're hardly crawling across but yeah for various reasons, particularly once again suitability and varying quality of the team it's been much harder than expected. Rafa is of course culpable a not insignificant degree but we were the absolute pits a year back. A defeat is never easy to swallow but Sheffield Wednesday had plenty about them. That move when they hit the bar in the 2nd minute was lovely.

why was Atsu dropped for this game?

I think he had earned his place yesterday, with Wednesday's performance. He brings a bit of attacking purpose and unpredictability. With the confidence that can come from regular starts and feeling relied upon, I think there is a very good player in there. Suspect Guoffran is seen as a safer more positionally savvy option. Sometimes you have to just take it the opposition, get right into their faces; preferably when there is more than 10 minutes left (E.g. Mitro & Murphy, even with limitations, really rattled their defence). I think Atsu may have provided this, or at least had more likelihood of doing so than Guoffran.

When Mbemba came in for Hanley instead of Lascelles, I was one of a few who didn't like it. Not much of a difference between the two but at the tail end of the season, when Lascelles is clearly out of form, Hanley can come in and takeover. He's been a captain in this league before so at least has experience on his side and we need a bit of steel mentally and physically right now. But hey, WE GO AGAIN.

I wonder if the Huddersfield result had an impact. Psychologically maybe they thought it was job done. Certainly didn't look sharp and won very few 2nd balls. Poor display and deserved defeat. Shame as a win would've set us up nicely for Leeds.

Guest gallows

why was Atsu dropped for this game?

Because he's s**** and can't cross a ball.

... and Gouffran is better I suppose  :jesuswept: