Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Colo - the best when pressed. Best first touch and ball control. A little like Rio on the ball - a good passer but generally just comfortable in possession and moving forward.

Bramble - a two-footed long passer which is exceptionally impressive for an English defender. Would hit a lot in the stands.

Woodgate - genuinely struggling to remember him. Was more in the Colo/Rio bracket of being a great footballer but maybe not as impressive range of passing. That composure under pressure to just bring the ball out.

Think Lejeune is more in the long passer type. Maybe not so good at relieving pressure by just carrying out but better at starting attacks.

Having a centreback that can ping the ball from LCB to an advanced RW or even over the top is a great option. Is it Barzagli that did it a lot for Italy at the Euros?

woodgate had it all, i doubt i'll see a better CB ever play for us...granted he didn't have a bramble/lejeune 60 yard diagonal to feet but his medium range passing was excellent

The guy was one of the most cultured defenders that England could ever produce. Really a fluke.

Lejeune has flown under the radar a bit this season but when he's been alongside Lascelles it's been a really good partnership, particularly towards the end of the season. I actually rate Clark and Mbemba too, and with Dummett we're decently well covered at CB. Sounds like Mbemba is leaving mind.

I dunno Clark was solid in the championship but looked poor this season. Mbemba has potential but clearly not Rafa's trust, I expect him to go. Dummet would certainly be my first choice backup CB and Clark is ok for a third choice but that opens up needing quality left back replacement that Manquillo isn't/

Lejeune has flown under the radar a bit this season but when he's been alongside Lascelles it's been a really good partnership, particularly towards the end of the season. I actually rate Clark and Mbemba too, and with Dummett we're decently well covered at CB. Sounds like Mbemba is leaving mind.

I thought he was ok in the back 3 we played too. Worked about as well as you could expect for a defence lacking Lascelles.

I reckon might Clark might get the chop too, if they can find a replacement. I have a lot of time for Clark, he should be top of any championship sides shopping list. He's easily worth 10m to a ambitious championship side.

7m + Clark for Gibson would make alot of sense. Won't happen like.

I reckon might Clark might get the chop too, if they can find a replacement. I have a lot of time for Clark, he should be top of any championship sides shopping list. He's easily worth 10m to a ambitious championship side.

7m + Clark for Gibson would make alot of sense. Won't happen like.

not even necessarily gibson but deals like that would take smart people on our end :yao:

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Woodgate best I’ve seen also (though I did love Glenn Roeder, as a kid). Woodgate versus Drogba in the UEFA cup semi at SJP was awesome. Drogba probably edged the duel, but it was a treat to see two top class players competing at full pelt. I couldn’t even recall the score (until I checked, 0-0) but I can still picture one instance with the two of them running shoulder to shoulder at absolute break neck speed in line with the East side of the six yard box. Every sinew straining, Drogba looking like at any second he was going to power past and shoot. He didn’t get the chance. Woodgste stayed with him every step of the way. It’s hard to capture in words, but it was just such an immense tussle so full of determination, it has really stayed with me. I think Woodgate may have been injured, as well as a few others, for the return match, where we were beaten/couldn’t keep young Drogba well marshalled.

Absolutely love this. Woodgate was absolutely belta

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I dunno Clark was solid in the championship but looked poor this season. Mbemba has potential but clearly not Rafa's trust, I expect him to go. Dummet would certainly be my first choice backup CB and Clark is ok for a third choice but that opens up needing quality left back replacement that Manquillo isn't/

Aye, Clark's a good championship defender. Good squad player to have around so wouldn't be too upset if we didn't flog him, especially as he can play CB and LB if needed.  Can't image his wages are that mad either

Guest Howaythetoon

Woodgate had it all, there is a reason Real Madrid wanted him. He was a very classy player who just oozed confidence and gave others confidence. He wasn’t rapid, but he was quick enough and even quicker in the head which is always the starting point or should be for a modern centre-back. It’s just a shame he was made of glass and even if he wasn’t his attitude and lifestyle away from the training pitch would have prevented him being another Rio Ferdinand for example. Bramble was massively talented, and had it all, but unlike Woodgate he didn’t have that critical ability to think quickly enough. Colo was the nearest to Woodgate, but his heart went towards the end and who could blame him. Peacock was a solid no nonsense CB and Albert, well he was a one off. It’s a myth we’ve never had good defenders, it’s just that more often than not we haven’t had a good team and when we did, we were defensively good especially under KK and Sir Bobby.

• 2 months later...